Logging a cache with a date other than today's date

solid-rock-seekers

We started geocaching over 10 years ago but haven't done much caching lately. Due to other commitments, we've also fallen way behind on our online logging of caches. We have about a dozen caches that we found back in September 2014 that we finally had time to try to start logging today.

However, when making the online log for our find just now, (http://coord.info/GLGBTA5X) even though I set the "Date Logged:" back to 9/4/2014 when logging the cache, the entry on the cache page still shows today's date (12/28/2014) for the entry.

Editing the log entry gives the same behavior -- I can edit the log to have a new date, but it's like the date field is being ignored and only the current date is appearing.

Has the ability to log a find with a date other than today's been removed? Or, am I running into some sort of bug?

Logging caches a few days after finding them is something we have done for years, and would very much like to be able to continue doing. Is the problem that the date I'm trying to use is just too old? If so, what is the limit on being able to make the online log for a cache? If we can't put the correct date on our cache logs, our "statistics" page will start to include dates that we logged the caches online, rather than when we actually found the caches, which doesn't seem like the desired result.

Thanks!

However, when making the online log for our find just now, (http://coord.info/GLGBTA5X) even though I set the "Date Logged:" back to 9/4/2014 when logging the cache, the entry on the cache page still shows today's date (12/28/2014) for the entry.

OK, with a little more experimentation, I've been able to find / fix the issue on my log entries. It turns out that if one manually types in 9/4/2014 into the "Date Logged:" field, the date is "fixed" to be the current date.

However, if I type 09/04/2014 into the "Date Logged:" field, it works just fine.

Apparently, the date format needs to be of the (MM/dd/yyyy) format, including leading zeroes... I really don't recall that it used to be that way (I think I would have remembered that), but at least I've figured out how to record our finds online even though they were nearly 4 months ago!

Still not sure if this is a "bug" or a "feature"...

Live and learn...

Edited by solid-rock-seekers

Wonder if it's connected to this thread and your date format?

Read reply/s by Moun10bike.

Hmm. Does seem like it may be related. However it seems like the folks in the other thread didn't come up with a workaround and weren't having my issue of not including leading zeroes where needed, as their day / month entries already seem to have been two digits.

I think the "fix" for my case would be to include an error message (or similar notice) when the date format is incorrect, rather than silently ignoring the invalid date format.