Not getting emails from geocaching

2lablovers

I am not getting email notifications of cachers finding my caches. Also just submitted a cache for publication and did not get the normal email - cache submitted. Anyone else having this problem? If not, any suggestions on how to fix? Thanks

I have not received any notifications or other mails from geocaching.com the last days. There have been new caches published within my notification radius and I have also published one myself, no emails what so ever. The email address i use is a Apple iCloud address ending with @me.com

And no... the spam folder is empty.

I use iCloud for my cache notifications and they haven't worked since Thursday/Friday-ish. I've done some research and it is definitely a Geocaching.com/iCloud issue. iCloud works for other emails and other email providers work for Geocaching emails. I have found 4 other people affected, all with icloud.com email addresses. The question is, how do we bring this to Groundspeak's attention and should we wait it out or switch email provider? :)

I use iCloud for my cache notifications and they haven't worked since Thursday/Friday-ish. I've done some research and it is definitely a Geocaching.com/iCloud issue. iCloud works for other emails and other email providers work for Geocaching emails. I have found 4 other people affected, all with icloud.com email addresses. The question is, how do we bring this to Groundspeak's attention and should we wait it out or switch email provider? :)

I have switched to my backup gmail address for geocaching emails.

In my own Comcast experience, I had to chase this down on behalf of Groundspeak, though I thought at the time that they should have been pro-active and dealt with it on their end. We were indeed able to determine that gc.com's mail server was sending enough traffic to Comcast with bad email addresses (bogus, retired, whatever) that Comcast refused to carry their traffic. In fact, Groundspeak was getting returned messages from Comcast that flagged the problem, but evidently no one was checking these 'bounce' messages.

To see if it is an issue of the sort mentioned above, one of you with an iCloud account should contact them, try to work your way through to someone who can actually help, and find out if they have a 'server reputation' issue with the geocaching.com mail server. You can help them by picking the gc.com's server IP address off of one of your previously successful email messages and providing that to them. At this time, I believe it should be 66.150.167.157, but check your own email to be sure.

Domo!!!

I have been experiencing the same problem with my primary Geocaching email account that ends with "@me.com".

Checking what I have received the last was on 2015/01/09 22:48 EST, from Geocaching <noreply@geocaching.com>, and nothing after this until now & continuing, including a few Found Logs for caches I am 'Watching'.

I will post in the Apple Support forum, and see if any reaction from Apple.

(Edit: Time zone...)

Edited by Dr.MORO

As noted above, it may be important that you supply them with the specific IP address of the geocaching.com server in order for them to track this down. I note that you did not supply them with that in your post over at discussions.apple.com

Thanks ecanderson.

Your information has been posted to the Apple forum as well.

Also, I think in addition to the @me.com messages, @mac.com and @icloud.com addresses might also be affected as well.

But, cannot confirm this. Anyone?

I also have changed to my backup gmail address, and now getting messages from geocaching.com.

Edited by Dr.MORO

Same here. And yeah, I'm on the me.com server(s). I should note, though, that another area cacher had been experiencing the same. However, she's NOT on any of the Apple servers but instead uses gmail as her primary. That said, in her case it involved all of her notifications having somehow been toggled OFF. I've just checked my own and they're all intact. So hopefully that was either a one-off, or an entirely different issue. Here's hoping the Lilypad can get this resolved in a timely manner.

I have been using an @icloud.com e-mail address for new cache publication notifications successfully for two years - these stopped coming through a couple days ago and I missed all the local new caches over the weekend (grrrr!!). Have now set-up an alternative e-mail address @btinternet.com (UK provider) and these are coming through ok BUT as FETCH not PUSH, which I enjoyed with iCloud. I spoke to another cacher on Sunday who has exactly the same issue with her icloud e-mail notifications, so this is not my particular address or equipment.

I have contacted Groundspeak direct with details and hopefully they will take notice.

Unfortunately I haven't kept any of the older icloud e-mails so not sure how to determine the Groundspeak server IP address, unless it's the same for all e-mail notifications. Can anyone confirm?

EDIT: Found notifications to two different e-mail addresses I use and confirm both have same IP Address = "Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.157])"

Edited by PlasmaWave

I've added to the thread over on the Apple forums, but I think we need to try to get in touch with Apple directly (in my experience the forums are mainly user contributed and rarely dealt with by actual Apple people!) I'm doing a bit of research now to see whther I can find someone to contact!

Edited by KaosCL

I've added to the thread over on the Apple forums, but I think we need to try to get in touch with Apple directly (in my experience the forums are mainly user contributed and rarely dealt with by actual Apple people!) I'm doing a bit of research now to see whether I can find someone to contact!

