Northeast PA Geocaching event

PSUPAUL

...and Ricketts Glen is the place! Everyone bring a covered dish and something to add to a cache we will place. Dubbsy is providing hamburgers, hotdogs, drinks, and a cache container. I think we should also bring a small cash donation to help him with the cost, the turnout seems like it will be pretty good.

Chloe the lab hopes to meet everyone!

I've been following theRed Rock & Roll thread and see that quiet a few have shown interest. I think this is a great idea that merits more attention.

As a realtive Rookie I can speak only for myself in saying that the thougt excites me. I have spoken to others that feel likewise.

A chance to do Caches, meet fellow Cachers (Rookies & Legends) and camp and eat too. Sounds like a chunk of Geo-Heaven. icon_razz.gif

I know that it is in the early stages of planning and I would just like to offer any assistance I can. Dubbsy, how can I help.

I'll keep my eyes and ears at the ready. Soon to make my campsite reservations. Curious as to how many plan to camp. If there are more than a few should we consider grouping up in part of a loop? I've done this with a camping club and it creates a real nice community feel. But then again some like their solitude, especially after a long day of caching.

As a matter of fact, yes we have. Will be setting up camp on site #20 (lakefront) of Friday and staying till Sunday. Looks like a pretty good size spot.

This will be the 1st trip out for the season and combining camping & cashing will be great.

Looking forward to meeting new faces.

Well, I just staked my claim on Site 17. None too soon for RV campers. The next available RV site is in the 70's. We're looking forward to meeting ya'll on the weekend of May 10th. Drop me a line if I can help with any of the details. icon_smile.gif

Cachier

"When you find it, its always in the last place you look."

Coordinates listed on the Cache Page are now for the Pavilion #2 which is reserved for us at Ricketts Glen. Coordinates are also listed for the Park Office, and the entrance to the camping area. It's definately a go! I look forward to meeting everyone.

Dubbsy

Dubbsy looks like he has the ball rolling. Glad you got a Pavilion as we all know how changeable Spring Weather can be. Thanks for all your hard work Dubbsy. Let me know what I do to help.

Looks like the GeoCaching-Camping Community is growing for the weekend. So far it appears we are getting sites grouped pretty close together. Actually looks like we have pretty much taken the Shoreline sites mostly all together.

I created a simple map that I'll post the link to this evening when I get home. It shows the Park Campsite Map and a list of Geo Campers & their site numbers. Should make it easier to find your Cacher Buddies upon arrival and saves the aimless wandering for later.

If I missed anybody or you get a site later on just let me know and I'll add you on.

[This message was edited by mtndave on March 10, 2003 at 10:00 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Geo-Remdation:

and maybe IMLOST, if his wife lets him

Hey PSUPaul who has the best wife in the world? That would be ME! She booked site #22 for TWO nights. icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by IMLost on March 10, 2003 at 10:33 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by IMLost:

quote:
Originally posted by Team Geo-Remdation:

and maybe IMLOST, if his wife lets him

Hey PSUPaul who has the best wife in the world? That would be ME! She booked site #22 for TWO nights. icon_razz.gif

[This message was edited by IMLost on March 10, 2003 at 10:33 AM.]

Yours is pretty good, but you wouldn't be 'dissing your sister now would you?

OK Folks. Nothing fancy here.

I thought it would be nice if we all had an idea where everybody is going to be setting up camp for the weekend. Done this in the past on Group camping trips and it helps a bit.

Ricketts Glen SP - Geocachers Campsite Roster/Map

Looks like we are capitalizing the Shorefront lots mostly all in a row. TrustyLizard is gonna be the Point Man on the Flank and Cachier will be the Gate Keeper of the path to the Buck House. icon_eek.gif

If the link dosen't work or I missed someone or you need added, just let me know.

quote:
Originally posted by Cachier:

quote:
Originally posted by mtndave:

OK Folks. Nothing fancy here.

Looks like we are capitalizing the Shorefront lots mostly all in a row. TrustyLizard is gonna be the Point Man on the Flank and Cachier will be the Gate Keeper of the path to the Buck House. icon_eek.gif

Yeah, we'll put our lawn chair out and watch you all come and go. icon_wink.gif Nice job, Dave!

The thread was kinda getting buried so I thought I would bump it up.

WBFD just notified me that they will also be joining us for the camping portion as well as the Picinic. We have now almost taken the whole shoreline.

Once again, here is the link showing who will be where.

Ricketts Glen GeoCachers Campsite Roster/Map

If I missed anybody please let me know and I'll add your site to the map.

