Missing TB discovered on the net?

trekmiss

My TB Amachamee has been missing for 6 years, and suddenly, today, it gets a discovered log saying it was seen on the net. What? I've tried google to see if I could find where it may have been seen. Nothing. Curious where it is and who has it.

Probably the only thing that was discovered was the number, not the trackable itself; either in a picture showing the tracking number of just a list of numbers. Or if it is one of the old TBs with just numeric (not alphanumeric) designation--a random number generator.

Why not send a message to the discoverer, they may actually reply to let you know. Dont count on it but its worth a try

Tried that, but they said they saw it on the internet, but wouldn't tell me where. I've searched the tracking number, name, etc. I haven't found the source, yet, but I was surprised at how many FB groups exist just for the sake of logging TBs they have never seen. Not sure I understand the point? Oh well... I guess I'll have to keep deleting logs till I get tired of it.

As noted elsewhere, that happened to me too. There are Facebook pages with lists of trackables that he owners want discovered. Some of those cachers also type in random numbers until a trackable is discovered. Those couch potatoes tend to use a blanket statement on all the 'discovered' logs, such as:

Discovering some Trackables from images I took or found.

Some of them were taken long ago.

I hope I have read all codes correctly, some of the numbers were a bit vague.

Thanks for sharing.

(That was copied from a trackable from 2005, in 'unknown', with only that log.) The ones of mine he 'discovered' have been missing since 2009.

If only one geocacher has logged it, then it was most likely from typing in random numbers.

Some people need a hobby, I guess.

Groundspeak has no interest in such couch potato loggers.

Delete.

Username adremi has now discovered several of mine and that I follow. I've deleted the logs on mine. These are old TBs, so I guess he must be using a number generator or doing a lot of guessing. Seems incredibly boring to me! I live in Bolivia, where caching really just won't work with the third world culture. I miss it, but I cannot imagine how armchair logging TBs comes even close to the thrill of finding a TB in a cache!

PS: Is there a way to report this user for abusing or misusing the site?

Edited by trekmiss

Username adremi has now discovered several of mine and that I follow. I've deleted the logs on mine. These are old TBs, so I guess he must be using a number generator or doing a lot of guessing. Seems incredibly boring to me! I live in Bolivia, where caching really just won't work with the third world culture. I miss it, but I cannot imagine how armchair logging TBs comes even close to the thrill of finding a TB in a cache!

PS: Is there a way to report this user for abusing or misusing the site?

That is the same username that discovered ours!

We had a couple of those today as well. Must be a new a list of numbers recently.

User was:

ranger_jurchik

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=a316c78a-709f-453e-8ca2-437159092c47

3740 trackables logged in under a year and a half.

I don't get what the point is...

My first thought was some type of phishing effort, but I don't really know.

Deleted the logs and moved on.

Adremi (from the Czech Republic) several others have been "Discovering" several of my TB's...

01/15/2015 adremi discovered it

Díky za ukázku, viděno na netu.

Thanks for the show, seen on the net.

These TB's have been missing for many years and have been set as Missing. I asked Groundspeak to delete the TB's but they replied "We do not delete trackables from the system."

I'm tired of deleting the false finds of unscrupulous players. Does anyone have any suggestions onhow to stop this practice?

It seems my only option is to delete my GC account, change the password and start using OpenCaching.

I asked Groundspeak to delete the TB's but they replied "We do not delete trackables from the system."

I'm tired of deleting the false finds of unscrupulous players. Does anyone have any suggestions onhow to stop this practice?

It seems my only option is to delete my GC account, change the password and start using OpenCaching.

Groundspeak won't delete your account.

They can lock a Trackable. No further logs would occur. You may delete the false logs just before that happens.

So now there are *******s who sit around and repetitiously enter numbers into the TB system until they get a hit.

Probably not exactly like that. Probably someone wrote a program that does at least the repetitious part, maybe even the actual logging. Then they shared the program with their like-minded friends. Are they only doing the numeric codes? I suppose it's only a matter of time until they do the alphanumeric codes as well.

I wish there was a way to report this

You can report this using the general contact form in the Help Center.

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=request

I'd call this 16. Geocacher Disagreement, because you disagree with so the phoney logging. That's not quite right, but it will get your complaint to the right people who handle misbehavior on the site.

I reported the gentleman from the Netherlands who logged mine. Never hard back from Groundspeak. I figured they did not care.

So now there are *******s who sit around and repetitiously enter numbers into the TB system until they get a hit.

Probably not exactly like that. Probably someone wrote a program that does at least the repetitious part, maybe even the actual logging. Then they shared the program with their like-minded friends. Are they only doing the numeric codes? I suppose it's only a matter of time until they do the alphanumeric codes as well.

Interesting. I took the tracking number from one of mine, typed in one number higher, and higher. The next five numbers (that are active) were logged by the Netherlander. Guess that's one way to do it.

Interesting. I took the tracking number from one of mine, typed in one number higher, and higher. The next five numbers (that are active) were logged by the Netherlander. Guess that's one way to do it.

And imagine what fun he could have had by taking the TBs to visit all of the caches he found.

So now there are *******s who sit around and repetitiously enter numbers into the TB system until they get a hit. Perhaps Groundspeak should update the system to include a wait time of a few minutes after someone puts in 3 incorrect numbers.

I like the wait time idea as it can be programmed easily