Travel Bug Hotels for Northeast airports

The Artful Dodger

After pondering on a previous posting I made regarding the inability of some of my bugs to hitch a ride overseas from the USA, I was thinking that we are in need of some good Bug Hotels along the Northeast here.

For those you are not familiar with TB hotels, these are caches specifically set up near a airport (usually within walking or short drive distance) where a geocachers can either drop off or pick up a TB if they are flying overseas or wish their TB to be taken abroad. There are hotels at inland airports too for domestic travel.

A search on 'hotel' shows a few of them set up in the UK for this purpose. It seems to work well.

It would be great to have a hotel near Logan Airport, Boston or Newark, New Jersey or even JFK. A good idea would be to place one of these caches at rest stops or those restaurant rest areas littered on major roads.

If anyone is near some of these areas, let us know if you can help out with the creation of the Travel Bug Hotels. One could modify the TB cache page to ask geocachers to place it in XXX hotel for departure.

...anyway, just a thought..... icon_wink.gif

9929_1400.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

Are there any near the Philadelphia International Airport?

Mo. We scouted that out a few weeks ago when we were picking someone up.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

I think that airport or railroad terminals are a bit risky because of the security concerns. There are several caches I have passed up because I don't want to get busted looking for a cache. There was a nice one that I visited in Hyde Park, in London, that lasted quite a while. Central Park caches just don't seem to last long. I'm afraid that it is not on to have a physical cache in a high traffic area with lot's of people around. If a person is too busy to go to a less crowded area, so be it. When travelling without an automobile, it can be quite difficult to get to a physical cache. I had someone bicycle a couple of miles to one of my caches from their hotel at Westchester Airport, I was quite impressed. I'm afraid it just can't be both easy and secure.

Think about it Crusso, do you really want to lose your job for this hobby? I am specifically thinking of a bomb planted in a locker at Laguardia a couple of decades ago by Croation Nationalists that killed a cop. Are you really going to receive packages from stangers and put them in your locker?

Jonboy,

Not for nuthin but what the he** are you talking about? Losing my Job? Packages? Bomb scares?

1. Since when are TBs "packages"

2. Why would I lose my job for keeping somethng in my personal locker that I accepted from a geocacher.

3. I'm the guy that checks for the bombs to begin with!

Wherever you go, there you are!

Okay I'll spell it out for you. Airport security has come under special scrutiny since 9/11, especially airport employees who are able to bypass normal screening measures. You are offering to receive small items from people you don't know and hand them off to other people you don't know, assuming because they contacted you through geocaching.com, they are okay. Do you really expect your head of airport security to share your trusting nature? That little stuffed toy attatched to the tag will doubtless be totally innocent, but his job, and yours it seems, is to question anything out of the ordinary that is passed through the airport, especially things that are handed off in a clandestine manner. I admit it is far fetched (like passengers hijacking airliners and crashing them into skyscrapers), but they have to assume that that little stuffed toy could be full of plastic explosive, or drugs or any other kind of sick, nasty thing. I would hope and expect that there is some kind of surveillance both in the terminal and in the parking area and that if any airport employee is seen covertly handing off a small item to a traveller, immediate action would be taken. I don't think I would enjoy trying to explain geocaching and travelbugs while handcuffed in an interrogation room.

quote:
posted July 10, 2003 12:29 PM

Okay I'll spell it out for you. Airport security has come under special scrutiny since 9/11, especially airport employees who are able to bypass normal screening measures. You are offering to receive small items from people you don't know and hand them off to other people you don't know, assuming because they contacted you through geocaching.com, they are okay. Do you really expect your head of airport security to share your trusting nature? That little stuffed toy attatched to the tag will doubtless be totally innocent, but his job, and yours it seems, is to question anything out of the ordinary that is passed through the airport, especially things that are handed off in a clandestine manner. I admit it is far fetched (like passengers hijacking airliners and crashing them into skyscrapers), but they have to assume that that little stuffed toy could be full of plastic explosive, or drugs or any other kind of sick, nasty thing. I would hope and expect that there is some kind of surveillance both in the terminal and in the parking area and that if any airport employee is seen covertly handing off a small item to a traveller, immediate action would be taken. I don't think I would enjoy trying to explain geocaching and travelbugs while handcuffed in an interrogation room.

Jonboy,

I'm not trying to be nasty or flame you but you obviously don't know anything about me or what I proposed.

1. I am not talking a "clandestine" hand-off (Dude, stop watchin so much Alias!) I would simply be handed an item from someone in a very open manner such as that goes on in any airport about 10 million times a day in the PUBLIC area of the airport.

2. The item would not be sent into the "sterile" area of the airport as there would be no need, my locker is not in the "sterile" area. Even if it did, it would have to pass through the xray & other detection equipment first.

3. As far as the head of security at the checkpoint questioning what I am doing.... DUDE, that's me!!

4. I would have no need to do this "on the Sly" since just about everyone who works under me knows what Geocaching is & several of them now cache.