*** I know it seems a ways off but it will soon be time to start talkin' about who will be bringing what kind of Vittles to the Picinic. I know I'm already working up an appetite.

And Trusty Lizard starts the food frenzie with Cheezecake, no less. I always say, let's start with Dessert. Must be the kid in me.

I know for sure that we will be whipping up a batch of Homemade Cilantro Salsa icon_redface.gif. We will also be making a main dish too but haven't decided exactly what yet.

Anybody know if the Pavalion has electricity for crockpots, warming tray, "ice cream maker""icon_biggrin.gif"?

OK, I'm getting hungry now....

Trusty >>> Moved you on the campsite map. Glad to see you closer. I'm expecting some more possible campsite additions if their are any sites left.

The Leprechauns have reserved campsite #33 for late Friday night arrival from Western PA. I have updated the campground map to reflect this addition. This brings the the count to 9 campsites of Geocachers all in a row. What a Hoot !!!

If anyone else is camping and is not on the map list let me know. Sites #34 & #36 are looking pretty lonely. If we can fill these site I think we can officially say we have taken the shoreline.

I know it's still 5 weeks away but we all may want to start thinking about who is bringing what for the Saturday Pot Luck Picinic. I know I already have a couple of items on my list.

I'll offer to set up a very simple webpage to list who's coming and what they are bringing if you think this would be of benefit.

MtnDave

I put a map at link:

http://user.pa.net/~bskburns

This is from expertgps.com software

The points are from the geocaching download when the box is checked for 'also download nearest placenames.' The points get loaded with the cache waypoint. It has a free 2 week trial. It gives topo and aerial view of anywhere in the u.s.

[This message was edited by bob from millville on April 03, 2003 at 06:39 PM.]

[This message was edited by bob from millville on April 04, 2003 at 06:29 AM.]

[This message was edited by bob from millville on April 04, 2003 at 06:30 AM.]

Thanks for the map. What are all those waypoints? Surely they can't all be caches, or stages of multicaches, or benchmarks?

There is probably a simple answer to this that will allow me to demonstrate my utter stupidity when it comes to online mapping software.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Team Bubbletree takes site #23 and Lightnsound takes site #38.

Looks like this side of the campground is filling up with Geocachers. That brings the current count to 12 campsites taken by Geocachers.

Campsite Map has been updated.

Campsite Map and Roster

Have a safe trip in everybody.

MtnDave

[This message was edited by mtndave on April 03, 2003 at 06:50 PM.]

We booked site 38 for Friday and Saturday nights. We will hopefully be bringing along a couple of friends who haven't cached yet, but will probably be hooked before the camping trip. Missy makes kick-butt chocolate chip cookies, nice and soft and chewy. We'll be sure to bring enough to share. If there is anything else we can do or bring, please don't hesitate to drop us a line. -- Craig

quote:
Originally posted by team bubbletree:

Team bubbletree will be at site 23 (24 & 36 booked). See you guys Friday night.

Oh, I hope 24 and 36 are cachers that just haven't logged in with us yet. Otherwise we will have to convert them to cachers before the weekend is over!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

UPDATE: 4/8/03

BotanicalLady has selected campsite #19 to reside for the weekend. Welcome.

That brings the total campsites to 13 and counting and we are all still grouped together.

I have updated the Campsite Roster & Map to reflect the addition.

I have also made a few (non-professional) enhancements. Thanks to GeoScouter for posting the Park Map. I cropped out the Water fall Trail Map and linked it to the Campsite Webpage.

Geo-Campsite Roster and other Links

MtnDave

Well, it is now a little less than 4 weeks away, we should probably start a list of who brings what. Mntdave, you have done such a great job with your website, any chance of checking the past posts and starting a list online? We then need to send an email to other saying they are attending and request what they may put in the pot. I can do that after Dave finishes current offers.

This looks like we will have a great time. I am really looking forward to it.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

Site #32

I'll bring something sweet, other than myself.icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trustylizard:

I make a killer cheesecake...most anything else you could request can be made...just let me know.

I request the first piece of cheesecake, please! (and I'll bring this yummy raspberry wine that is too sweet to drink but is amazing on cheesecake).

-----

You must be present to win.

Welcome MissJenn to the camp village. I have added you to the campground map.

I traveled to Ricketts Glen on Sunday to scout it out a bit and the campsites and facilities appear quiet nice. We are grouped mostly along the water and it will be easy to get around and visit.

Although it still seems quite a while off I thought for the sake of planning we should get an idea of the who's & what's.

I set up another page on the website with an attendee list and a list of who is bringing what goodies for the picinic.

