Bingo - Waymarks Posted

I've been a Waymarking hobbyist since 2005 and I just got my first Bingo for Waymarks posted! Couldn't have asked for a better X-max Gift. Woohoo, Hello 2015! Next milestone 2,500 waymarks and another medal to add to my collection!

Congratulations - but what is a Bingo?

I looked through the archives on this and can't find the history (maybe other long timers will be able to fill in the gaps) but for me, on your category grid, you need to fill in a 3x3 square. I've had very bad luck in getting to this stage. I think there were other combinations possible, like completing an entire row or column that would get you the bingo.

Bingo is whatever you want it to be. There is nothing official about any of it.

To the best of my recollection, it started out as completing an entire horizontal row on the grid. Closing in on 8,000 waymarks, and I've yet to do that, and am not real close.

If someone wants to work on a 3 X 3 or 4 X 4 block, that's fine too. Vertical rows would be a possiblity, too, but probably more challenging.

Filling in the calendar can also be a goal. Finally filled in the holes on mine this year, so at least one waymark posted for each calendar day.

What I really want to do is fill in the map! I have too many blank states, and, well, look at all those countries! I'm pretty sure I'll add at least one new one this year, but I'm not sure about states.

I've also been able to add a few categories to my "century club," categories with at least 100 waymarks. Looking to expand that list in the year to come.

One of the beauties of our hobby is that there are so many ways to play the game!

I vaguely remember bingo discussions in the old forum. Too bad it got accidentaly deleted, there was a lot of valuable information in there.

As SQ mentioned, everyone sets his own milestones; so congrats for this one.

Some of my personal milestones achieved last year were half of the grid and two new countries in the century club.

I was going through my posting stats for 2014... Somehow, I kept sneaking across the border to Missouri to do the bulk of my Waymarking. I'm surprised that the border police haven't stopped me, although, since I work in Missouri, I am a taxpayer... LOL. 496 of my almost 900 postings were in Missouri and I found these in 81 different categories - not bad.

It is really interesting how many different ways one can waymark. When I am in and around home base, I'm usually going after Historic District properties and any related waymarks. I go on vacation, and EVERYTHING seems to be fair game. It looks like I might just hit a century of postings for Mississippi with these Regiment Monuments. Of course, I LOVE to fill up other people's inboxes with visits when I can.

I looked through the archives on this and can't find the history (maybe other long timers will be able to fill in the gaps) but for me, on your category grid, you need to fill in a 3x3 square. I've had very bad luck in getting to this stage. I think there were other combinations possible, like completing an entire row or column that would get you the bingo.

oh ok - I need to find either a Japenese Restaurant or a Megachurch to get my first 3x3 grid.

I think they're surprisingly difficult to achieve because of the categories that are specific to one country. For the same reason I don't think I'll ever get a complete line, but maybe one day.

Overall 2014 was interesting for me - finally got a waymark in all departments, achieved 100 waymarks in 2 new categories, waymarked in 64 new categories and 3 new countries.

I'm looking forward to seeing many more interesting waymarks in 2015.

As of this very minute we have posted 16,381 waymarks and it took us 834 grid icons to earn our first bingo (one full line across) today.

We posted our first waymark on July 22, 2012, it only took us 1,565 days or 4 years, 3 months, 12 days to earn this first bingo.

And believe it or not, our second one came to pass just a couple of days later.

Edited by BK-Hunters

As of this very minute we have posted 16,381 waymarks and it took us 834 grid icons to earn our first bingo (one full line across) today.

We posted our first waymark on July 22, 2012, it only took us 1,565 days or 4 years, 3 months, 12 days to earn this first bingo.

And believe it or not, our second one came to pass just a couple of days later.

...and now I see three horizontal and two vertical bingo lines of twenty icons.

...and now I see three horizontal and two vertical bingo lines of twenty icons.

WOW - that Elyob fella is observant!! I didn't even notice the third one. Prolly because, like the second one, I wasn't expecting it. It was the Remote Backcountry Shelter that did that one. I'm glad of that, as it was a much longer hike than I remembered to get into it (just for that one waymark!).

Waymarkers, on the whole, have to be silly people. I, for one, would only have done that hike for a new category. Getting a Bingo, as well... just a happy accident.

5 minutes ago, PISA-caching said:

Out of curiousity: Does that refer to the category grid of posted AND visited waymarks (or just one of the two)? If I find or post a "Mountain Bike Trailhead" I will have my first 3x3 Bingo. For a complete horizontal line I need at least another 5 (not so easy) categories.

Both posts and visits, I do both on my Waymarking adventures.

I hadn't looked at our grid for quite awhile - we're up to 5 horizontal and 5 vertical.

Just to put this in perspective... ...

That's a drop in the bucket compared to Marine Biologist. They have 1107 of 1115 categories. I'm not even going to try counting their Bingos. Let's just say that there's OODLES of them. I'm talking Posted, not Combined!!!

Keith

On 1/1/2015 at 12:24 PM, RakeInTheCache said:

I don't know where all of you play Bingo, but around here a Bingo card has a 5x5 square, and they play a game called "Blackout" where you have to get all 25 numbers. That's what I think of when I see this. And I could get one (top left corner at grid 42N with only 4 more waymarks, 3 of which are readily available.