I appreciate the challenge, but.....

Malemotives

Clearly, there are myriad places and ways to hide a Geocache. As a newbie, having uncovered my 12th in less than 2 weeks, only one particular disturbed me. I spent about 10 minutes searching, and only found it because, as I turned away to leave, it caught my eye. It's in a down-trodden area, frequented by homeless, "streetwalkers" (if you get my drift), and drugs. The cache is well hidden, and accessible, even among the hoards of ground trash regularly tossed in the area. The adjacent gas station, rather that all patrons the use of their restroom, installed a portable Honey Bucket at the edge of the property. Had I not accidentally glanced at the cache, I would have left a DNF and moved on. NO disrespect meant toward to CO, but it's not a cache I'd recommend youngsters go after. I'm just sayin'.

Also recommend wearing protective gloves.

10904534_10152757578838401_4898795042287927450_o.jpg

You don't like the location? Don't attempt the cache. It's that simple. It doesn't matter if it's in a rough part of town you don't feel safe, or on a mountain you don't know how to climb, or on a trail you just don't feel like taking an hour to walk- don't look for the cache. There's people who are fine with those locations, let them find it. There's also nothing saying you have to find every cache, so if you don't want to, don't look for it. See a theme here? It's up to you to make the decision to look for it, not up to us as other cachers, or up to the CO.

I wouldn't have attempted it either, urban micros aren't our thing.

As you get more experienced with the game, things will seem more obvious to you.

I'm not sure why folks hide caches in questionable areas, and some are unsure why we hide caches in swamps.

Don't be discouraged. Consider it a lesson learned and go enjoy the game. :lol:

This is going to sound snarky, but it's not meant to be. So please forgive me ahead of time. :)

Right below the Log your visit link are a few others:

View Gallery

Watch

Bookmark

Ignore

After you've read previous logs and seen that a cache is not one you ever want to find, use "Ignore" to zap that unfound cache off your map. That way you don't have to look at it and be tempted to find it. ;)

You don't like the location? Don't attempt the cache.

This is good advice, of course.

But when I discover GZ is some place I can't imagine anyone wanting to go, I think it's reasonable for me to complain about it. Even more if I had to walk a mile out of my way to discover the location sucks. The CO is free to put a cache somewhere unpleasant, but I'm also free to say what I think about it.

But when I discover GZ is some place I can't imagine anyone wanting to go, I think it's reasonable for me to complain about it. Even more if I had to walk a mile out of my way to discover the location sucks. The CO is free to put a cache somewhere unpleasant, but I'm also free to say what I think about it.

And others are free to complain about your complaining.

I agree. I would write something in my log about the condition of the area. Warn future finders. I know I appreciate it when finders provide warnings.

You don't like the location? Don't attempt the cache. It's that simple.

Unless I look at satellite maps, and possibly google street maps I can't tell if I'm going to like the cache until I get there, especially if it's in a city/town in which I'm not familiar. If CO's didn't place caches in areas strewn with garbage, populated by drug users or others that might make one feel unsafe, a lot of cache seekers wouldn't waste their time going to locations where they don't even attempt a find.

Ha! That's happened to me a couple of times. I left a complaining kind of log and the next finders complained about my complaint. I felt vindicated though when on one of those caches, where I got chastised, the cache owner took my advice to heart and changed the terrain rating and the cache size. smile.gif

Edited by L0ne.R

Not sure about the cache in question, but sometimes caches are put in what is a reasonable area, but over time it becomes a rubbish dump or the Druggies move in, sometimes it's not because the CO chose the environment, the environment followed the cache

This is an excellent point. A group of us recently found a puzzle cache that required us to walk past a makeshift tent set up by the gentleman who panhandled at the nearby highway ramp. I messaged the CO, who was appreciative of the information, because the area was not like that when he placed the cache. It has since been archived.