5. Let me reiterate.... Nothing would be done illegally, clandestinelly (even a word?) or in any manner that would bypass, compromise or in any other way negatively impact airport security. My job is first & foremost to insure that another 9/11 does not happen & it happens to be something I take very seriously. For you to imply anything else is an insult to me and the oath I took as a federal officer.... So basically .... Lighten up about what u don't know! (not personally attacking you, just trying to let you know that I've got it covered)

Chris

Chris, I think you might have missunderstood the original proposal, and Jonboy's reaction to it.

As I read it, IV_Warrior was proposing using a locker in the airport for a TB hotel cache. In other words, create a cache page that leads the person the locker #1234 int terminal X, and the combination on the locker is 4321.

Geocachers would come and go, trading TB's in that locker, with no personal interaction with anyone.

So, when you offered up a locker you are personally accountable for, Jonboy was concerned, and rightly so, I think. Do you really want anyone who can read a website being able to access your locker to trade stuff without you checking it first?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by MissJenn:

Are there any near the Philadelphia International Airport?

(PHL)

(This message may only be useful to me for the next 2 hours, but hey - it's a good thread for others, too!)

-- _Do you have a towel handy?_

Gee, 20 minutes away and ya didnt even stop by for coffee? GEESH!

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Duplicate post..... (see above)

I've been having problems with log in lately.

When I go to Geocaching I automatically log in & then when I go to the forums sometimes I'm logged in & sometimes I'm not. When I type a reply,I sometimes get bounced to the log in screen or get a bad server error then a duplicate post pops up..... ugh!

[This message was edited by Crusso on July 10, 2003 at 11:25 PM.]

I don't think I misunderstood the original proposal at all. It was simply to have caches near airports set up as TB hotels.

A later proposal by IV Warriors talked about the locker set up. MY proposal was that since I work at the airport I would be willing to act as a go-between & accept TBs which I would store & then redistribute.

I never volunteered giving out the combination to my locker or accept "packages" as jonboy was concerned (& rightly so) about. I think that when I did mention my locker, that may have created some of the confusion. No one would have access to the locker but me. Believe me, I would thoroughly (sp?) check out anything that was given to me. I have access to the xray equipment as well as the drug & bomb sniffing dogs so trust me on that score. icon_cool.gif

I am simply talking about a cacher handing me a TB in the public area which I would hold on to & give to another cacher who wanted to move it along. I don't see where the big deal came from. icon_rolleyes.gif

My proposal still stands. If anyone is interested in doing this I will set up a "TB Hotel" cache using the coords for the airport. Anyone wanting to drop off or pick up a bug needs to contact me in advance or make sure to come in during my shift & I will take custody/transfer TBs. icon_biggrin.gif

Anyone concerned about any security issues or innapropriate behavior or any other concerns is free & encouraged to stop by the airport, meet me, & I'll even give you a tour of the place (public areas only). I think alot of the cachers in this area know me & know I wouldn't be doing anything innapropriate. Especially, as Jonboy stated, since my job would be at stake if I did. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by Crusso on July 10, 2003 at 11:29 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Crusso:

I don't think I misunderstood the original proposal at all. It was simply to have caches near airports set up as TB hotels.

The original proposal was a year old. MissJenn dug up an old thread to post her request for a TB hotel neal Phili International. That DID spark a new discussion with:

quote:
Originally posted by IV_Warrior:

I've wondered about lockers. Do airports have lockers that people can rent? Preferable with a combination lock, or a supply your own lock setup. That'd make a great travel bug hotel, no need to even leave the airport....

To which you replied:

quote:

Hmmm, I happen to work at Westchester airport. I happen to have a locker. I would be happy to store/transfer/pass on bugs, etc.

See why we might think you were talking about the same thing as IV_Warrior?

quote:

I am simply talking about a cacher handing me a TB in the public area which I would hold on to & give to another cacher who wanted to move it along. I don't see where the big deal came from. icon_rolleyes.gif

From your initial reply to IV Warrior. Nothing wrong with passing off a tb to you, heck, I've done it myself icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

My proposal still stands. If anyone is interested in doing this I will set up a "TB Hotel" cache using the coords for the airport. Anyone wanting to drop off or pick up a bug needs to contact me in advance or make sure to come in during my shift & I will take custody/transfer TBs. icon_biggrin.gif

I doubt they would approve a human cache, as it were, which is another reason i guess we thought you were offering to (foolishly) use your locker as a drop spot. I can think of a few forum threads that have come up over the years along the lines of human caches, and i don't remember any of them getting approved. While the slogan here says "you are the search engine", I guess "you are not the cache", heheheheh.

As much as I am loving this new discussion I am thinking of starting a TB hotel on Hogs Island. Anyone from the PHL area think this would be a good place? I e mailed Miss Jenn, but haven't heard back yet.

"Democracy is the belief that 20,000 lemmings can't all be wrong."

Nevermind - I deleted my longer post. I'd just note that nobody with strong opinions here is a true authority, so use your own discretion. If people don't feel comfortable with the location of a cache - they'll pass on it. Place whatever you'd like!