This is almost certainly an issue between Groundspeak and Apple icloud e-mail addresses - best to report individually via geocaching.com "Contact Us" as I recon they need to investigate why their e-mail server is not successfully sending out the icloud e-mails

Edited by PlasmaWave

In my own Comcast experience, I had to chase this down on behalf of Groundspeak, though I thought at the time that they should have been pro-active and dealt with it on their end. We were indeed able to determine that gc.com's mail server was sending enough traffic to Comcast with bad email addresses (bogus, retired, whatever) that Comcast refused to carry their traffic. In fact, Groundspeak was getting returned messages from Comcast that flagged the problem, but evidently no one was checking these 'bounce' messages.

To see if it is an issue of the sort mentioned above, one of you with an iCloud account should contact them, try to work your way through to someone who can actually help, and find out if they have a 'server reputation' issue with the geocaching.com mail server. You can help them by picking the gc.com's server IP address off of one of your previously successful email messages and providing that to them. At this time, I believe it should be 66.150.167.157, but check your own email to be sure.

I have now found previous "new cache" notifications sent by Groundspeak to two different e-mail addresses (i.e. "@icloud.com" & "@btinternet.com" and can confirm both have same IP Address = "Received: from signal.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.157])"

I have also contacted Groundspeak via the contact link at the bottom of their webpage. It would be good if others could too so that they realise this is a widespread problem. In addition I have been in contact with a senior tech lady at Apple and am awaiting a call back. They agree that it is likely that noreply@geocaching.com has been added to a blocklist and are looking into it.

***************** icloud Email problem ********************

Same problem all of a sudden starting Friday/Saturday no emails from noreply@geocaching.com getting through to my icloud email account. All the notifications arrived to my other (Hotmail) email but none to my icloud email. Checked by sending myself mails and it works. even spoke to a young lady at Apple support, who obviously couldn't fix my problem by going through the settings as it is a widespread problem.

"a young lady at Apple support" isn't going to be in a position to help you. At best, she'll manage to pass your issue along in a way that might get it to the right people there.

The folks who need to check into this at Apple are those that manage their mail servers with the domains those of you with issues are mentioning. It may be difficult or even impossible to talk to the right people. You literally need to talk to one of the administrators of their mail servers who set up the reputation rules for the server, or who obtain that information from a 3rd party to determine how to manage mail from other servers based upon their 'reputation'.

Alternately -- Groundspeak, it's your ball again! You may well be getting bounce messages from these Apple email servers that are providing an indication of why your mail is being rejected. Could you have a look? The bounces you were getting from Comcast were trying to tell you what the problem was. A peek at your server logs might turn up something similar for the Apple servers.

Right! I've spent some time on the phone to Apple today over this issue and have been dealing with a lovely Senior Tech lady. It does seem that noreply@geocaching.com (or the associated IP address(es)) has almost certainly been added to an Apple blocklist, therefore emails from that address to any Apple email accounts (@icloud.com, @me.com etc) will bounce back.

There is nothing we can do on our own accounts or devices to fix this, Apple need to lift the block.

This has been elevated for the techy people at Apple to look at although they're dealing with a backlog from Christmas so it may take a couple of days. The lady that I've been dealing with has promised to ring me back with an update when she has one.

In the meantime she suggests that people should contact Apple if they are affected... the more people report it, the better, basically. The thread over on the Apple forums which has been linked to here has been helpful in flagging up the issue as the Apple people can read it (although they can't reply).

So, if you are affected, please post that both here and on the thread in the Apple Forums. In addition, please go ahead and contact Groundspeak directly via the contact link on the bottom of the homepage so that they realise how widespread the issue is. Although it's not Groundspeak's "fault", it would be nice if they tried to fix it!

Most importantly, please contact Apple. It's free from landlines in the UK... 0800 1076285

You'll need to explain that you are having this known issue, they have an internal thread about it on their forums, or you could point them at the apple forum thread HERE. It will obviously take time for all the staff on the phones to become aware of the problem, so please be patient but insistent

I must say thanks to the contributors to this thread and over on the Apple forum, it's helped to tie everything together to figure out what's going on, lets hope we can sort it!

Right! I've spent some time on the phone to Apple today over this issue and have been dealing with a lovely Senior Tech lady. It does seem that noreply@geocaching.com (or the associated IP address(es)) has almost certainly been added to an Apple blocklist, therefore emails from that address to any Apple email accounts (@icloud.com, @me.com etc) will bounce back.

There is nothing we can do on our own accounts or devices to fix this, Apple need to lift the block.

This has been elevated for the techy people at Apple to look at although they're dealing with a backlog from Christmas so it may take a couple of days. The lady that I've been dealing with has promised to ring me back with an update when she has one.

In the meantime she suggests that people should contact Apple if they are affected... the more people report it, the better, basically. The thread over on the Apple forums which has been linked to here has been helpful in flagging up the issue as the Apple people can read it (although they can't reply).

So, if you are affected, please post that both here and on the thread in the Apple Forums. In addition, please go ahead and contact Groundspeak directly via the contact link on the bottom of the homepage so that they realise how widespread the issue is. Although it's not Groundspeak's "fault", it would be nice if they tried to fix it!