Unless I look at satellite maps, and possibly google street maps I can't tell if I'm going to like the cache until I get there, especially if it's in a city/town in which I'm not familiar. If CO's didn't place caches in areas strewn with garbage, populated by drug users or others that might make one feel unsafe, a lot of cache seekers wouldn't waste their time going to locations where they don't even attempt a find.

+1

Experienced this while caching on vacation.

Walked into what turned out to be a homeless camp with my then five-year olds.

Not cool.

Just another comment, we don't normally check the previous logs or hint before we go and tackle a cache, so not everyone would get the warnings from previous cachers,

But those who do check because they don't want to have an unpleasant experience (junky location, junky cache, etc.) will appreciate it.

Not sure about the cache in question, but sometimes caches are put in what is a reasonable area, but over time it becomes a rubbish dump or the Druggies move in, sometimes it's not because the CO chose the environment, the environment followed the cache

This is an excellent point. A group of us recently found a puzzle cache that required us to walk past a makeshift tent set up by the gentleman who panhandled at the nearby highway ramp. I messaged the CO, who was appreciative of the information, because the area was not like that when he placed the cache. It has since been archived.

I have a cache that occasionally gets reports of people "living" near it. When I go to check, there's like an old sock and a beer can on the ground next to it. So I CITO, and wait for the next whiner.

I have done a few near homeless camps. I do kinda feel weird being near those places, but I do feel a lot safer doing those than the ones in the middle of the woods during hunting season.

I have yet to explain geocaching to a homeless person or streetwalker, but I imagine they would probably think geocaching was less crazy than the police officer I had to explain it to a few weeks ago.

Edited by Zepp914

Just another comment, we don't normally check the previous logs or hint before we go and tackle a cache, so not everyone would get the warnings from previous cachers,

So really, your disappointment is due to your failure to prepare in advance.

I never said there was any disappointment, not sure where you picked that up from. Mine was just a comment. If we get to somewhere we dont feel comfortable we just leave. I dont believe that you have to read 20 pages of logs to have enjoyment from the game.

I'll admit to having at times been disappointed by something that resulted from not preparing in advance, but I never read logs in advance unless I have a good reason to. I never check hints in advance either. I'm in it for the fun and the challenge, and I find that reading logs in advance gives too much away and lessens the fun for me.

In a situation like this one, I would likely arrive, see the location and situation, and leave. No disappointment, just a shake of the head and thoughts about why someone would even think that was a good place for a cache.

My preferred style of caching is to have a cache or group of caches that is my main goal of the day, these usually don't disappoint. And when I'm done, I'll pick off anything else nearby as time permits. This cache in the original post would likely have fallen into the 'target of opportunity' group and I honestly wouldn't feel bad about passing it up. And if I did pass it up, I would likely post a note on the cache page saying so and why.

Actually, I disagree. They're free to disagree with me, of course, but it doesn't strike me as reasonable for them to complain about me expressing an opinion.

Hmmm. On further reflection, I think there might be confusion over the term "complaining". I was using the term casually as a synonym for "report the problem". I agree that one might object if the complaint involves whining or accusing.

The fact that the CO might not know about the situation is one of the key reasons I think it's important to express such concerns about GZ.

No. I'm not going to be disappointed if not looking at a cache from all angles in advance causes me to miss a find when the problem I encounter is reasonable. (Besides, in the case Pinkpiggy7 just raised where GZ has changed recently, I can prepare all day long and still be surprised when I get there.)

I went looking for a cache once, along the dilapidated piers on the Hudson River in New York City. The piers had subsided more since the hide. It was just north of the New York Sanitation Pier, and there were several large rats roaming about. And the remnants of a homeless person's camp.

I logged my DNF mentioning the conditions. The CO archived the cache. The area has since been considerably, and is not part of the Hudson River Hiking Trail.

Some CO's care about their caches.

We placed a cache in a very shady area of S.F. It is actually a very nice park we placed it at. It has a huge sun dial, Cool concrete slides. However it is in the middle of a very sketchy neighborhood.

