Downloading Geocaches to GPSMAP 62stc

TheGeoZodiac

Although I've been caching since 2007, I have never downloaded caches to my GPS device, so this feature is still very new to me. I have a few questions.

1.) With my GPSMAP 62stc, if I download several caches, will they automatically arrange themselves according to nearest distance, or will I have to continually scroll to find the next nearest one to me?

2.) Also, what is the difference between a pocket query and simply individually downloading caches along the route I want to travel on to my GPS device? I was reading this page: http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=53 but I still am not exactly clear about what the benefits of a pocket query are.

3.) I just ordered a new USB cable for my GPS device since I could not find my original one. This, along with the communicator plugin installed, should be all I need to download caches, correct? Do I need anything else?

Thanks for the patience and responses in advance.

1. They can be shown as Nearest or Name... *If they are over a certain distance, they WONT show under nearest!

2. A Pocket Query will allow you to load up to 1,000 caches at once.

3. Depends on your web browser. Use Internet Explorer? You may need to enable 'Compatibility Mode' in order for things to work!

http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?pg=kb.page&id=117

2.1. An Introduction to Pocket Queries

Pocket Queries are custom geocache queries you can create and download on a daily or weekly basis. If you are interested in hunting only specific types of geocaches with specific attributes, this is how you can search for them. For example: You are only interested in traditional geocaches that are dog-friendly, with an easy terrain and difficulty.

A Pocket Query makes it easy to search by geocache type, size, difficulty, location, conditions and more.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily looking to sort them by distance to my home, but more so by distance from whatever location I happen to be at when viewing the list, such as when leaving a cache site to go to the next nearest one to my location at that time.

I appreciate the responses so far.

Also, I use Chrome for my browser.

Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily looking to sort them by distance to my home, but more so by distance from whatever location I happen to be at when viewing the list, such as when leaving a cache site to go to the next nearest one to my location at that time.

I appreciate the responses so far.

Also, I use Chrome for my browser.

If you choose them to show near to far, it will be in relation to where the unit is, not your home location.

You can select to have them show by distance or name (Cache ID#).

1. They can be shown as Nearest or Name... *If they are over a certain distance, they WONT show under nearest!

That only applies to the Oregon 600 and the GPSMAP 64.

It was this way on my eTrex 30, too. Not even name search would work over a certain distance. And there was no option to sort by name, only by nearest distance.