Game Piece Maybe Too Dangerous

DamOTclese

Many years ago I placed the "Never Find The Body" game piece, and I marked it at 4.5 in Terrain because it heads across the North Fork of the San Gabriel River and then it heads up a very steep ravine which is fairly dangerous, not recommended for children.

Recently I marked it with 15 attributes underscoring the potential dangers.

QUESTION: Are there general guidelines for designating Terrain difficulty? What constitutes 1 star? What constitutes 5 stars? From what I've been able to find, every game placer basically decides what the Terrain difficulty is based upon their own opinions, I don't see any basic guidelines for codifying how best to alert people about potential hazards bagging a game piece other than in the entry's text.

Are there any general guidelines published anywhere?

Many years ago I placed the "Never Find The Body" game piece, and I marked it at 4.5 in Terrain because it heads across the North Fork of the San Gabriel River and then it heads up a very steep ravine which is fairly dangerous, not recommended for children.

QUESTION: Are there general guidelines for designating Terrain difficulty? What constitutes 1 star? What constitutes 5 stars? From what I've been able to find, every game placer basically decides what the Terrain difficulty is based upon their own opinions, I don't see any basic guidelines for codifying how best to alert people about potential hazards bagging a game piece other than in the entry's text.

Yes, someone will have the link. I think T 4.5 means very tough, but no special equipment needed, and 5.0 means special equipment is needed (scuba, climbing ropes, etc.).

As for danger, remember that cachers are supposed to use their brains and pick caches that appeal to them and they are comfortable finding.

I like to point out this series when folks comment geocaching can be dangerous. It certainly can be dangerous, but correctly rated difficulty and terrain goes a long way.

^This

Especially with potentially dangerous caches, make sure you give prospective seekers the necessary information so they can make an informed decision whether they're able/willing to seek it out. This includes the D/T ratings, attributes, and any necessary additional warnings in the description. You don't need to spell everything out in great detail, but people need to know what they're getting into.

As for danger, remember that cachers are supposed to use their brains and pick caches that appeal to them and they are comfortable finding.

I like to point out this series when folks comment geocaching can be dangerous. It certainly can be dangerous, but correctly rated difficulty and terrain goes a long way.

^This

Especially with potentially dangerous caches, make sure you give prospective seekers the necessary information so they can make an informed decision whether they're able/willing to seek it out. This includes the D/T ratings, attributes, and any necessary additional warnings in the description. You don't need to spell everything out in great detail, but people need to know what they're getting into.

I also like to point out that while this game can be family friendly, not all caches/cache locations are safe/appropriate for all family members.

Interesting that you brought this cache up...I just bookmarked it a week or so ago and plan on giving it a go sometime this winter.

Cheers

Cachers should know when to call it quits. With that said, make sure cachers know if night time is not advised (I had a 9 mo sprain for grabbing a T2 at night next to a river bank that I never knew was there. Also, it's a good idea to note if the T rating is due to GZ or getting to GZ. My senses pick-up the closer I get to GZ (the climb etc.).

+1

Headed to one today that by a landowner's own map (park-placed hides) shows, "primitive stream crossing", with no other mention what "primitive" may entail.

Two before me both mentioned the cold temps and crossing the knee-deep creek bare foot where the creek divides the trail.

- I took the cable bridge 200' upstream. :laughing:

They got the last laugh though. I didn't find it.

^This

I also like to point out that while this game can be family friendly, not all caches/cache locations are safe/appropriate for all family members.

There's quite a long description of the dangers of the cache on one of those links. From a true 5/5:

If your waist size is size 36 or over, you will not be able to complete stage one, and you should not even enter the narrow underground crevasse or you will likely become stuck. Do not attempt this series if you dislike or wish to avoid water, mud, rats, spiders, insects, microbes, snakes, fungal growths, thorns, poison ivy, or strong odors, or if you are not a skilled climber and caver.

Interesting that you brought this cache up...I just bookmarked it a week or so ago and plan on giving it a go sometime this winter.

Cheers

I just bookmarked it as well. Hard to say if I'll ever be in the area, but it's a cache I'd love to attempt if I am.