We named it "Cache at your own risk" We listed that it is in a bad area and added all the attributes about it. It is a very cool park and has great views so we thought it should have a cache and no one else would probably put one there. It is up to the cacher to decide if they want to look for it.

In a situation like this one, I would likely arrive, see the location and situation, and leave. No disappointment, just a shake of the head and thoughts about why someone would even think that was a good place for a cache.

As would most cachers, I think. If I wrote a forum post every time I decided to pass over a sketchy cache, well, you'd all be even more fed up with me! :rolleyes:

Reading logs is NOT a requirement before seeking a cache and there are lots of reasons why someone might search without first seeing past logs, not to mention those who go first before any find logs have been posted.

The OP expressed reasonable concern about caches placed in crappy areas, something that should be a concern of all who care about the quality of the game. Rather than address the legitimate problem you have decided to insult the poster and others who agree. Why the lack of courtesy?

You have one person who placed a crappy cache and a newbie who had a higher opinion of the hobby and was surprised to see a cache in a rotten spot. You got to choose and you chose to support the crappy cache owner. ???

I had see this happen far too often. I had see nice place in the woods become a dumping ground for people trash.

I had see this happen far too often. I had see nice place in the woods become a dumping ground for people trash.

Yeah, that can happen. Shame when you find a pretty, serene spot in the forest to hide a cache and bring people to, only to have the area discovered and trashed a few months later. I've seen what gets left behind after clandestine forest camping and parties - food containers, intact and smashed alcohol bottles, beer cans, clothes. When that happens it's a good idea to inform the cache owner via the online log. I know I'd want to know. I'd archive our cache if it looked like a permanent problem. I'd CITO if it was a minor trash problem that looked temporary.

In the OP's example the location sounds like it was a nasty location from the get-go. The cache owner chose to put a cache in a druggie/streetwalker hangout. Bad form in my book, but not everyone is into the quality of the game.

You don't like the location? Don't attempt the cache. It's that simple.

This is going to sound snarky, but it's not meant to be. So please forgive me ahead of time. :)

Right below the Log your visit link are a few others:

View Gallery

Watch

Bookmark

Ignore

After you've read previous logs and seen that a cache is not one you ever want to find, use "Ignore" to zap that unfound cache off your map. That way you don't have to look at it and be tempted to find it. ;)

You know, the beauty of this game is that it's something you can entirely customize to suit your own tastes. If you don't like the look of a place, move on.

Sorry, but that "advice" is really offensive to some of us! What is wrong with the OP posting his opinion here? Doesn't posting an opinion like that here in the forums serve to educate other cachers about where they should hide their geocachers? I applaud the OP for bringing that cache to our attention.

BTW, didn't take much to find the cache in question: http://coord.info/GC5C7FM

The cache was hidden about four months ago. Doubtful the condition of the place has deteriorated all THAT much in four months! Cache owner has 14 finds.

I thought this would be a geat place for a geocache. I have seen this spot many times and parked in front of it often.
Another parking lot. Sigh...
Sorry, but that "advice" is really offensive to some of us! What is wrong with the OP posting his opinion here? Doesn't posting an opinion like that here in the forums serve to educate other cachers about where they should hide their geocachers? I applaud the OP for bringing that cache to our attention.

And I'm offended that you took my post to be offensive. :blink:

I did not mean for my post to be offensive. I have NO PROBLEM with the OP posting his opinion. I was providing a practical solution to the problem: read the logs, then ignore them so they don't show up on your map.

Aside from moaning and groaning and saying that such caches shouldn't be, how else can we advise the OP?

Edited by TriciaG

And I'm offended that you took my post to be offensive. :blink:

I did not mean for my post to be offensive. I have NO PROBLEM with the OP posting his opinion. I was providing a practical solution to the problem: read the logs, then ignore them so they don't show up on your map.

Aside from moaning and groaning and saying that such caches shouldn't be, how else can we advise the OP?

Ignoring bad caches does not really help the bigger situation. It only masks it. By posting his objections to the cache here (which I would not call "moaning and groaning") he is making a public statement that such caches are not appreciated, at least not by him. By ignoring it, he does nothing aside from not going back to that spot, which he probably won't do anyway.

