America's Favorite

colleda

Just for fun I am planning a cache with the above (topic) title.

LPCs are rare in OZ. You see, our LPs don't have skirts. But, I'm not going to let that stop me. I've found one that has space under its base.

I'm looking to the forum for ways of describing this cache for potential finders.

It will be a LPC 1/1.5

Container is an Altoids tin. We don't have these in Oz but I managed to buy one on a recent Princess cruise.

It will be in a shopping centre public car park.

I'd like Oz cachers to experience the fun of these types of hides that y'all enjoy so much (remove tongue from cheek).

You didn't ask, but Altoids tins aren't very waterproof.... :unsure:

Yep, knew that. The tin won't be completely exposed to weather. I have painted the bottom half of the tin black and clear coated the lid so that finders can see that is an Altoids, and this will also slow the rusting process. Log will be in plastic bag and in it's in a spot where we visit regularly so I can keep an eye on its condition. We'll be in the US in March so I'll be able to grab some spares if needed.

I'd call it "Yankee Skirt Lifter". Australians may think the cache is risque, but Americans will know that it is anything but.

Only Yankees lift skirts? :o:P

To foreigners, a Yankee is an American.

To Americans, a Yankee is a Northerner.

To Northerners, a Yankee is an Easterner.

To Easterners, a Yankee is a New Englander.

To New Englanders, a Yankee is a Vermonter.

And in Vermont, a Yankee is somebody who eats pie for breakfast.

(attributed to E. B. White)

I'd call it "Yankee Skirt Lifter". Australians may think the cache is risque, but Americans will know that it is anything but.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In Oz Yankee = Seppo.

No skirts to lift here. Why do your LPs have skirts? Are you guys a bit bashfull about having your nuts and bolts on display? Why not LP trousers?

Needing more input. How would you go about describing an LPC so that it sounds like the greatest cache type ever devised (I think there's a line there)? Where ar all the humorists?

There's a couple of hint suggestions, I may use all of them. A list of hints maybe, after all its a D1.

There's a couple of hint suggestions, I may use all of them. A list of hints maybe, after all its a D1.

I was thinking the same thing, since you plan on rating it a D1. In North America, a D1 rating probably makes sense, but if most of your seekers have never encountered an LPC before, it might not be such an easy find. I logged a few DNFs on LPCs before I figured out where to look.

Edit to add: Oops. I thought you had found a lamppost with a skirt. Never mind.

Edited by CanadianRockies

Why not go that extra mile and build a skirt for it, so that Australian geocachers get the full American geocaching experience? :)

I have been thinking along those lines. I'm not the best at metal working but have had some experience. I'm more the type, measure twice cut three times, so it would be a challenge.

Why not go that extra mile and build a skirt for it, so that Australian geocachers get the full American geocaching experience? :)

I have been thinking along those lines. I'm not the best at metal working but have had some experience. I'm more the type, measure twice cut three times, so it would be a challenge.

DANG BOARD ... measured it three times, cut it four times and it is STILL TOO SHORT

And to a Bostonian, a Yankee is a person who, well, to maintain a level of decency, wears a pin-striped uniform :yikes:

And to a Bostonian, a Yankee is a person who, well, to maintain a level of decency, wears a pin-striped uniform :yikes:

Bahahhaha, that was a pretty great addition to something I thought couldn't get any funnier! Gold star for you. :laughing:

I found a cache in Seattle where someone had constructed a lamp post skirt out of wood. It was a bit larger than a real lamppost skirt and obviously not part of the original construction so it was the first place I looked at GZ. It just wasn't the same without that lovely metal-on-metal screech sound we all enjoy when lifting a real skirt.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

You didn't ask, but Altoids tins aren't very waterproof.... :unsure:

Yep, knew that. The tin won't be completely exposed to weather. I have painted the bottom half of the tin black and clear coated the lid so that finders can see that is an Altoids, and this will also slow the rusting process. Log will be in plastic bag and in it's in a spot where we visit regularly so I can keep an eye on its condition. We'll be in the US in March so I'll be able to grab some spares if needed.

One of the best like this that I've seen, was a bison tube in piece of beehive then slide under the pole. A large group spent over ten minutes looking before I finally braved the beehive to see if it was behind it.

Make sure your lamp post has a terrible paint job. Before I got a grown-up GPSr, I was using an auto one which got me in the general area, and with LPCs, once I figured out how they worked (accidentally when I bumped a base once!) I would just look around to see which lamp post had scrapes and scratches from the skirt being lifted.

Not sure how this would work, but you might be able to add a "skirt" that looks like some commonly found (here in America, at least) trash... a plastic bag fixed to it or some such.

Are cachers in your area commonly familiar with LPCs? You could even use the acronym in your description - Lovely Perfect Cache just waiting to be found!

I beg you, I plead with you... don't do it!! Caches like that breed more caches like that. Think of the example you're setting. Hide better caches, not worse caches!

I understand your sentiment but lame caches are fairly rare around here. We do not have saturation problems either. There are a few guard rail caches but these are relatively rare. I'm hoping that the way we have done this one will highlight how not to hide a cache and hoping that finders will be intelligent enough to recognise it for what it is - a little bit of fun, although perhaps at the expense of our US cousins. :D :D

I beg you, I plead with you... don't do it!! Caches like that breed more caches like that. Think of the example you're setting. Hide better caches, not worse caches!

