How do I locate my unpublished archived caches

4wheelin_fool

See if this is what you want:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx?archived=y

Look at the right side of that page, "Your Geocaches Awaiting Publication". The lined-through caches are your unpublished archived caches. Sorry, I don't know how to find that URL without typing it directly. I pulled it out of an old Topic of mine that was similar to this one, and it's cool that it still works. The site has changed since it was explained to me how to find these elusive caches.

You can also find each such cache by GC number, if you know what it is, and if you're logged in as the member who drafted it.

Edited by kunarion
Sorry, I don't know how to find that URL without typing it directly.

On your private profile - http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

look at the top line of options

Quick View | Lists | Geocaches (Yours).....

Click Geocaches NOT (Yours), because that would make some kind of sense, and this doesn't ;-)

That page shows your most recent 15 logs. (Does anyone use this page?)

http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx

On the right margin, a box has

Your Geocaches Awaiting Publication (Show Archived)

Clicking (Show Archived) yields the URL ku offered http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx?archived=y

Many times I've considered creating a Mystery cache that uses this bit of arcana.

But I've always figured that as soon as I did it, they'd change it.

Sorry, I don't know how to find that URL without typing it directly.

On your private profile - http://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx

look at the top line of options

Quick View | Lists | Geocaches (Yours).....

Click Geocaches NOT (Yours), because that would make some kind of sense, and this doesn't ;-)

That page shows your most recent 15 logs. (Does anyone use this page?)

http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx

On the right margin, a box has

Your Geocaches Awaiting Publication (Show Archived)

Clicking (Show Archived) yields the URL ku offered http://www.geocaching.com/my/geocaches.aspx?archived=y

Many times I've considered creating a Mystery cache that uses this bit of arcana.

But I've always figured that as soon as I did it, they'd change it.

Great find, Isonzo! I hope I don't memorize how to do that. :laughing:

Thanks for the replies. They don't make it easy, but I managed to figure it out.

I e-mailed the reviewer and a full week later I was told that 5 of the 8 could not be unarchived. They gave the geocaches a review, despite the fact that they were not yet ready for publication, and I was told that one does not meet the guidelines due to proximity, and the others are in a state forest which will not be allowing new geocaches until the end of March.

Now I am here scratching my head, because I already mentioned that they all need some kind of modification, or eventual permits. The state forest ones were created just before the moratorium, and are awaiting the permit system to be activated. I obviously cannot modify any of them if they are unpublished. All have containers in place.

So exactly what are the restrictions on unarchiving unpublished caches? Does the reviewer pre-review them for proximity and such, if they are unpublished and not ready for publication? :D

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

So exactly what are the restrictions on unarchiving unpublished caches? Does the reviewer pre-review them for proximity and such, if they are unpublished and not ready for publication? :D

Link for reference:

Unarchiving a Geocache

For any geocache to be unarchived, it must first meet the current Geocache Listing Guidelines.

Bolding mine, to emphasize the point that it more than likely applies no matter the status of the Listing.

Link for reference:

Unarchiving a Geocache

For any geocache to be unarchived, it must first meet the current Geocache Listing Guidelines.

Bolding mine, to emphasize the point that it more than likely applies no matter the status of the Listing.

That's written in reference to previously published geocaches. These were archived without being published. Without being published, they obviously may not meet the guidelines.

Link for reference:

Unarchiving a Geocache

That's written in reference to previously published geocaches. These were archived without being published. Without being published, they obviously may not meet the guidelines.

Since there does not appear to be any other guidance from Groundspeak, it's probably safe to assume that's what you get, other than the following popular thread:

Archived as part of site maintenance and database clean up

If you were one of the unlucky ones to be caught up in the sweep, and have been sitting on Unpublished Listings (I can't remember, was it 6 months or a year?), then I think it's only fair that the Volunteer Reviewer are granted an equal amount of time to respond to such procrastinators ;)

Link for reference:

Unarchiving a Geocache

Since there does not appear to be any other guidance from Groundspeak, it's probably safe to assume that's what you get, other than the following popular thread:

If you were one of the unlucky ones to be caught up in the sweep, and have been sitting on Unpublished Listings (I can't remember, was it 6 months or a year?), then I think it's only fair that the Volunteer Reviewer are granted an equal amount of time to respond to such procrastinators ;)

Since they were never submitted for publication, I don't know how any reviewer would be affected by waiting on them, as they should not have any reason to be looking at them in the first place. Four of the caches were waiting on the new state regulations and not due to any type of procrastination on my part. But now they cannot be unarchived due to waiting on the new state regulations? :rolleyes:

Link for reference:

Unarchiving a Geocache

Since they were never submitted for publication, I don't know how any reviewer would be affected by waiting on them, as they should not have any reason to be looking at them in the first place. Four of the caches were waiting on the new state regulations and not due to any type of procrastination on my part. But now they cannot be unarchived due to waiting on the new state regulations? :rolleyes:

Keystone's reply offers some insight to the justification for the decision:

Keystone's reply

You might argue that caches in the middle of nowhere shouldn't be causing an issue, but in CA where I'm located, there's not too many places you could describe as "nowhere" anymore, in terms of cache density.