How does a geo dog disc work?

hogshunters

We are fairly new in Geocaching and are really loving it! For Christmas we bought our dog, Tilly, a Geo disc but are unsure how to 'use' it.

Tilly is a very friendly Golden Retriever and loves people to acknowledge her when we are out walking and geocaching [we appreciate that not all people love dogs and therefore keep her controlled until they say its OK for Tilly to come to them] So we thought the disc might be a good way for Tilly to meet fellow Geocachers - but so far we have not met any geocachers on our walks [ as far as we know that is!] SO - can anyone tell me how to use this geo disc please? We would also love to meet some fellow Geocachers. Thank you for any help and advice.

The odds of meeting a fellow cacher are small. With 6000 finds I am thinking less than 10 chance encounters and a few of then we're people I already knew who weren't at the cache site when we meet. As the Bear said events are the best place. You can go to notifications and set it up so you will get an email when one is listed.

I've had a few chance encounters (FTF, at a stop sign when the car in front had a decal, etc.). The most encounters was at a single cache - a cache with a large number of finds and favorites. There were at least 8 cachers in the cave at the same time, and we met others on the trail.

The previous suggestions are great for better odds of success.

Many thanks for all your replies - very helpful.

We are hoping to go to the Kent Mega in ? May - just need to find out if dogs are allowed to attend.

Bear and Ragged - are you located in Warwickshire? Just wondered as we live in South Warwickshire.

Most events in the UK try to be 'dog friendly' especially the Mega Events.

(As they are usually weekend long, a lot of cachers camp. Unfair to leave the dog at home for that length of time!)

811c080f-ee4f-4b7b-a32c-bf5f71f9a60d_a.jpg

So what gave the game away? :laughing:

Looking at your finds...

CacheWalkers may be in your part of the World. Around Long Compton series was set by one of the group for one of the CacheWalker Events.

We love walking in the Coteswolds - but its not the area where we live - we went over there specifically to place a TB that we had picked up just before Christmas.

I must confess to finding it difficult to navigate round the cachewalker site.

Looking at your finds...

CacheWalkers may be in your part of the World. Around Long Compton series was set by one of the group for one of the CacheWalker Events.

We love walking in the Coteswolds - but its not the area where we live - we went over there specifically to place a TB that we had picked up just before Christmas.

I must confess to finding it difficult to navigate round the cachewalker site.

Hi, I'm an admin on the CacheWalker site.

May I ask what you found difficult? Did you log in on a mobile/tablet which may have redirected you to the mobile version? If this was the case, there's an option to switch to the desktop version at the bottom of the page. (Scroll down as far as you can go, then on the bottom right click "full site")

Thanks in advance for letting me know - feel free to sign up on the site and join in or ask questions about caching in this area - you could try logging on to CacheWalker on a computer too :)

You'll find details of our next event on the site, which is on 15th Feb at the Snowshill Arms - a social evening with a game of skittles! :)

Edited by Griff Grof