Suggestion for Photos of "Small" Things

MountainWoods

I just mentioned this to someone when accepting their homemade tombstone Waymark.

When Waymarking "small" things (I know the term is relative, but I think you'll understand), I think it is a good idea to include one or two photos that show the thing/place in relation to surrounding context. I do this with homemade tombstones and headstones of centenarians and survey markers (various types), and a few other things I can't think of just now.

Your coordinates and the potential future visitor's coordinates may differ by quite a bit. There have been times that I went to a cemetery and have not been able to find the homemade tombstone because of coordinate differences. A photo of the marker (or whatever) itself may help; but consider markers that are flat to the ground with dozens or hundreds of other markers around; or some other Waymarkable thing that fits too well into its background.

In the case of a headstone (whether flat to the ground or not!) a context photo, perhaps taken close the ground, showing the headstone with some context beyond it can help a lot. One might be able to see the relationship between the headstone and some outbuilding (e.g. maintenance shed) or lane or the cemetery entrance or whatever. You can see where I did this with several centenarian headstones recently:

WMN465

WMN46R

WMN46N

WMN462

and so on.

Again, with other Waymarkable things that might be difficult to locate, such as survey markers or whatever. Obviously "big" things like a cemetery itself or a minigolf course is a different story.

I just mentioned this to someone when accepting their homemade tombstone Waymark.

When Waymarking "small" things (I know the term is relative, but I think you'll understand), I think it is a good idea to include one or two photos that show the thing/place in relation to surrounding context. I do this with homemade tombstones and headstones of centenarians and survey markers (various types), and a few other things I can't think of just now.

Your coordinates and the potential future visitor's coordinates may differ by quite a bit. There have been times that I went to a cemetery and have not been able to find the homemade tombstone because of coordinate differences. A photo of the marker (or whatever) itself may help; but consider markers that are flat to the ground with dozens or hundreds of other markers around; or some other Waymarkable thing that fits too well into its background.

In the case of a headstone (whether flat to the ground or not!) a context photo, perhaps taken close the ground, showing the headstone with some context beyond it can help a lot. One might be able to see the relationship between the headstone and some outbuilding (e.g. maintenance shed) or lane or the cemetery entrance or whatever. You can see where I did this with several centenarian headstones recently:

WMN465

WMN46R

WMN46N

WMN462

and so on.

Again, with other Waymarkable things that might be difficult to locate, such as survey markers or whatever. Obviously "big" things like a cemetery itself or a minigolf course is a different story.

Very good idea - also, for cemeteries, one might consider putting in the section name in the long description, if available, is a great help. (or just leaving ALL the midwest cemetery waymarks to ME to post! hehehe)

No way, Jose. That's my biggest category: Worldwide Cemeteries. I love to haunt 'em.

I've noticed that some FindAGrave entries have location hints, such as row or whatever. Good idea to include them if they are somehow marked. The cemeteries that I've been to don't have much in row markers. I think the Sarcoxie one did, but I wasn't sure how you specify them. Seems it's different for each cemetery. Guess I should look for them a bit more next time.

For waymarks in general, I am in favor of at least two required photos - a close-up view and an overview. Without the wider angle, it is difficult to get a perspective of the object, building or site. It is not difficult to add that second photo. The close-up is necessary to appreciate some detail.

This is especially true, as you point out, with small object such as signs and head stones, not only to aid in location, but just to appreciate the surroundings. For any cemetery category, I also try to include a photo of the cemetery entrance and/or sign. It is just part of giving the best overall presentation of what we are Waymarking.

Yep, I've run into this while visiting other people's Waymarks in my area. Some of them had been - to put it politely - a bit less diligent in getting accurate coordinates. :laughing: For some survey markers, I was able to use their wider-angle photos to find the right spot (and submitted coordinate corrections afterward!). However, there have been a few that only had close-ups, and I've been unable to locate them. It's hard to say if I'm in the right spot and the marker is gone, or if the coordinates are just off.

I've forgotten on a few of my own Waymarks, but I try to always take several photos from different angles and distances, both to help indicate where the item is and to show its environment.