Trackable not logged in cache...

Jeobrit

It's 'nice' to give whoever has it now, a chance to drop it...

(Depends on how long ago they found the cache)

A trackable has a code number to log it. Enter the tracking code here.

After entering the code, it takes you to the trackable's page.

Click on "Found it? Log it!".

You can "grab it" from wherever it is now.

Once the TB is 'in your possession' you could VISIT it to the cache you found it in.

Once the TB is 'in your possession' you could VISIT it to the cache you found it in.

Sorry, was something I said incorrect?

I think B&R was just pointing out that the previous holder of the TB may have physically dropped it into that cache, but may not have logged it on the system yet.

In general it's a good idea to wait a few days before filing a 'Grab' log to give them a chance to file a 'Drop' log.

You can also look on the TB's page to see who'd SUPPOSED to have it, and send them a msg before grabbing it - that's what I consider to be polite. Ask them to file a 'Drop' log. That way, the mileage is probably closer to the truth.

(Edited to fix spelling.)

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

No. :)

Thank you guys for the help:) what if it has been a long while ? Should I just visit it?

If it's been a while since it was dropped in the cache, GRAB it, VISIT* it to the cache, then continue it on it's travels and DROP it in another cache. :)

(Helps to keep 'some' sense of mileage.)

You can either add a NOTE log, or EDIT your Found log.

DONT post the trackable number -the one on the tag- in your log/note.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I would say you should visit the TB to the cache you found it in. It was in the cache. The on-line log should reflect that.

By the way, when you grab the TB, make sure to explain in the grab log where you found the TB and why you needed to grab it.

Eh. Maybe it's nice, but it's not a requirement. I almost never delay a grab. In particular, don't hold a TB too long just because you're waiting for someone else to log a previous drop. And definitely don't delay logging your drop because the guy before you hasn't yet logged his drop.

Eh. Maybe it's nice, but it's not a requirement. I almost never delay a grab. In particular, don't hold a TB too long just because you're waiting for someone else to log a previous drop. And definitely don't delay logging your drop because the guy before you hasn't yet logged his drop.

Hey, dprovan - I don't log from the field, so if you ever come across a TB that says it's in my possession, please give me a day before you grab it from me. I promise I'll log the drop as soon as I can.

Please give the holder a chance to log it into the cache.

I get a bit annoyed when a trackable is grabbed from me before I have got home and done my logging; especially if I am on holiday or a weekend away.

When I have grabbed a coin that another cacher has placed in a cache and not logged it, i will then place it in the cache I found it. I also give the cacher a courtesy message to explain what I have done. That way the owner knows where it has been, and the other cacher does not have his/her toes stepped on, as well as the trackable being accurately recorded

Hey, dprovan - I don't log from the field, so if you ever come across a TB that says it's in my possession, please give me a day before you grab it from me. I promise I'll log the drop as soon as I can.

+1

It's very irritating when someone prematurely grabs a trackable. It won't kill you to wait a day to allow the cacher to properly log the trackable.

I'll properly log it myself, thank you very much, but it might be a few hours until I get home at the end of my day of caching. Patience, young grasshopper...

+1

It's very irritating when someone prematurely grabs a trackable. It won't kill you to wait a day to allow the cacher to properly log the trackable.

I'll properly log it myself, thank you very much, but it might be a few hours until I get home at the end of my day of caching. Patience, young grasshopper...

Log from the field????? I guess that's something that a person with a smartphone can do.

Meh, I wait until I get home and use the computer. Cuz we don't gots no smarts phone, eh?

B.

I don't log from the field, either, so I'll tend to give you until midnight, at least. I might even wait until the next day if I saw in the paper log that you found it earlier that day, although I think that's happened to me maybe twice.

But for the same reason, in those rare cases where I'm logging at the end of the day before you do, why is it such a big deal if I grab it? You can still file a note. If it were me, I'd find it amusing that someone found it in the cache and grabbed it from me before I had a chance to log it, so I really don't understand why other people find it annoying.

I don't log from the field, either, so I'll tend to give you until midnight, at least. I might even wait until the next day if I saw in the paper log that you found it earlier that day, although I think that's happened to me maybe twice.

But for the same reason, in those rare cases where I'm logging at the end of the day before you do, why is it such a big deal if I grab it? You can still file a note. If it were me, I'd find it amusing that someone found it in the cache and grabbed it from me before I had a chance to log it, so I really don't understand why other people find it annoying.

