62s map screen jumps

uxorious

I recently made the mistake of buying a 62s to replace my 60CSx. While out looking for some caches today, I had a problem with my map screen jumping around. I noticed the direction arrow on the top of the screen was jumping from N to NE and back to NW, making the whole screen move.

I got home and got out my trusty 60CSx, holding the two side by side. The 60 was just fine, but the 62 was jumping around.

I don't know if it was the same problem, but the distance reading was also jumping. Standing in one spot, and it said 6ft to the cache, then 28ft, then 4ft the other way.

I calibrated the compass twice today, but didn't seem to help. This is the second time I have had this problem with this unit. I'm sure it must be some setting, but heck if I can find it.

Any ideas?

Interesting. I had turned the compass off to see if that had anything to do with it. After reading this today, I checked and the compass was on!? After breakfast I will have to go out and see if that makes a difference.

I do have it set for track up. That's how I have always had my 60CSx, and my old Magellan.

This new unit, (for me) just doesn't seem to be as user friendly as my 60CSx. If it wasn't for paperless, I would not have bought a different system. If I could find another way to go paperless, I would get rid of this thing. B) (can't find a way to use my Palm m500 with windows 7)

If you have the map set for track up then the map will rotate every time you rotate. Isnt that your complaint ? Or am I miss understanding the problem. When it is set to north up, north will always be towards the top of the screen and the map stays still as you turn holding the gps, off course north up on your screen map doesnt mean north in the real world unless you are facing north.

Edited by Forkeye

If you have the map set for track up then the map will rotate every time you rotate. Isnt that your complaint ? Or am I miss understanding the problem. When it is set to north up, north will always be towards the top of the screen and the map stays still as you turn holding the gps, off course north up on your screen map doesnt mean north in the real world unless you are facing north.

My 60CSx is set up the same way, but doesn't do this.

If I am walking straight the map moves back and forth, as much as 20 degrees.

I turned off the compass and it still does this. I will try setting the thing for N up and see if that makes a difference.

You can probably test it inside, power up your gps, get a satellite fix and just turn on the spot.

If you are set to north up your map screen wont rotate

If you are set to track up the screen will rotate as you turn

You are holding the unit in front of you and just rotate

You can set either the satellite page or your map for either north up or track up, two different settings

Edited by Forkeye

OK, I checked it again, and set for north up. That fixed the screen problem.

I double checked on my 60CSx and it was also set for north up. All this time I've been using it, I thought it was set for track up. (if I gave it any thought at all.)

Took both out in the yard today, and holding them side by side, they seem to be working the same now. Thank you all for the help.

One thing I did notice today, was the difference in accuracy. About 25ft difference in the readings. When they settled down they were much closer. I've seen that a few times when I've cached with others, so I'm not too concerned about that, just found it interesting.

Glad you got it squared away.....you're going to love the 62S. Previously my favorite was the Meridian Platinum followed by the 60CSx but now I much prefer the 62S. Using the compass screen to walk to a cache is on par with the Platinum and better than the 60CSx which was quirky. I got a 62S for the wife and one for backup.

By the way, my units are always set to north up also.

Glad you got it squared away.....you're going to love the 62S. Previously my favorite was the Meridian Platinum followed by the 60CSx but now I much prefer the 62S. Using the compass screen to walk to a cache is on par with the Platinum and better than the 60CSx which was quirky. I got a 62S for the wife and one for backup.

I love my 60CSx, it is very user friendly for non tech guys like me. The only thing the 62s does that is an improvement is it is paperless. If I could figure out some other way of going paperless, the 62 would be on the for sale part of this forum.

I'll give it more time, but I am not falling in love with this thing. :blink::)

One thing that does help is having so many here on the forum ready and willing to help. I really appreciate that.

The 60csx and the 62s are almost identical in basic operation but the 62s has lots more features other than just paperless for geocaching. The banner menu, battery saver mode, Garmin adventures, view geo tagged photos, 3 axis compass, Birds eye, user profiles, unique screen views like a mini compass, perhaps you just haven't got to know it yet, not your fault , the manual is pretty poor.

