Montana 600t Troubles

Today I almost threw my Montana 600t off the top of a mountain. I am absolutely frustrated as hell with it and am tired of going out in the hills hoping it will cooperate with me. Not once has it even gotten me close to a cache and when I am standing on top of the cache the GPSr shows 30-80 feet away. My iPhone makes caching a snap and am always right on the cache when my phone says I should be. The problem is that I usually cache where there is no cell service so I can't use my phone in the woods. I have owned several GPSrs over the last 11 years and it seems that they get worse and worse every time I "upgrade". My 60Csx was the king and I could always rely on it. I had a Colorado 400t with the wheel that I loved as well but it just up and died on me one day. I owned a few black and white Etrex models as well but I wore them out.

Can anyone throw me a bone here and tell me if they are having success with there Montana or are running into the same issues? Maybe I'm missing something with the setup or maybe it's just an expensive paper weight. I just hate going out after planning a day trip of caching and end up fighting my GPSr. What model is working for you serious "get out in the rough stuff" cachers? Any and all help or comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have used my iPhone on top of mountains and in canyons, under tree cover or in difficult conditions, a long way from cell service, so that should not be a factor. I no longer own a Montana, but had no problems with its accuracy. I assume you have it set for direct routing, have checked the firmware, and the like.

There are TWO settings that you may need to adjust:

Make sure that LOCK ON ROAD is OFF

-and-

Choose OFF ROAD

..... at least that was the solution for a 550t: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=326524&view=findpost&p=5434612 a short while ago.

The (full) manual just doesn't address the matter very well.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

There are TWO settings that you may need to adjust:

Make sure that LOCK ON ROAD is OFF

-and-

Choose OFF ROAD

..... at least that was the solution for a 550t: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=326524&view=findpost&p=5434612 a short while ago.

The (full) manual just doesn't address the matter very well.

This was very helpful. Thank you.

Not once has it even gotten me close to a cache and when I am standing on top of the cache the GPSr shows 30-80 feet away.
If the road snap issue doesn't solve it .. Is there ANY chance you are set for NAD27 datum instead of WGS84. Depending upon where you are in the country, that amount of offset could be just about right for that particular setup error.

That said, in the area in which you have been caching (e.g., GC1NN52 - I just checked your profile), this would create an error of more on the order of 320 feet.

Edited by ecanderson