Challenge that is undoable

You can say what you want about my lame challenge idea but the notion of finding caches in 35 countries is NOT reasonable. I wish it were.

Just as a point of reference, project-gc tells me that there are about 67 people in the U.S. that have found caches in 35 countries or more. "According to the stats" the person from the U.S. that has found caches in the most countries has found them in 95 different countries. It lists cacher names in decending order for the number of countries. I came in at #385 in the U.S. with 21 countries. Even a challenge cache for finding caches in 20 or more countries would be pretty unreasonable, though maybe less so if the cache was located in Europe.

Just so that I am not misunderstood, I love challenges and complete as many as I reasonably can. I don't care that there is a challenge for 20 countries or even 35 countries. It is the notion that we're told incessantly that to publish a challenge it must be achievable by a reasonably sized cross section of the geocaching population. 67 people in the US out of how many millions? Is not reasonable. Not even close. But I guess to call it out is considered a serious charge by some. We're now on trial if someone disagrees.

I gave a lot of thought to putting out a challenge and most of the time whatever idea I had didn't have sufficient merit to get out and place one.

I've seen a lot of Challenges lately which I wouldn't bother with because they'd take far longer figuring if I qualify than actually trudging up to the cache. I have GSAK and am a coder, so being able to parse My Finds GPX for qualification is sometimes not too demanding, though some are super obscur and I don't ever plan to seek them out.

As it happened, during my Christmas break I went hiking with a friend in a park I'd been in before to find a milestone I'd been plotting for the past year (hoping the cache would still be there as I approached the penultimate find) and I threw some ammo cans and a couple preforms into the Jeep and hauled them into the park. The park is Little Basin and while hiking I considered placing a challenge there, but agonized over something suitable. I think I finally settled on a theme in fitting the name of the park: The Little Challenge Nothing hairy, scary or likely to create a lot of agnst in people seeking to accomplish its simple goal. I'm actually quite happy with it.

In the end it was a simple thing to do and do well.

Edited by DragonsWest

This is the reason why such challenges aren't allowed anymore.

The old ones are grandfathered, but if they are not doable anymore, they should be archived because there's no reason to keep them active.

Ummm, no - Geocaching-related challenges to log a physical cache are still allowed, unless you've gotten a new memo that I haven't yet.

Edited by TriciaG

The old ones are grandfathered, but if they are not doable anymore, they should be archived because there's no reason to keep them active.

Ummm, no - Geocaching-related challenges to log a physical cache are still allowed, unless you've gotten a new memo that I haven't yet.

Man, the attitudes around here are comical.

:blink:

Um, I think you've got something mixed up.

The short-lived "Geocaching Challenges" were removed from the site completely. They were not archived.

Whereas "Challenge Caches" are still very much alive and well.

There's all manner of special guidelines and restrictions for their publication on Groundspeak.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.19. Challenge Geocaches

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

B.

:unsure:

This seems to be a rather oblique comment, when two different posts are quoted.

Whose "attitude" are you accusing of being comical? Which poster are you slamming with that comment?

B.

Whose "attitude" are you accusing of being comical? Which poster are you slamming with that comment?

B.

THIS

Could have very easily been this, without the attitude.

Geocaching-related challenges to log a physical cache are still allowed.

I don't understand why so many posts need to contain such attitude. Even your reply reeks of it.

B.

THIS

Could have very easily been this, without the attitude.

Geocaching-related challenges to log a physical cache are still allowed.

I don't understand why so many posts need to contain such attitude. Even your reply reeks of it.

"Attitude"? You must be very thin-skinned, if every post on a forum contains "attitude".

It's generally been recognized for years that reading "attitude" into a bunch of text is purely the perception of the individual reader.

It's funny, I find your posts to be quite rude and insulting to others. With a hint of a "superiority" attitude.

I posted nothing with any intention of displaying any attitude or emotion. You are imposing emotions and attitude where none exists.

B.