I *really* like Harrald's tag line. Laa Dee Dah.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

[This message was edited by HartClimbs on July 11, 2003 at 08:47 AM.]

quote:
I doubt they would approve a human cache, as it were, which is another reason i guess we thought you were offering to (foolishly) use your locker as a drop spot. I can think of a few forum threads that have come up over the years along the lines of human caches, and i don't remember any of them getting approved. While the slogan here says "you are the search engine", I guess "you are not the cache", heheheheh.

Mopar,

True, but also notice the line "TB is in the hands of...." when u grab a travel bug. Caches don't have hands! hehe

OK, I posted my suggestion. I asked for & recvd input. I clarified myself. I even asked for a response from Admin which I haven't gotten. So.....

I'm going to post the TB Hotel cache using the airport's coords. If anyone wants to drop off a TB come & see me. Let's see how this works out....

Thanks, renyoldman.

I just travelled back through PHL this morning, but did not have a chance to even learn of Hog Island until just now. Perhaps next time I travel through there, I'll have an opportunity to find it - well, after having coffee with Mopar first.*

Airport caches (security issues aside) can be a new sort of fun in that they offer the cacher a dare: '' Do you dare search for this cache when your plane boards in just 32 more minutes? Will you be able to get back? Will your security search take longer the second time around? What if you miss some important announcements regarding your flight? '' That sort of distraction is fun while travelling - even if you decide not to go for it.

* assuming he has time for coffee these days with less free time on his hands and all.

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are you doing?

quote:

I'm going to post the TB Hotel cache using the airport's coords. If anyone wants to drop off a TB come & see me. Let's see how this works out....

Hiya Crusso,

Just curious (although I hardly ever use the airport you work in): did this cache get approved? What is its name?

-- I've found 58% of the caches in the country! How are you doing?

Still working on a cache that will be acceptable to TBTB yet allow me to grab TBs on the side as a TB hotel. Gotta come up with a good place close enough to the airport to put an actual cache at. Then I figure if anyone wants to pass on a TB they can contact me while hunting the real cache.

"Leaving Protected Zone: Demonstrate Personal Accountability Beyond This Point".

quote:

Still working on a cache that will be acceptable to TBTB yet allow me to grab TBs on the side as a TB hotel. Gotta come up with a good place close enough to the airport to put an actual cache at.

You know that jet on a pedestal? icon_wink.gif Think: air intake. No one would look too suspicious looking there. icon_wink.gif

Bassoon, Yea, that'd work.... icon_wink.gif Last week someone left a suitcase near there, along the fence, under the runway. They closed the runway & the cops blew the bag open with a water cannon. I could just see what would happen if someone was seen with a GPS in hand climbing up onto the plane! icon_eek.gif

"Leaving Protected Zone: Demonstrate Personal Accountability Beyond This Point".

quote:
Originally posted by jonboy:

You are offering to receive small items from people you don't know and hand them off to other people you don't know, assuming because they contacted you through geocaching.com, they are okay.

the alternative is to let the TB go thru regular screening, but under the new system, they'd be deemed a color code RED and therefore a terrorist because TB's generally don't have identification (and I dont think the TBID tag counts) they dont have an established history, or even any credit, and they generally would be buying their tickets the same day with cash and come without luggage.

The name is French. It is pronounced Poo-Pay, not like the silly childrens toy.

I have been thinking about this for a bit as well. I live within 15 minutes of JFK and would be more than will to take on this cache. The problem is that the neighborhoods near the airport aren't the greatest and hold great potential for muggling as well as cachers being muddles too!

I will keep my eyes open - I have thought about some sort of larger magnetic along the Belt - but I would have to find a good spot. This will definitely be a challenge to look into - glad others have considered it.

-Squealy

The end justifies the means.

Hey all, the Dodger has a great idea there. The logistics of moving those TB's great distances quickly are worth investigating.

I've got a great cache, not near an airport, but worth considering as a TB layover.

"Welcome to New York" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=106086

Located just south of Canadian border as you enter New York at a Interstate Rest Area. This is on the Southbound side of the primary travel corridor between Montreal-Albany-NYC - the gateway to the US from Quebec. Also, close to Ferry crossing to Vermont - major airport in Burlington. Best to drop off a bug if you want it to go South!

Cheers

i live near Newark Liberty airport. Not sure where I could put one Artful Dodger, but any suggestions would be fine. No AMMO cans! My caches have already met one bombsquad! I will have to think about the area. There is alot of construction there right now.

Avroair

TB Hotels are a good idea, I used one in Orlando to great effect!

Avroair, The Artful Dodger placed one.

Hey Brian, that cache is NO WHERE NEAR Newark, as I look at the logs and see you were the last, and I was the last before you! But it is a lovely spot and a good crossroads for people headed to other parts of the country by car.

The Orlando Travel Bug hotel is a hotbed for t-bugs, always seems to have at least 2-3 to choose from! I am sure the busiest airport in the US should have something near it. Any ideas Artful Dodger?