Sorry you feel offended. I hope that doesn't turn you off to what I'm trying to say.

I agree. I would write something in my log about the condition of the area. Warn future finders. I know I appreciate it when finders provide warnings.

When I approach a trash site, I'm usually disappointed in myself for not detecting the warnings. And so many caches are placed in these spots already trashed.

But there is another option. Clean it up. I don't even know if it helps in the long run, since the trash is placed by very determined locals. It was a carpet of trash (and an entire house's old carpeting, as well :anicute:). But we collected it all, along trails in that area, even trash embedded in the ground. Plenty of tires, too. For the time being, caches in one place aren't among garbage.

594e55e2-a391-4959-80e1-9779faf240f0.jpg

16f7ba1b-bb7d-4fef-8400-10b9838a2fa3.jpg

Edited by kunarion

And there's absolutely nothing in the logs that indicate a nasty area, or would prepare anyone for it. Quite often you can't always avoid or ignore until you are a few hundred feet away. But then it doesn't look too bad until you reach ground zero and find broken glass, needles, and condoms. Sadly the truth is that some people like those types of places. I've found a baggie of pot in a cache, and know of another cache where the FTFer disposed of a small baggie of white powder. I don't have any idea why even a drug user would think that it would be a good idea to use either, especially if it was from an unknown source, but those types of nut jobs are out there, and they'll likely defend the location by telling you to ignore it. This one appears to be behind a bar which might actually be nice on the inside, which is why the hider put it there. Skulking and lurking behind the building, while acting suspicious is quite a different story, especially because it likely doesn't have permission. Unfortunately these types of hides are getting common, and you should just seek out hides in green areas or parks. Wait until you find one between two abandoned buildings, and then hear about both having the wiring and piping stripped out a month later. <_<

But there is another option. Clean it up. I don't even know if it helps in the long run, since the trash is placed by very determined locals. It was a carpet of trash (and an entire house's old carpeting, as well :anicute:). But we collected it all, along trails in that area, even trash embedded in the ground. Plenty of tires, too. For the time being, caches in one place aren't among garbage.

Good for you.

I take kitchen sized trashbags with me whenever I go caching. I fill up 1 bag and take it out as I go. You don't have to clean it all up, just make a dent. If every cacher did that, a lot of these dumps would be gone. That being said, there are just some things you can't clean up. It amazes me how something like an old washing machine made it out into the woods. The effort getting it that deep in the woods had to be a lot more work than properly disposing of it. :blink:

It amazes me how something like an old washing machine made it out into the woods. The effort getting it that deep in the woods had to be a lot more work than properly disposing of it. :blink:

If I spied a washing machine in the woods, I might clean up around it. But I'd likely try to make it into a Geocache. :ph34r:

Good for you.

I take kitchen sized trashbags with me whenever I go caching. I fill up 1 bag and take it out as I go. You don't have to clean it all up, just make a dent. If every cacher did that, a lot of these dumps would be gone. That being said, there are just some things you can't clean up. It amazes me how something like an old washing machine made it out into the woods. The effort getting it that deep in the woods had to be a lot more work than properly disposing of it. :blink:

Nice practice by you. I can't understand what goes through the mind of someone who dumps trash in the woods. But, hey, I live in New England (Patriots country) where I have heard often this week, "If you're not cheating, you're not trying." Do you suppose my fellow New Englanders would be saying that if the other team was caught cheating?

Speaking of my fellow New Englanders (and getting back on topic) there are trails along a local reservoir here that are nice to hike. Some people take trash bags out there (I'm guessing for their own trash), then tie them to a tree and leave them there when done! I am not kidding.

You know, the beauty of this game is that it's something you can entirely customize to suit your own tastes. If you don't like the look of a place, move on.

Sorry, but that "advice" is really offensive to some of us! What is wrong with the OP posting his opinion here? Doesn't posting an opinion like that here in the forums serve to educate other cachers about where they should hide their geocachers?

