Help with Vista cx

Raym59

I have recently bought a used garmin vista cx (no instructions )but still managed to find my first geocache today by loading the gps co-ords from this site. My problem is I have been trying to load the free Talky toast maps without any luck .I loaded them onto pc but when trying to open them it keeps saying file corrupted. I don't think the etrex has any maps loaded . Any advice on maps to purchase or for free would be great

Thanks in advance

Edited by Raym59

Here is a downloadable manual: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/eTrexVistaCx_OwnersManual.pdf

Need to know more about how you are loading the maps.

The unit has an SD card slot. Do you have an SD card inserted?

Loading the maps onto an SD card?

If not, you really should. This is recommended as some maps take a lot of space!

I loaded them onto pc but when trying to open them it keeps saying file corrupted.

Does this mean that you are trying to open the maps in the computer, or in the Vista itself?

Instructions from TalkyToaster FAQ pages : http://talkytoaster.co.uk/free-uk-maps-faq.htm

3. How do I install the map on my GPSr?

Simply download the file you are interested in [which is a zip file], unzip it, and save the unzipped file as GMAPSUPP.IMG and then upload it to your Garmin [make sure you have sufficient storage space first]. If you don't have a program to handle/unzip ZIP files I would recommend 7Zip which is available FREE from here: http://www.7-zip.org/.

If you don't see the .IMG extension on the files don't worry as Windows or Mac OSes hide all or some extensions by default; don't add the .IMG extension yourself as it will stop the Garmin GPSr from loading the files.

the file you download from Talky's site is a .zip file, you need to unzip that and extract the map which will be a .img file. you then need to rename the .img file to gmapsupp.img, plug the Vista into your PC and when it connects the USB drive copy gmapsupp.img into the Garmin folder on the drive. You may well need to have a microSD card in the GPS as the maps are so large and probably won't fit onto the units internal storage, if you buy a new microSD card you will need to create a folder named Garmin and copy the map into that folder.

If you're getting the "file corrupted" error when unzipping the .zip file then delete it and download it again.

Thanks for the advice and owners manual link .I have tried downloading the maps again but they are still coming up cant open "image corrupted " .

when trying to open them on pc or sd card . I am running windows 8 if that makes any difference.

Thanks again in advance

Thanks for the advice and owners manual link .I have tried downloading the maps again but they are still coming up cant open "image corrupted " .

when trying to open them on pc or sd card . I am running windows 8 if that makes any difference.

Thanks again in advance

That's because the file has a type of .img so Windows thinks it's a picture and will try to open it as such, but it isn't a picture so don't try and open the .img file on your computer, just copy it straight onto the Vista (you should be able to drag and drop it).

Once you have the map loaded don't forget to select it from the set up menu or it will not show

without sounding a real dummy how do you select the map from set up menu . I have looked at instructions but to no avail

I don't think that option is available for the Vista, it can only have one map and the map file must be called gmapsupp.img. Newer models will allow you to have several maps, all with different names, and there is an option to choose which one you want to view.

The hcx version which is my back up gps does, I thought the cx did as well though I may well be wrong. Look to see if you have the following under set up,map and then the letter i which is in a circle.

In that case it's probably me that's wrong as I was going from memory, I had an hcx too but lost it a couple of years ago.