Just drop a post or e-mail me and I will update the lists. For the campers, let me know who will be on your site so I can list. This will help when visiting.

The total head count should help everyone decide what and how much to bring to the picinic. Also it will assist in planning any activities that will be announced later on.

Here's the New Link.

The Goodies and Attendee Lists

Just a quick note to say that Calvera and Geoff, aka Glimpse, will be on our site. I'll bring a drum and I'm sure Geoff will bring his guitar. Any body else have an instrument or feel like singing? I usually have a few kazoos in my bootie bag, so the kids (and grownups) and play along.

I am not addicted to geocaching, really.

It looks like my 250th find may occur sometime during the weekend of this event. Could someone please post recommendations of the "can't miss" caches for us out-of-towners to visit when we're in the area? Is there one in particular that stands out as a milestone cache? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

It looks like my 250th find may occur sometime during the weekend of this event. Could someone please post recommendations of the "can't miss" caches for us out-of-towners to visit when we're in the area? Is there one in particular that stands out as a milestone cache? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Oh, the pressure! I am not sure how far you want to travel but a Rich in NEPA cache would be great. There is a pretty nice one in Wilkes-Barre Seven Tubs that is about another 20 to 30 minutes east. I haven't done many west of Ricketts but JackQuest has some pretty good ones. There cache in Ricketts is a good way to get around the park and will be a natural for you to do, JQ007-Ricketts Glen. Of course you will have to do mine, but I don't think it is worthy of a 250th find, it was however, designed to get people to a part of the park that is normally ignored, Paul-Mart: Watch out for Falling Water If you want more detailed suggestions feel free to send me an email and we can discuss your travel plans.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

Another Cache to consider if you want to stay in the park is Mountain Spring Lake Siding by Cachier.

I previously attempted this cache but encountered a blinding snow squall whiteout. Lost all sattelite links and ground covered up real fast.

Just last night while at Barnes & Nobel I discovered a book by a local author that details all the history of this interesting site. VERY COOL!!!

I actually thought I might make another try on this one maybe in the morning before the picinic.

Hopefully the snow will be all gone by then, although it was snowing here (about 1/2 hour away) yesterday. YIKES !!!

hi all! looks like i'll be geo-crashing the event =) i live in Lexington, Ky, but am travling home to see some family (and of course, score some caches) in MA, and was planning on traveling home on either the 9th or 10th - looks like i may drive down to PA on the 9th, hang out over night, snag a few MORE caches, meet some cool folks, and then continue on my merry way back to Lexington!

I'm planning this trip on a shoestring (even thinner) budget, and if someone can either put me up out of the kindness of their hearts, or accept whatever i can give em in return, i'd GREATLY appreciate it!

please drop em a line via email - and i'll check back here when i can -

Thanks!

jenn

the white diamonds pirates

lexington, ky

quote:
Originally posted by the white diamond pirates:

I'm planning this trip on a shoestring (even thinner) budget, and if someone can either put me up out of the kindness of their hearts, or accept whatever i can give em in return, i'd GREATLY appreciate it!

Jenn,

I have a site and I will be the only one in it. If you swear to me that you are not a psychopathic ax murderer (or any other sort of murderer), you can certainly set up your tent at my site.

Drop me an email and let me know. We can work out the details and such.

- Jenn

You must be present to win.

I sent Jenn a note telling her we could probably find her a place to put up a tent. Thanks MissJenn for the offer. Her response was she would not have camping gear with her. I can probably rustle up a tent for her. Anyone else have an extra sleeping bag? I am sure we can work this out to welcome a KY/MA cacher to our group.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

thanks all =)

i do have a sleeping bag in some deep dark storage somewhere, - actully, i might just be able to rustle up a tent from a friend -

my biggest obstacle is finances - it's a very long story which i'd be glad to explain to anyone who wants to listen (you have been warned *G*) but i've got to travel on the EXTRA cheap - i'll offer what help i can, but cash is LOW -

any help people can offer would be outstanding!

jenn

Jenn, get there with some basic camping stuff and we will take care of you. We will just flip some extra shrimp on the barbie (or more likely another burger on the grill) and it will be fine. The only cost should be your gas to get here.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

Jenn

Got your response to my e-mail of last night and saw the entries on todays thread.

One thing you will find is that the folks in Northeast PA are the Greatest!!!!

I saw MissJenn's post.....That would be interesting - Jenn & MissJenn on the same campsite.

Paul is correct. Just bring yourself and the basics. All the rest will fall into place. We have such a large group of campers I'm sure Food, Fire and Shelter are not a problem and may in excess.

Fact is you may just not want to leave.

Have a safe trip in.