Because it messes up:

•  
  • The TB's history,
  • The TB's mileage,
  • My ability to file a proper log,
  • My history and
  • My public standing as a geocacher. ("Oh, that guy never dropped that TB!")

Everybody has their own rules for the game by design, but for the parts where we interact, there should be some accommodation.

Unless you've waited for several days and haven't been able to contact the previous holder, it's kinda like someone cutting in front of me in a line at the movies. Yes, we'll all get in, but have a little respect.

But for the same reason, in those rare cases where I'm logging at the end of the day before you do, why is it such a big deal if I grab it? You can still file a note.
What I usually do is:
  • grab the trackable back, then delete the grab log to fix the trackable's history
  • drop the trackable normally

If I grabbed it from a person:

• send the person email letting them know that they'll need to grab it back before they can drop it anywhere

If I grabbed it from a geocache:

• drop it back in the geocache, then delete the drop log to fix the trackable's history

It's not a huge deal. But it's more involved than just dropping the trackable normally. And it might encourage me to delay logging for a while, until I have more time to deal with the extra hassle.

Because it messes up:

The TB's history,

The TB's mileage,

I had it visit the cache, so the TB's history and mileage are fine except for any visits you were planning to file. In fact, part of the reason I grabbed it early was because I was filing my Found log, so I needed the TB in order to properly log its visit.

My ability to file a proper log,

Sorry, I don't see a drop being all that much more proper than a note.

My history and

Eh. I supposed you could say that, but I see part of your history that I needed to grab the TB before you filed the drop.

My public standing as a geocacher. ("Oh, that guy never dropped that TB!")

Nonsense. Anyone can read the note you filed explaining how I got around to picking up the TB before you filed the drop. Besides, do you really care what someone thinks that doesn't understand that stuff happens, so sometimes a TB drop is delayed?

Everybody has their own rules for the game by design, but for the parts where we interact, there should be some accommodation.

Odd you should say that, since from my point of view you're not showing any willingness to accommodate me when I need to grab the TB to do my logging correctly. Especially since the accommodation I'm asking for amounts to asking you not to sweat a minor detail, while the accommodation you're asking for requires me to hold a TB longer than I wanted, file logs later than I wanted, and checking back day after day to see if you've actually filed any of the relevant logs.

And those requests only sound slightly reasonable because we're assuming you are, in fact, going to log the drop in the near future. In practice, the errant TB is rarely dropped at all, and in that more common case, the preemptive grab is exactly the right thing to do because it's putting a missing TB back in play.

Unless you've waited for several days and haven't been able to contact the previous holder, it's kinda like someone cutting in front of me in a line at the movies. Yes, we'll all get in, but have a little respect.

No, it's really not like cutting in line. It's like getting to the front of the line and taking care of your business instead of holding up the entire line waiting for someone that stepped out of line and may or may not return at some unspecified later time.

Several days?!!! Now we've gone from insisting I log leisurely so you can file your TB drop at the end of the day to me carrying the TB indefinitely without telling anyone where it is instead of dropping it the next day as I normally do.

What I usually do is:

• grab the trackable back, then delete the grab log to fix the trackable's history

Wow, great. Now you've undone my work and put the TB in the wrong place. How is that better? And if I don't notice what you did, the TB's no longer in my inventory, so I might forget I have it entirely. Not to mention you've made it look like I stole it and didn't log taking it.

I look at something like this and I wonder how you could possibly think that forcing me to follow your extraordinary actions and file a second retrieval to put the TB where I've already logged that it is is worth it just so you can file a Drop instead of a Note.

By the way, you say this as if it happens all the time to you. Seriously, I've done a small handful of grabs in my career where there was even the remotest chance of the listed TB holder wanting to file a log. And the 2 I remember, one ended up to be a case where the holder got sick, so he thanked me for grabbing the TB and logging it because he hadn't been able to yet, and the other turned out to be someone that had held the TB incommunicado for 6 months, dropped it 3 thousand miles from where it was last logged, but this was, in fact, just the day before I picked it up and he fully intended to log it when he got home from vacation. Yet you want me to consider your rare case -- where you actually did just drop the TB and have a dying need to log a Drop for it -- as the only situation I should consider. Honestly, I don't think I've ever run into that case except as a hypothetical presented here in the forums.

