Bookmark Lists and the API

I have found Bookmark Lists to be very useful and, for some Challenge caches, a necessity. GSAK has a couple of useful macros to aid in Bookmark List construction, but none can add details to the Comments field, apparently because access to the Comments field is not presently provided in the API. Cutting and pasting the same comment to each entry in a longer Bookmark List can take several hours, so I would like to request consideration be given to providing Bookmark List Comments access in the API.

Bookmark Lists seem to allow more than 1000 caches to be added.

I don't think this is the case. As a test, I just added 1000 caches to a list, and then tried to add one more through the website. I got the following message:

You have reached the maximum number of items for this list (1000).

Thinking this could just be a website limitation, I tried adding a cache to the list using the API through GSAK, and got the following error:

Bookmarklist can not have more than 1,000 caches.

If you've somehow managed to get more than 1000 caches into a list, then I think it was the result of a bug. If you can remember the circumstances in which this happened, you could post a bug report in the Website forum to let the developers know, because it seems pretty clear from the above messages that lists aren't intended to have more than 1000 caches in them.

My ignore list is several thousand entries, but the API has recently started returning only 1000 entries.

This has broken a GSAK macro "MaintainIgnoreList.gsk", which used to work properly. Please change this so all entries can, again, be returned.

As long as the code is valid and works with the major browsers, there is nothing for GS to fix. It is the responsibility of the authors of third party software to adapt their code to changes in the site. Have you posted a query in the GSAK forums, to alert the author it needs attention?

My ignore list is several thousand entries, but the API has recently started returning only 1000 entries.

This has broken a GSAK macro "MaintainIgnoreList.gsk", which used to work properly. Please change this so all entries can, again, be returned.

As long as the code is valid and works with the major browsers, there is nothing for GS to fix. It is the responsibility of the authors of third party software to adapt their code to changes in the site. Have you posted a query in the GSAK forums, to alert the author it needs attention?

When the macro didn't work, my first port of call was the macro developer and, after significant testing, we discovered the changed API behaviour. In case this was related to the October 24 release, I posted a note in that thread, but got no response. After a reasonable period I posted in this thread in the API sub-forum. Before the macro developer makes changes to the macro to fit this API change, it seems reasonable to ask whether this was a deliberate change or an unintended consequence of the Oct. 24 release. If the former, presumably the API has also been changed to allow the API to loop through the Ignore List picking up records 1000 at a time. I'm no expert on the API but, as far as I can tell, there isn't a "Start at record nnn" parameter, so it isn't possible for the macro developer to get the whole Ignore list anyway. Of course, I may be wrong.

On the other hand, if this was an unintended consequence, presumably the developers will reverse the change at some point and all will be well again.

Ideally, a developer (or a Lackey speaking on behalf of the developers) will reply here and let us know the state of play.

Until we know whether the macro developer needs to code around this change and, if so, how that can be achieved we will just have to live with a broken macro.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Gill & Tony