I didn't say anything was wrong with the OP posting his opinion. I was merely responding to his opinion. What's wrong with me having an opinion? Why do some people get to have opinions, and not others?

In the OP's example the location sounds like it was a nasty location from the get-go. The cache owner chose to put a cache in a druggie/streetwalker hangout. Bad form in my book, but not everyone is into the quality of the game.

While it might be true that area was nasty when the cache was placed -- perhaps one that knows the area would know that for sure -- there's no reason to assume it's the case no matter how sure you are. That's exactly why it makes perfect sense to file the appropriate logs with an "I'm sure you don't know this" attitude, and then ignore any "I did too know!" responses because they're unimportant. You tried to help, no sense worrying about the fact that the CO isn't interested in being helped.

You have one person who placed a crappy cache and a newbie who had a higher opinion of the hobby and was surprised to see a cache in a rotten spot. You got to choose and you chose to support the crappy cache owner. ???

We have one person who placed a cache that some might think is crappy.

We have one person who thought the cache was crappy.

I choose to support cachers using the built-in features of the website and in-the-field observation to decide which caches to go after, and which to ignore.

We have one person who placed a cache that some might think is crappy.

We have one person who thought the cache was crappy.

I choose to support cachers using the built-in features of the website and in-the-field observation to decide which caches to go after, and which to ignore.

I choose to support Narcissa on this one. :) I ignore crappy caches. They happen, and I ignore them. In the rare cases where I wasn't expecting them to be crappy from my research, I leave after I get there and decide they're crappy.

Edited by Mr.Yuck
It amazes me how something like an old washing machine made it out into the woods. The effort getting it that deep in the woods had to be a lot more work than properly disposing of it. :blink:

If I spied a washing machine in the woods, I might clean up around it. But I'd likely try to make it into a Geocache. :ph34r:

There's this one. Our first find - as muggles.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2FF6K_laundromat-on-skelly

The way I see it...

The OP was disappointed to find a cache he (I assume he based on the name) thought was in a bad location.

That happens. The advice I would give is

- Note it clearly but politely in your log, so others are warned.

- Walk away if you find yourself in an area which you are uncomfortable.

- Where possible look at the logs and location in advance to avoid the bad area.

- Put the cache on your ignore list once you have walked away.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, the responses which tell the OP that it is their own fault as they didn't prepare enough don't seem helpful to me. Or at least they seem a bit harsh.

If I am planning a day's caching I will use the map and logs and choose caches I think I'll like. I might still come across something I don't like; even in the woods. But there is less chance of a nasty surprise.

But sometimes I might just be somewhere, unfamiliar to me, and notice there is a cache nearby. And I might find myself in a place I don't want to be, and leave.

The way I see it...

The OP was disappointed to find a cache he (I assume he based on the name) thought was in a bad location.

That happens. The advice I would give is

- Note it clearly but politely in your log, so others are warned.

- Walk away if you find yourself in an area which you are uncomfortable.

- Where possible look at the logs and location in advance to avoid the bad area.

- Put the cache on your ignore list once you have walked away.

Whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, the responses which tell the OP that it is their own fault as they didn't prepare enough don't seem helpful to me. Or at least they seem a bit harsh.

Did I do that, and did it seem harsh? Not my intention. I was just saying how, as a 12 year cacher, I would have never ended up in that location. I realize that newbies, especially in the smartphone era (i.e. turn on your phone anywhere, and look up and go to the nearest cache) are not going to sit at home and Google Sat view a cache location, or, if it's an older established cache, read all the logs as well.

This cache was very easy to look up by the way, and several others have before me. It's out back of Rollie's tavern's broken glass and trash filled parking lot. And there's a 99.9999999999999999% chance ol' Rollie himself hasn't given permission for it to be there. I would have never ended up there. If I was local, it would have been ignored when the publication notice was received. If I wasn't local, well, you can see what I just figured out a few sentences prior. :P