Most importantly, please contact Apple. It's free from landlines in the UK... 0800 1076285

You'll need to explain that you are having this known issue, they have an internal thread about it on their forums, or you could point them at the apple forum thread HERE. It will obviously take time for all the staff on the phones to become aware of the problem, so please be patient but insistent

I must say thanks to the contributors to this thread and over on the Apple forum, it's helped to tie everything together to figure out what's going on, lets hope we can sort it!

Thanks KaosCL for the somewhat encouraging update. (I am also following my post at Apple forum)

And also thanks to those who have contributed information about this problem.

If you know anyone else with the same problem, please lead them to this forum and the Apple forum, and have them post as well.

Also, clicking the "I have this question too" link right below my original post at Apple forum, should increase the level of severity, hence letting Apple know there is a major problem here to fix ASAP.

I will also try contacting Groundspeak AND Apple more directly, and at least raise the awareness of this issue.

Yet, I really wish Groundspeak contacts Apple directly to resolve this.

Fix please!

We have confirmed that Apple has been blocking email delivery from signal.Groundspeak.com because it has triggered their spam monitors. For now we have started routing emails for the affected domains (mac.com, icloud.com, me.com) to signal2.Groundspeak.com and those emails are currently being delivered.

Our IT team is following up with Apple.

We have confirmed that Apple has been blocking email delivery from signal.Groundspeak.com because it has triggered their spam monitors. For now we have started routing emails for the affected domains (mac.com, icloud.com, me.com) to signal2.Groundspeak.com and those emails are currently being delivered.

Awesome!

Thanks Moun10Bike!

Look forward to hearing of the final confirmation of the blockage being fixed.

We have confirmed that Apple has been blocking email delivery from signal.Groundspeak.com because it has triggered their spam monitors.

Appreciate that you are following up directly with Apple, but there seems to be no reason that this won't happen again with another provider. Perhaps it would be a good idea for someone to throw together a simple program that parses your mail server logs daily looking for unusual levels of refused mail from other mail servers? That would be a lot less tedious than looking at them manually, and could be used to throw immediate red flags for a live body who could follow up on such incidents?

That's fantastic news, thanks :D

There are happy cachers on the Facebook group that I admin as they are getting their mails again!

Unfortunately I'm not... so I've got to figure out what setting I've messed with :unsure:

However, it's late in the UK so I'm off to bed, that can wait until tomorrow!

Thanks again, relieved it's being sorted

There are happy cachers on the Facebook group that I admin as they are getting their mails again!

Unfortunately I'm not... so I've got to figure out what setting I've messed with :unsure:

Quick update... I had a lightbulb moment, suddenly remembered that Apple had had me change a setting within my email, found it, changed it back, bingo, caching emails are back *phew*

To confirm, does this mean that if I switch back to my @me.com address as 'default' in my geocaching account settings now, I will immediately start receiving geocaching.com messages like before again?

So, domain signal.Groundspeak.com (mainly IP address 66.150.167.157) is blocked by Apple, but signal2.Groundspeak.com (different IP address, I presume) is NOT blocked?

How about the other IP addresses Geocaching.com uses? Are these blocked as well, or not?

OR, should I just keep using my backup gmail account until we get the notice that the blockage all gone...

This morning's update from here is that although cache logs and the weekly email are getting through, notifications of new releases are not. As someone mentioned in a previous comment... could this be that there are several IP addresses blocked but only one is being worked around?

This is a service we pay for!

Any update/confirmation from Groundspeak please?

Tuesday 13th - Saw couple of new caches in my area on geocaching website around 10:45, but no e-mail notification e-mails received via icloud or BT e-mail accounts. Sometime later a couple came through on the BT account followed soon afterwards at around 12:00 by ten or eleven newbies - both icloud & BT e-mails received. The icloud & BT e-mails came from two different IP addresses:

icloud.com e-mail sent from: signal2.Groundspeak.com ([66.150.167.158])

btinternet.com e-mail sent from: signal.Groundspeak.com (66.150.167.157)

Let's hope Groundspeak sort the spam blocking issue out with Apple properly, and permanently.

Domo again!!!

AND, has anything changed since then?

Can we return back to using our Apple-related mail addresses again?

Has anyone tried going back to the Apple-related mail address? How did id go?

Any update, even if no update, would be welcome.

Thanks!

Notifications via iCloud for me in UK, untill tonight, have be fine but three new caches came through g-mail at 21:40 local time but same caches via iCloud e-mails arrived between 22:40 and 23:00. Normally iCloud are quick as they are "push" and g-mail only "fetch".

Definitely seems there are problems yet again between Apple and Groundspeak !!!!! Delays today but stopped again by tomorrow?

@Nicky BJ

I'm sure it would help if you would identify your mail provider!

Thank you very much.

My mail provider is Arcor. I never had any problems with them before concerning emails from geocaching.com .

I have also contacted Groundspeak and got a quick answer on this.

It seems the messages are coming through again though - without me having done anything.

I do hope it was just a short glitch.

:)