A funny thing happened on the way to the cache

Wile E

I'm doing some research, I'm looking for funny or unusual things that have happened while in search of a Geocache.

For example, A friend of mine stopped at an off ramp for a quick park and grab, his foot slipped down between to rails of the cattle guard. a road worker had to cut a chunk of the cattle guard to get him loose.

I'm doing some research, I'm looking for funny or unusual things that have happened while in search of a Geocache.

For example, A friend of mine stopped at an off ramp for a quick park and grab, his foot slipped down between to rails of the cattle guard. a road worker had to cut a chunk of the cattle guard to get him loose.

I'd love to see the log for that! I hope it was more than "TFTC"! :laughing:

Not really a park and grab, was it?! It needs a 4.0 terrain rating for sure. ;)

Probably the most unusual thing that happened to us was stopping at a park and ride at night to look for a cache. It was up a small hill in the corner of a fence. We found it and took it back to the car to sign. Then I went alone to go replace by flashlight. I was just up the hill right there replacing it when a cop pulled in. I guess he thought I was drunk driving and went up there to go pee. He lit me up with his car and was about to pull his gun out. Ordered me to put my hands on my head and slowly walk over to his cop car. Then he had me put my hands on the hood of his car while he searched me and asked me questions. It was kind of crazy as I could feel he was ready to pull out his gun. He had no idea what geocaching was and my daughter during this had tried to get out of the car and he told her to stay inside. After he came by to talk to my daughter to find out if it was a real thing.

Then he was interested and asked if it was something he could do with his kids.

I saw it. I commented on it. I photographed it. But I failed to find it. Go figure.

I was driving from California to Florida with my kid. I wanted to get a cache or two in every state we visited. I made up a list of caches that were easily accessible from the highway. I specifically sought caches that had lots of favorite points.

We pulled off the highway in Texas in search of a cache marking the halfway point on Route 66. It was at a rest stop with what had once been a diner. I photographed the diner and nearby signage as well as a decrepit old truck. My kid commented about the graffiti on the truck. I searched for a cache, but came up empty.

Some time later, I realized that the truck was the cache and the graffiti was just the logs.

Since I did not sign the log, it was a DNF.

J got his leg humped by a border terrier while opening a cache box. Owner nowhere to be seen, so not really a muggling as it were...

That's a new one. Here in Montana we frequently see wildlife while caching, just not that wild I guess

Edited by Wile E

Sometimes when you cache you do stuff that makes no sense and when you look back on it, you wonder what the heck you were thinking.

For many years our daughter and hubby would send our grandsons to spend the summer with us here in New Brunswick. We would often take them caching with us and they loved the adventure till this occurred.

It was 2008 and we went over to Prince Edward Island for a few days. We went to get a cache at a buggy corral at a supermarket. The cache was a magnetic key holder but the magnet had come off. 8 year old Jake wondered what we could do. I said maybe we could re-attach the magnet. So I took him into the grocery store with the cache and walked the aisles looking for a solution. I came upon some Elmer glue on a shelf. I said we only need a drop so we don't need to buy any (duh). So I poured a drop on the key holder and put the magnet in place. However, it must have been a big drop because as I pushed the magnet into the glue, the glue came out and surrounded the magnet and covered the container and got all over my hands. So there I was in the aisle with my grandson and this glue covered container. I said no problem, as I walked to the deli section with Jake far behind me. I grabbed napkins and wiped everything best I could and got some wet-ones to clean my hands. We then headed back to the car where Jake told MA that he did not want to cache with me anymore. Of course he came caching often after that but not at buggy corrals. He is now 16 and he still tells the story to everyone

There is a well known cacher in our area that is known for posting DNFs on caches. One day I got a DNF notification on a cache outside the place I was staying that was placed by famous cacher (never tell this cacher where you live). After I saw the DNF I ran outside, down the stairs, open the gate, grabbed the cache, handed it to the well known cacher and said to him "now you can change the log to a found".

Added that the cache was hard to find because it was being eaten up by tree fungus.

Edited by jellis

There is a well known cacher in our area that is known for posting DNFs on caches. One day I got a DNF notification on a cache outside the place I was staying that was placed by famous cacher (never tell this cacher where you live). After I saw the DNF I ran outside, down the stairs, open the gate, grabbed the cache, handed it to the well known cacher and said to him "now you can change the log to a found".

Added that the cache was hard to find because it was being eaten up by tree fungus.

Nice. I personally never log a DNF, if I can't hind it, I ask the hider for a hint.

I once came across a rather unexpected find - a marajuana plant. Didn't find the cache itself - nor did I log it as a DNF, decided to act as though I hadn't been in the vicinity at all, but did report it to the cops. Slightly unexpected find. A pot of pot, behind a tree.

That is different kind of Cache, with a different kind of Swag......

I once came across a rather unexpected find - a marajuana plant. Didn't find the cache itself - nor did I log it as a DNF, decided to act as though I hadn't been in the vicinity at all, but did report it to the cops. Slightly unexpected find. A pot of pot, behind a tree.

That is different kind of Cache, with a different kind of Swag......

While doing our local geocoin challenge (Mega this year) last year I found a well used "pipe" in the cache. In the decription it said this park was a great place to relax. I guess somebody wanted to provide a means to relax. Of course the "pipe" was properly tossed way.