Can I look up archived caches?

Blue_Ranger

A cache very near my house has a hint, referring to the name of a cache that used to be nearby. (Yavin a Bad Day? is the name of this one, GC4APQT). Problem is, I'm new, and have no idea what the names of caches might have been! No particular hurry here, no way am I climbing down into the GZ this time of year-- several inches of snow, and the creek is high.

to the best of my knowledge, there are only three ways to see an archived geocache -

search by hider name

search by finder name

search by GC code

if none of these work in the situation under discussion, I would advise that you contact the owner of the non-archived geocache that mentions the archived geocache, and ask for guidance

Or you could go to project-gc.Com and see all of them returned in a search.

Project-gc.com showed me the same caches as the app and the maps here. I guess it's possible the reference is to "Babbling Brook," which is listed as active but reported missing by the last several geocachers who looked for it. I can hardly miss Murder Creek though, GZ is right at a bridge over it. I hope the CO is aware of how badly Murder Creek floods, on a routine basis-- likely the fate of both "Babbling Brook" and "The Old Skating Rink," also reported missing.

This one's size isn't chosen, and the difficulty is 4.5 stars out of 5. It's probably not your best cache to start searching as a newbie, even if it is close to home. It's probably teeny tiny, like the size of the tip of your little finger, and it's probably highly camouflaged such that you won't see it just by looking in the usual manner. These look like good starter caches: GC1EDXN, GC41RGW

Hehe yeah... and I've also chosen the middle of January's deep freeze to get started. I've identified several in my home town to get started on when the temperatures at least rise to the point where it won't be miserable. And GC1EDXN is one of them, actually!

Edited by Brian Z