Earth cache Owner Rant!

Loony Londo

I get it all the time. I am fairly lenient about the time frame, usually giving 48 hours or so before emailing them requesting the answers. Sometimes they never respond and I delete the logs. Usually they respond quickly. A few times, I have had cachers have the gall to say they did send the answers, even though I got nothing, LOL. At least one said they weren't sending the answers again, saying it wasn't their problem. I think they were just armchairing, LOL...

We usually give them about a week and then send a reminder. As our ECs are rather at the end of the world we don't get many logs though. Got nothing in the last few days either, thus we can't comment.

Edit: are those experienced cachers or inexperienced ones?

Edited by terratin

Meh, just one of the minor nuisances that comes with the territory. Tends to increase around holidays when people have time to geocache, or when Groundspeak offers incentives for people finding Earthcaches. Send the slackers a reminder and delete the logs after a couple of days if you don't hear back.

Let me guess. The common denominator is that they are new at geocaching, or at least at earthcaching. And since most of your ECs are within the same general area, you're seeing the same mistakes made over and over.

Have you:

- Explained up front what an earthcache is and how it's different from a physical geocache?

- Explained that logs without emails will be deleted?

That tends to prevent the situation. Check any of our earthcaches for examples. I have boiled down explaining how earthcaches work to a couple sentences, it's not hard.

What's the saying? An ounce of prevention...something something.

Have you:

- Explained up front what an earthcache is and how it's different from a physical geocache?

- Explained that logs without emails will be deleted?

I can't speak for anyone else but both of those points are pretty plain on my Earthcache pages...you have to answer the questions and email them to me or your logs will be deleted. It's not hard and I certainly should not have to explain things. Read the cache page. Them not reading the cache page is no excuse for not following directions.

I get them too - I even get DNF's on my ECs from time to time :blink:

I've DNFed a few EarthCaches! One was listed as a 1 terrain, but the walk was about a mile each way. My sister was not up to that. The other required climbing 300' up a pile of coal tailings. With no pathway. Too hot for me that day.

One of mine got a DNF because the site was flooded and underwater at the time. I really enjoyed the photo uploads that were posted. B)

The first time I had a DNF on an earthcache featuring a fossil I thought some one had hacked of fthe fossil. I rushed tothe site but the fossil was still there. A few months ago some one stole in full view of CCTV cameras a historic bronze plaque nearby so I suppose it is always possible some one will steal the fossil!

I've DNFed a few EarthCaches! One was listed as a 1 terrain, but the walk was about a mile each way. My sister was not up to that. The other required climbing 300' up a pile of coal tailings. With no pathway. Too hot for me that day.

Haha. I logged an EC once that had a DNF logged previously. The DNF stated: 'Looked and looked but nothing was there. It may be missing." I'll let you guess how many finds the cacher had...

We did log a DNF on an EarthCache before after some discussion as the access to the site was blocked. We could see the feature, but could not answer the questions properly. We came back another time.

We did log a DNF on an EarthCache before after some discussion as the access to the site was blocked. We could see the feature, but could not answer the questions properly. We came back another time.

I can understand that completely. The instance I was referring to involved a cacher with fewer than 10 finds. It seemed to me that they thought they were looking for a container. I don't think they realized the difference b/t an EC and a Traditional, and it was pretty obvious they hadn't read the cache page.

I can understand that completely. The instance I was referring to involved a cacher with fewer than 10 finds. It seemed to me that they thought they were looking for a container. I don't think they realized the difference b/t an EC and a Traditional, and it was pretty obvious they hadn't read the cache page.

I made a similar mistake a few years ago, and recently did the same with a Wherigo. All I had was a GC code and coordinates, easy mistake. :lol:

Maybe I'm new to this hobby. But what in the world would drive someone to geocache from their couch. I see statement so often and it doesn't make much sense to me.

Beats me, really. Those people seem to have a reason. Having the biggests stats probably, who knows...

We just deleted a log from one of our ECs as the cacher send us the text we usually send as reply and posted a photo with his log that he'd taken off the web. :blink: He'd done the same with a pile of other ECs around the world and I hope that other COs noticed as well.