Northeast PA Geocaching event

PSUPAUL

quote:
Originally posted by the white diamond pirates:

Thanks to all!!

if anyone will be in on friday afternoon and wants to grab the caches at the park, please let me know - i'd love to go as a group -

jenn

A lot of us are camping Friday night so we will be checking in that afternoon. I have to work a half day so I won't be there until probably 3 or so. I have done most of the caches around the park so I would love to go along with some people that haven't done them yet. Wouldn't be much fun for me otherwise! icon_biggrin.gif Maybe we can get a bunch together then.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

The countdown has begun - 10 days and counting.

With some of us arriving on Friday to camp it's even a day closer.

Some new additions have been made and we welcome White Diamond Pirate (Jenn) who will be sharing campsite #32 with MissJenn. We also welcome Artvandelay and wife who will be staking out on campsite #30. Looks like there still are campsite available in our part of the Park.

I would like to keep the Event Webpage updated as best as possible so we will all know who is coming and what goodies we can look forward to. If you aren't already on the list or need a change let me know and I'll do so.

Also, I'd be happy to add a section for any activities anyone had in mind. I know there was talk of a group hike down the Falls and several inquires about going after some Caches together.

Dubbsy had also mentioned a Cache for the kids and possibly planting a new Cache.

Now is the time to make your peace with Mother Nature and the Rain Gods and start praying for nice weather.

Looking forward to meeting everyone and by the looks of it might take all weekend to do so.

EVENT WEBPAGE

MtnDave

A rough estimate by taking into account current list of campers (approx 35-40 persons)and day trippers appears to be a conserative count for Saturday of at least 60 to 75, and a good chance even more.

I'll be away for the weekend and unable to update the info Sat. or Sun. So if everybody could confirm ASAP so I will be able to keep the lists updated it would be helpful for others to decide what to bring. (besides appetites)

I don't know if anybody committed to paper products yet (plates, napkins, cups, plasticware). If not that would be a great thing to bring.

I have paper plates, plastic silverware and plastic cups, but NOT enough for a picnic of 60 to 75. This is all leftover stuff from my own event cache. I am guessing I have enough for 20 people so if someone else can bring another package of plates and box of silverware, we would be all set. If my estimate is wrong, I'll edit this post after I get home and look at the quantity of leftover supplies.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

Look's like I'm about 90% sure of going at this point. I'm gonna stay on the out of towners campsite with Lep and crew.

Any of you local guys wanna give better directions there then the sucky ones the map proggies spit out? I'll be taking Rt 80 from NJ.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Mopar, this will get you to the park from Rt I-80

Ricketts Glen State Park From Points East via Route I-80

? Take I-80 to Exit 277 (Old Pa. Exit 42). At the end of the ramp, cross over Rt. 940 to the entrance of the Northeast Extension PA Turnpike (I-476).

? Take Rt. I-476 North to the Wilkes-Barre Interchange Exit No. 36. Exits onto Rt. 115.

? Take Rt. 115 North to Wilkes-Barre. Junction with Rt. 309 N.

? Take Rt. 309 North to Dallas. At Dallas,

? Take Rt. 415 North to Rt. 118

? Take Rt. 118 West to Red Rock, approx. 18 miles. Passes through lower section of RGSP.

? Take Rt. 487 North up the mountain to entrance of Ricketts Glen State Park.

Trip mileage from Pa border at Delaware Water Gap to RGSP is 84 miles.

Travel time is approx. 1 Hr. 45 min.

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

MOPAR,

Here is an alternate route that you may want to consider.

* Interstate #80 West to Exit #236 (Lightstreet/Orangeville Exit). This is close to Bloomsburg.

* Take PA Route #487 North (This is a rural road but pretty good traveling.

* Follow Route #487 up thru Benton and keep going until you intersect PA Route #118.

You are almost there.

