FTF Geocoins

CGWYB

Green newbie here - I am going to set a few caches so I ordered some FTF coins. They say they can be activated. As a new cache creator am I supposed to activate them before I put them in a new cache, or does the FTFer do that?

Dumb question to you oldies, but I need to know! Help!

I don't know of any cachers that track 'first to find' for coins or other trackables.

"Collectible" geocoins are ones that will not be in circulation in the field and will not be moved from cache to cache, though it may be 'discovered' in another cacher's collection.

If a user wishes to designate a coin that he activates as 'collectible', allowing them to activate the coin allows them to determine whether they wish to release it into the wild and be tracked, or remain in their own coin collection.

If I activate them then mark them as collectible then the person logs them then keeps it? So if I do not activate then they can't log it as a first to find? Is that the downside?

I think the answers you are getting are more complicated that the question.

If you are leaving these FTF coins in a new cache as a GIFT to the first finder, then you do NOT want to activate it. Otherwise, it belongs to you and they just get to move the coin (and still get to claim FTF on the cache). We always put out an unactivated coin for FTFers on our new caches, but it's not a requirement. Just seems like a nice thing to do.

If you are wanting to keep the coins with you as the owner and put them out for others to find and move, then you DO want to activate them before you put them in a cache.

Hope that helps.

I recommend not putting the activation code in with the coin, for a couple of reasons.

1) The finder can easily retrieve the code themselves.

2) If the code is lost before they decide to activate it (or if they sell it to someone else and don't include the code), it can be a hassle to get the code again.

Minor issue, but that's my preference. I'd rather retrieve the code when I'm ready to activate it.