Thrill Of The Find

Chazbo1948

Howdy and Happy 2015 to all. I'm fairly new to the geocaching sport. Haven't found too many but do enjoy it when I do. I hear many complaining about lousy/cheap swag in the caches they find. I realize that the kids are the ones that really dig finding cool stuff but as an adult I really don't care. I just like the hunt and finding the cache. I really like it when there is a nice size log book and writing instrument inside. I always try to carry a pen but do forget sometimes. Nothing worse than hunting long and hard only to find a soggy log book with no more spaces left to sign! I just like to leave my little mark to show that I've actually been there. I leave the swag for the kids. Happy Trails to you in 2015!!!

Howdy and Happy 2015 to all.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it still 2014 in every time zone?

...or is there a time zone somewhere that's somehow 58 hours ahead of mine? :laughing:

For the swag I put in my caches, I try to do the impossible and attempt to please everyone. I'll put some kids stuff in there, but also some items that an adult might appreciate. It usually isn't very expensive (hey, soldiers of fortune living in the Los Angeles underground aren't rolling in money!), but I try to avoid junk that nobody would enjoy. Something I often put in are inexpensive LED flashlights, which can be useful for all ages.

Howdy and Happy 2015 to all. I'm fairly new to the geocaching sport. Haven't found too many but do enjoy it when I do. I hear many complaining about lousy/cheap swag in the caches they find. I realize that the kids are the ones that really dig finding cool stuff but as an adult I really don't care. I just like the hunt and finding the cache. I really like it when there is a nice size log book and writing instrument inside. I always try to carry a pen but do forget sometimes. Nothing worse than hunting long and hard only to find a soggy log book with no more spaces left to sign! I just like to leave my little mark to show that I've actually been there. I leave the swag for the kids. Happy Trails to you in 2015!!!

I can tell you that the kids do love it. I Geocache with my wife and three boys most of the times. They LOVE finding the little toys and items in the caches. I rarely take anything. So I can echo what you said about the thrill for me is finding it.

I ALWAYS take my bag of swag with me (I have 4 bags, two gallons and two quarts) and 90% of the time I will leave items even if we don't take anything.

I have one gallon bag of cheap little toys/items, one gallon of better items (but still cheap), one quart of good items (1-3 bucks each item), and I have one quart with the best items (coins or items that are 5+ dollars each). So far I have only had to break open the best bag once, haha.

Always remember! Trade up! Even if 20% of Geocachers did that we would not be even having this conversation.

Edited by MersonMonkeys

The thrill of the find is important, but the reveal is also important. Even if I don't trade for anything in a cache, I'd much prefer a full cache as opposed to an empty one. One time I found a cache full of super balls. I didn't want any superballs, but when I opened it the various colors created a small sensory overload.

One day you will find something in a cache that you actually want. It could be a cool keychain that you will want to make a TB out of or it might be something associated with your favorite sports team. Regardless, you won't want to make a trip back to your car to get swag, so always take some with you just in case.