* Continue on Route #487 North. This is where the BIG HILL starts. There’s a 2-mile, 12% grade to climb. Park Entrance is at the top of the hill.

Have a Safe Trip in.

MtnDave

quote:
Originally posted by mtndave:

MOPAR,

Here is an alternate route that you may want to consider.

* Interstate #80 West to Exit #236 (Lightstreet/Orangeville Exit). This is close to Bloomsburg.

* Take PA Route #487 North (This is a rural road but pretty good traveling.

* Follow Route #487 up thru Benton and keep going until you intersect PA Route #118.

You are almost there.

* Continue on Route #487 North. This is where the BIG HILL starts. There’s a 2-mile, 12% grade to climb. Park Entrance is at the top of the hill.

Have a Safe Trip in.

MtnDave

I thinks Mtndave's might be best. Those of us from NEPA tend to think of Cachiers way but to someone from out of town Dave's way is probably easier. Less congestions, if you can call NEPA congested and less turns to get lost on.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Geo-Remdation:
Originally posted by mtndave:I thinks Mtndave's might be best. Those of us from NEPA tend to think of Cachiers way but to someone from out of town Dave's way is probably easier. Less congestions, if you can call NEPA congested and less turns to get lost on.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

Believe it or not, the route via Wilkes-Barre is actually shorter by 25 miles and 28 minutes. The instructions through Bloomsburg are fewer but the route through Wilkes-Barre is more direct. Ref: DeLorem Street Atlas USA Ver. 7.0 Think of the destinaton as a Geocache and the route changes of legs. Half the fun is getting there...there will be a test for credit. icon_biggrin.gif

Cachier icon_smile.gif

quote:

Sounds good to me. Someone could take their GPS'r to each turn and log the coordinates then no one from this group would get lost! icon_biggrin.gif

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

No need....My Topo USA displays map coordinates. Hey, ya want to make this a manditory route in. "Hot dog? Did you pass the checkpoint?" icon_razz.gif

We'll be arriving Friday night, probably after6 or 7, and staying until Sunday.

I'm going to print an 8x10 copy of the GC logo to post at the front of our spot.

Since some of us are only staying either Friday or Saturday night, maybe this is a good idea so that we don't accidentally bother the muggle campers who stay in those spots on the alternate night?

Feel free to let me know if this is a lame idea, lol. frog.gif

TomeBug & Paul & IMLost,

On one of my sleepless nights last week I printed up signs for each campsite reserved.

Sounds like we all think alike.

I don't have a copy here at work to send a sample but can do so tonight.

These signs contains the "Red Rock & Rolls" title, The Geocaching Logo and the Team Name for each site.

I put them in plastic sleeves to stay dry and intended to attach to each site pole. Thought it would help us find each other and make Geocacher presence visible.

MtnDave

[This message was edited by mtndave on May 05, 2003 at 08:36 AM.]

If you can, bring your own place setting. That way, if the paper plates run out, enough individuals will have their own. Other than that, bring an adventurers spirit, and a sense of cooperation, and we'll have everything we need. Someone is bringing soda, I'll bring several gallons of iced tea, and lemonade (sorry it will be mix, not fresh squeezed). If we have 200 hot dogs and hamburgers, and 30 people, we'll have to eat a lot! It looks like our turn out will be awesome, so if we have 200 people and 30 hot dogs, we'll have to cooperate and use our sense of humor! Thanks MtDave for all of your help with this site and with the campground mapping. I can't wait to see those signs you made, and I'll have your foosman shirt!

Several Camping additions have been made. icon_biggrin.gif

Please welcome:

Tyson Sprandel - Site #28

Team Cthulhu - Site #29

Enfanta - Site #25

Will ther be anybody camping this weekend that is not a Geocache???? icon_eek.gif

I'm sure there will be. At least when they arrive. I bet there will be a few conversions. icon_wink.gif

quote:
If we have 200 hot dogs and hamburgers, and 30 people, we'll have to eat a lot! It looks like our turn out will be awesome, so if we have 200 people and 30 hot dogs, we'll have to cooperate and use our sense of humor!

