Travelling Event?

JASTA 11

This is a first for us:

http://coord.info/GCK5E6

reusing event listings is somewhat common and it seems reasonable to change the location. I assume the creators of the event have communicated what they're doing with the reviewer to prevent the listing from being archived after an instance of the event has occurred. On the other hand, a cut-n-paste of the relevant content and creating a new event for each instance doesn't seem like it would be impractical either.

(Ah....the event is in Ohio)

Yeah, as soon as I saw that, I stopped being surprised.

Although I'd love to pile on NE Ohio events, this is actually rather common, although I suppose it can be regional. I will say most of the time I've seen the event listing "re-used", it was in the same location every month. I suppose a moving one to different indoor establishments isn't too far out of the norm. I have indeed seen some occasional snide remarks in area's where event listings are "re-used" though. :)

It may be helpful to keep in mind that the event was set up originally by a "founding member" of the Ohio geocaching community, who passed away at a tragically young age in 2005. The event he established has lived on as a continuing tribute to his memory. The locals like it that way, and it's not breaking any rules at this time.

Disclosure: the original event host was a personal friend of mine, and I delivered the eulogy at his funeral.

Thanks for indulging me this reminder to keep things in perspective.

No, thank you for reminding us that it's not all about the rules.

It is eternally amazing to me how much humans seem to want rules to cover every eventuality, when in fact common sense and good judgment are far more effective. This thread has been a very clear example of that.

Edited by fizzymagic

No, thank you for reminding us that it's not all about the rules.

It is eternally amazing to me how much humans seem to want rules to cover every eventuality, when in fact common sense and good judgment are far more effective. This thread has been a very clear example of that.

Whether its a good thing or a bad thing, was just saying that if I see a cache that has 1000s of finds from an event where folks are logging it over and over, its been Ohio every time. Not a judgement, just a reality.

The old "Cliffsides and Grapevines" events in our area were similar. They would just re-enable every time they would get together to do some climbing. They didn't move all over the place though.

Are they trying for Mega or Giga status?!

I guess its more common than I thought.

I'm surprised those C&G events were allowed to continue along that way up here in the Bay Colony. :unsure:

Hobbies get regional flairs, so it's not all that strange that geocaching does as well.

Full disclosure, I lived in NE Ohio for many years and this was the first event cache I visited (I also logged it 4 times from four different visits, so my visited/unique numbers are accordingly different). No one in the area ever really had issue with it.

I should also note, now that I have lived away from the area for 4 years, the only thing that ever annoyed me is once or twice a year I still get the announcements for some sudden change in the event for the next month!