I understand your sentiment but lame caches are fairly rare around here. We do not have saturation problems either. There are a few guard rail caches but these are relatively rare. I'm hoping that the way we have done this one will highlight how not to hide a cache and hoping that finders will be intelligent enough to recognise it for what it is - a little bit of fun, although perhaps at the expense of our US cousins. :D :D

You say that now... When LPCs were first coming around out here, I bet many would have awarded them a Favorite Point...just because they were new, "unique", and caused most to scratch their head while they rested their hand on the hide location.

Next thing you know, everyone thought it was a good idea, and an easy and fun way to hide a cache. Then along came more and more of them in every single parking lot, along greenways...and on and on. Most still think, after finding their first, "Wow, that's a simple, plain-sight location I hadn't thought of before! I should hide a few of these so I can help others have the same feeling as I when I first lifted that lamp's skirt!"

We love to share ideas that appear, at first, to be a good idea. Next thing you know you've given your community a smallpox blanket, and the unmaintained urban drivel that is a LPC become a large percentage of any cache hidden in an urban setting. Bo-ring...and quite honestly not usually placed with proper permission from anyone.

I suppose if you frame it as a joke at the expense of we "Yankees", it might not become an epidemic cache spread. Frame it as a totally boring, lame, overdone cache--that generally also doesn't have permission, and you might keep others from joining in the madness. Meaning, I'd be sure to be VERY explicit that you have obtained permission for the hide (and that you have actually received said permission), and that it really is a "no redeeming value" cache.

Edit to add: I think that one of my favorite hints I gave for a LPC (that I've since adopted out) was "If this hide location were a lady, it would likely be offended..." A bit off-color, but still gave some good laughs in the logs and in person.

Edited by NeverSummer

I don't understand what the fuss is about regarding these types of caches?

You can just ignore them and do the style of caching that you like.

This world is full of very different people and so there are styles to suit everyone.

I have seen children caching on their own. They cannot travel to country or difficult locations.

This gives them a chance to cache at their standard in their neighbourhood.

What's the fuss? It the in thing around here to dis LPC's - no matter that they are just one style of cache, one that the first few times are quite good/interesting. But if it's "boring" (seen more than once or twice) it's "bad". So let the loud anti-LPC crowd have their 'fits' about them and enjoy the cache hunts you like.

I don't know that there's a "fuss" of "anti-LPC" happening. It's just that there are also so many other fun ways to hide in an urban setting, it almost becomes a bit too rote when you arrive at GZ and notice that there's a light pole at where GZ is indicated...

Innovation is fun, and LPCs are "new" to everyone at some point. For me I'm just happy for another smiley, while I might lament that it wasn't a new or different take on an urban cache hide.

I've also noticed that LPCs come and go. There really aren't that many that I encounter anymore, and even when I was in a very populated area like Olympia, WA I didn't see that many even pop up on my GPSr or PQs. So...yeah. It's all relative.

You say that now... When LPCs were first coming around out here, I bet many would have awarded them a Favorite Point...just because they were new, "unique", and caused most to scratch their head while they rested their hand on the hide location.

Next thing you know, everyone thought it was a good idea, and an easy and fun way to hide a cache. Then along came more and more of them in every single parking lot, along greenways...and on and on. Most still think, after finding their first, "Wow, that's a simple, plain-sight location I hadn't thought of before! I should hide a few of these so I can help others have the same feeling as I when I first lifted that lamp's skirt!"

We love to share ideas that appear, at first, to be a good idea. Next thing you know you've given your community a smallpox blanket, and the unmaintained urban drivel that is a LPC become a large percentage of any cache hidden in an urban setting. Bo-ring...and quite honestly not usually placed with proper permission from anyone.

I suppose if you frame it as a joke at the expense of we "Yankees", it might not become an epidemic cache spread. Frame it as a totally boring, lame, overdone cache--that generally also doesn't have permission, and you might keep others from joining in the madness. Meaning, I'd be sure to be VERY explicit that you have obtained permission for the hide (and that you have actually received said permission), and that it really is a "no redeeming value" cache.

Edit to add: I think that one of my favorite hints I gave for a LPC (that I've since adopted out) was "If this hide location were a lady, it would likely be offended..." A bit off-color, but still gave some good laughs in the logs and in person.

NS has a point Colleda.....you're in Australia, there's bound to be an epidemic spread. Look what happened to rabbits and cane toads when they were introduced.

It's unlikely there will be a rash of these because, as pointed out in a previous post, LPCs here don't have skirts. Not even this one, its actually under the base.

It's unlikely there will be a rash of these because, as pointed out in a previous post, LPCs here don't have skirts. Not even this one, its actually under the base.

i-feel-sheepish.jpg?w=584

:anicute:

i-feel-sheepish.jpg?w=584

:anicute:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by colleda

We need to find someone here who works in construction or electrical and can send Colleda a skirt for the lamp post. If there is going to be a terrible cache in Australia, we might as well help make it as crappy as possible. Of course it will be tough finding one that fits perfectly due to fact that they converted to the metric system 30+ years ago.

We need to find someone here who works in construction or electrical and can send Colleda a skirt for the lamp post. If there is going to be a terrible cache in Australia, we might as well help make it as crappy as possible. Of course it will be tough finding one that fits perfectly due to fact that they converted to the metric system 30+ years ago.

With some simple tools (tin snips and a pop riveter) and a sheet of aluminum you can make your own custom fit skirt. Some caching friends did just that to create a lamp skirt for a tree out in the middle of the woods.

How would you go about describing an LPC so that it sounds like the greatest cache type ever devised (I think there's a line there)?

That's quite the challenge you're presenting us with! You're asking us to improve something inherently bad. :laughing:

I guess there's only one way to do it:

Lie.

Oh...but you can!

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/videos/polishing-a-turd-minimyth/

Edited by J Grouchy