Hi Dubbsy!

We have an extra 24 pack of hotdogs and an extra 18 pack of burgers we will bring. I don't think you need to worry I am sure everyone is going to have a good time.

ImLost

I agree with IMLost - we'll all have a wonderful time and have plenty to eat! In the unlikely event that anyone ends up hungry, we can always scope out the food that people STILL leave in caches! icon_biggrin.gif

I narrowed down my "something sweet" contribution to homemade shoofly pie(s). [if you only see one pie, I will swear I didn't eat the whole thing for breakfast Saturday morning. The other Jenn will get the blame for it.]

-- I recognize fun when I see it.

OK....I'm pretty much packed up and ready to go.

We will be heading out tomorrow just before noo and hope to arrive by 1:30pm.

We will be setting up camp on Campsite #20. For those who just can't stop Geocaching the coordinates are:

N 41 20.538

W 76 17.951

I have just made my final updates on the Event Website. Here's a final round on the links:

Main Event Webpage

Who's comin' and Watcha Brigin'

* Weather….Your Geocachers….. Weather is just another challenge.

Safe traveling and see you all there.

MtnDave

What an awesome time. Great stories around the campfire, great food, great friendships made, and don't even mention the caching! Thanks again for all the work you did Dubbsy, MtnDave, and everyone else to numerous to mention who kept the picnic moving along. I want to do it again!!!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

quote:

What an awesome time. Great stories around the campfire, great food, great friendships made, and don't even mention the caching! Thanks again for all the work you did Dubbsy, MtnDave, and everyone else to numerous to mention who kept the picnic moving along. I want to do it again!!!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

Agreed!

Def the best event I've attended so far. Everyone and everything was great, made the long drive from NJ worthwhile.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

me too!!! (though the drive was from MA) - had a blast! thanks again -

i did get to stop and check out centralia - WILD!! started lookin up info online after stopping by (didn't have time to do the two traditional caches, so i did the virtual cache) -

thanks for tellin me about it - can't wait to get my pics back -

jenn

the white diamond pirates

What fun the weekend was and everyone that attended should take credit for being a most excellent group. Camping & caching, what a neat idea. Let's do this again.

My personal thanks to all those that attended and the many new friendships. A special thanks to Dubbsy for his inspiration and hard work.

Also thanks to Dubbsy for the Foosman shirt and Lep for the hat and wait a commerative magnet from Rich too.

MtnDave

Thanks to all of you who attended Red Rock & Rolls! The planning would have meant nothing without all of you. I can't believe how many new friends I've made, and I look forward to caching with them. Thanks again, I'll get with MtDave and we'll start planning the next one!!!

Dubbsy

P.S. If there's anyone who didn't get an event magnet by Rich in NEPA, and has discovered they can't live without one, let me know, I have a few left.

Sorry, forgot to post the prize winners:

Foosman Red MVP: PSUPaul

Travelled Farthest: White Diamond Pirate Jenn

Most Finds: Rich in NEPA (Sorry CCCooper - must be present to win!)

Least Finds: Suzanne and Adventure Bear

1st Responder: DaMaxx (Sorry CCCooper - must be present to win!!)

Oldest Attender - Artvandeley - 63 years young!

Youngest Attender - Dillon Walsh/Team CHIHLU - 13 months old!

Most "Not Found!" - MapLady

Most Amazing Caching Story - Trusty Lizard

Most State Cached in - Tomebug (9)

Owns the most caches - Questmaster (22)

Most Thankful for everyone who attended - Dubbsy & MtDave!

Thanks to everyone who is posting pictures on the event page. I took a total of three pictures! Two of Tomebug and the yellow jeep, and one of the pavilion and banner! If I did this right, for the first time I'll have a picture with my post, if not, well I'm a computer idiot!