If there is a reason to wait on a drop log, shouldn't there be an indication to do such in the paper log at the cache? Based off of who dropped it and when, and the trackable page? Common sense can go a long way if people can acquire it and apply it.

The last two years I've probably found a dozen log books tops and they even had just sigs and the date, so I'd bet there isn't much indication of anything other than sig and date on a log strip (what we normally see in caches large enough for trackables).

- So how does common sense apply here again?

Well, for example cacher A puts a high value on logging the drop, (they have taken it to some interesting places, taken pictures ect..) they could take enough time and space in the log to write tb drop or gc drop. So finders can know who dropped it and when so it is easier to determine to wait for them to log it or not. It only takes up as much space as an additional date.

Cacher B, the finder, could compare the online logs to what they recall on the paper log. They can also check the trackable page to determine where it was last logged. For example in the hands of a recent finder that has not yet logged the find maybe wait, or in a cache with repeated logs of "no trackable" or missing don't wait.

That's the way I have it worked out in my feeble mind anyway.

Is there a way to delete this post I posted? Kind of depressing herring these rants back and forth haha

I'm sorry you think these are rants. I think it's one of the best discussions of this issue we've ever had.

Well, for example cacher A puts a high value on logging the drop, (they have taken it to some interesting places, taken pictures ect..) they could take enough time and space in the log to write tb drop or gc drop. So finders can know who dropped it and when so it is easier to determine to wait for them to log it or not. It only takes up as much space as an additional date.

Cacher B, the finder, could compare the online logs to what they recall on the paper log. They can also check the trackable page to determine where it was last logged. For example in the hands of a recent finder that has not yet logged the find maybe wait, or in a cache with repeated logs of "no trackable" or missing don't wait.

These are good ideas, although not quite as workable as you might think. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone (except me) mention a retrieve or drop in the paper log, so I doubt many people (except me) would look for something like that. I do advocate the idea of putting a note in the TB page if you're going to have a known drop issue, like knowing you're not going to be able to log the drop until you get home after vacation, but that requires advanced planning for the drop, and I've never seen anyone do that, either, and so while I do check for things like that, I don't really even expect to see it. So while these techniques might help if someone like the people on the "don't grab" side did them and then someone on the "grab now" side found them, but I doubt it would be useful in general because most people aren't as careful about TBs as those of us arguing about this detail here.

And I do look at the paper log for a recent visitor when I find a surprise TB, and I'd certainly go out of my way dragging my feet to let them log the drop if I can work out what's going on. I'd just like to be thanked for going to the special effort instead of being ordered to do all the time.

Is there a way to delete this post I posted? Kind of depressing herring these rants back and forth haha

That's the type of comment I'm talking about, kinda rude saying I live a sheltered life as u don't know my life.

This is a discussion. Sorry if you consider the airing of alternate points of view "rants." You must lead a very sheltered life.

That's the type of comment I'm talking about, kinda rude saying I live a sheltered life as u don't know my life.

Edited by Jeobrit
What I usually do is:

Wow, great. Now you've undone my work and put the TB in the wrong place. How is that better?
It lets me fix the trackable's history, so it reflects what I actually did with it. And if I have other logs to post for the trackable before the drop, then I can do that too.

FWIW, I didn't come up with this approach. I first read about it in a thread here. Years ago, someone asked how they could fix a trackable's history after someone else grabbed it from them before they could log dropping it into a cache. That was the technique recommended to them.

And if I don't notice what you did, the TB's no longer in my inventory, so I might forget I have it entirely.
Hence, the email I mentioned, to let the trackable grabber know that they need to log retrieving it from the cache.

Not to mention you've made it look like I stole it and didn't log taking it.
In what way? Your original grab log is still there. Once I post my logs, it will look like you grabbed it from me after I dropped it in the cache, or perhaps the same day I dropped it in the cache. Or if you've already dropped it in another cache, then it will look like you grabbed it from me and then dropped it in the cache. Or if you fix your logs, then it will look like you retrieved it from the cache.

I don't see a situation where it looks like you stole it from the cache.

By the way, you say this as if it happens all the time to you.
It's happened a few times. The first time it happened, I just followed the "fix the trackable's history" process that I had read about here. When it happened again, I repeated the process.

I've never had it go the other way, because I give other geocachers time to log their drop online, and then I log my retrieval. Then the logs are correct from the beginning.