Removing friends

TheBignells

What happens when I remove a "friend" from my profile? Do they get notified of the removal or does it just disappear?

Want to try it? Add me as a friend, then remove me. Tell you what, I'll add you, then remove you.

Just remembered, I had friends blocked because I was getting too many requests from forum participants. It's changed now.

Edited by NanCycle

Well, with thanks to GreyHawk613 and NanCycle, I have my answer.

The user "removing a friend" gets an "are you sure" message and then the removed friend disappears from your profile. The ex-friend just looses you without any notification at all.

So, if you no longer wish to have certain friends on your profile, you can delete them stealthily and you will be relying on them noticing that you have gone!

If you don't want them as friends why do you care of they know!

To avoid bad vibes?

I'm not sure what the friends list actally does on this site, but if I ask, two things may happen: (1) Keystone might tell me i'm off topic, and (2) Pup Patrol will provide a link to the Help Center (which sounds like too much work on New Year's Day). :P

So I won't ask. :ph34r:

To avoid bad vibes?

I'm not sure what the friends list actally does on this site, but if I ask, two things may happen: (1) Keystone might tell me i'm off topic, and (2) Pup Patrol will provide a link to the Help Center (which sounds like too much work on New Year's Day). :P

Far as I know all it does is provide a quick and easy link to their profile.

To avoid bad vibes?

Can't ignore that bell.

Help Center isn't much help, though, when it comes to the nitty-gritty details.

Help Center → My Account → My Account and Profile → Friends List

2.8. Friends List - Adding a Friend

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=590

Help Center → My Account → My Account and Profile → Friends List

2.9. Friends List - How Your Friend Can Accept Your Request

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=107

The friend's list is just a quick way to access people's profiles. Nothing more has been done with it, and I don't think there's any plans to improve its functionality.

One can always check the box in their profile that will block friend requests.

B.

The friend's list is just a quick way to access people's profiles. Nothing more has been done with it, and I don't think there's any plans to improve its functionality.

There is one other thing it's used for: the logbook on cache listing pages. If you click "View Logbook" at the top of the log section on a listing page, one of the tabs is "Your Friends' Logs". This is a quick way to see if a friend has logged a cache or not, which of your friends has logged a "Will attend" for an upcoming event, etc., without having to scroll through the list of logs.

Now, this didn't happen to me, but I SWEAR it happened to a guy I know.

A few weeks ago, this guy deleted a fellow cacher, Joe, from his Friend List.

After that, no one saw Joe for about two weeks.

One evening, a bunch of us were sitting around at the local cache bar, playing "First to Fall". (I won! Cast comes off tomorrow.)

Somebody remarked that they hadn't spoken to Joe in a while, and everybody agreed that he seemed to be M.I.A.

Very unusual - we checked his logs, and sure enough, there had been no recent activity. Also very unusual.

From my triumphant position at the foot of my barstool, I jokingly said, "Hey, why dontcha put 'im back on your Friend List!"

Everybody laughed, of course, but then, one at a time everybody got quiet, then thoughful.

The guy with the Friend List logged on to the site with his phone, and slowly, deliberately, added Joe back to his list. (Remember, we had been drinking, and everyone's sense of reason was a little, um, 'muggled'.)

We all watched breathlessly, licking our lips, sweat on our palms, (remember, drinking!) until he put down his phone.

I don't know what the heck we expected to happen, but embarrassed, (not drinking THAT much) we all laughed nervously, trying to figure out how to NOT look like a moron when the story got told later.

All of a sudden, BAM! The door slammed open - "HELLLOOOOOO, LOSERS!" shouted Joe. He looked at me laying on the floor. "You won? Cool - how many did it take?"

Now, I'm not sayin' that I'm sayin' what it looks like I'm sayin', but you have to admit, it's a little weird.

We all just looked at him for a couple seconds, then I threw up on his shoes.