I have a 60CSx and a 64s. I don't think the 64s is a whole lot different than the 62s - they even look the same. I'm liking the 64s a lot. Something that Forkeye didn't mention in his excellent post is how much faster the newer models zoom and pan compared to the 60CSx. Also, the limited number of Geocaches that the 60CSx would hold was a problem for me.

I got to the 64s from the 60CSx by way of a somewhat problematic Oregon 600. The 600 functions somewhat similarly to the 64s (and I assume the 62) so that helped me with the learning curve.

The 60csx and the 62s are almost identical in basic operation but the 62s has lots more features other than just paperless for geocaching. The banner menu, battery saver mode, Garmin adventures, view geo tagged photos, 3 axis compass, Birds eye, user profiles, unique screen views like a mini compass, perhaps you just haven't got to know it yet, not your fault , the manual is pretty poor.

We all cache a little different, but for my use almost none of the things you mentioned after paperless would be anything I would use.(except battery saver mode.)

I don't put 50 or 100 caches into the GPS at a time, and I like to delete the ones I find as soon as I find them. I hate having to connect to the computer to delete caches, and I hate that the caches in the GPS are deleted when I load new ones. (I know the latter can be avoided by loading the caches as files, something else I need to learn. :) )

I am not putting the 62s down, I am sure for most users it is a great step forward. It's just for me and my style of playing this game I wish I could have kept my Palm m500, and my Garmin 60CSx combo. They worked perfectly.

I love my 60CSx, it is very user friendly for non tech guys like me. The only thing the 62s does that is an improvement is it is paperless. If I could figure out some other way of going paperless, the 62 would be on the for sale part of this forum.

I'll give it more time, but I am not falling in love with this thing. :blink::)

One thing that does help is having so many here on the forum ready and willing to help. I really appreciate that.

You sound like me. I much preferred my 60 to my 62S. My first 62S was a mess - bouncy, compass stopped working after about a year, buttons wore off, and many other complaints (including needing to settle in order to be accurate) that I've posted in the forums. Finally after a frustrating almost 2 years I sent it in and received a refurbished (for about $180 CDN - I've invested a lot in the 62). Much better but still gives me some trouble with gpx files and map screen not behaving properly. Anyway, I completely agree that I don't need all those extra bells and whistles. The stuff I do need have to be set up or the feature is buried somewhere amongst all the bells & whistles which I don't know how to get to it without getting the manual out. Things like track back I still haven't figured it out. In the 60 the trackback feature was easy. The 62 is the least user friendly garmin that I have had. I had assumed that garmin was going to give me a 60 with the ability to read gpx files. Not something altogether different (except for the shape of the device and similar button layout).

We all cache a little different, but for my use almost none of the things you mentioned after paperless would be anything I would use.(except battery saver mode.)

I don't put 50 or 100 caches into the GPS at a time, and I like to delete the ones I find as soon as I find them. I hate having to connect to the computer to delete caches, and I hate that the caches in the GPS are deleted when I load new ones. (I know the latter can be avoided by loading the caches as files, something else I need to learn. :) )

I am not putting the 62s down, I am sure for most users it is a great step forward. It's just for me and my style of playing this game I wish I could have kept my Palm m500, and my Garmin 60CSx combo. They worked perfectly.

I generally use my iphone app now. But when battery life is an issue or I can't find the cache, I use my 62.

I used the CSx - M500 combo along with a Platinum. I upgraded the M500's to Sony Clie's ( they were faster, brighter, and gave me backup ). Then we got a Nuvi 500 which was our first paperless but we were still carrying an extra device into the woods. I then got an Oregon 450 for my wife ( nice unit ) and later a 62S for me. We liked the 62 better and I now have 3.

I was used to deleting them as I found them also but they show as open chests and I can load new PQ's to all my units, including my Nuvi, in about a minute. I just believe in time you'll come to really like the 62.....I'm really a dinosaur and hate change but I'm really liking mine.