eTrex vs eXplorist?

TheFrontRanger

I started geocaching using my wife's Garmin Map64S GPS, and it's great. I'm now looking for a low-cost GPS that I can dedicate to geocaching (she needs her GPS for SAR training/certification).

Any feedback/comments on the following units would be greatly appreciated:

• Garmin eTrex 10
  • Magellan eXplorist 110
  • Magellan eXplorist GC

Thanks!

Of those three -- none of them.

With reasoning:

All three are base-line models. They'll do the job, but there is no way to have it grow along with you grow and learn geocaching.

For one thing, you'll eventually desire expanded memory, none of them are capable. Expanded memory allows for additional (better) mapping programs.

Units that don't accept a SD card (or micro-SD card) will fill up pretty darn fast with data as you continue geocaching. This can, and does cause problems of slow(ing) operation as the space is filled. This can lead to the device locking-up, also. It happens.

Along those brand lines, for SD card use: Garmin eTrex 20 and higher; Magellan 510 and higher.

Delorme offers one model, the PN-60 -- but you can still find new PN-40 models (and they come with a super mapping program).

Lowrance is pretty much out of the running for geocaching models any more.

I hear-tell that the eXplorist GC is no longer in production (hear-say, only) -- but there are plenty as yet unsold units available.

Bottom line: if you stay with geocaching, you WILL want to upgrade sooner or later. Skip that step (upgrading) and save some money in the long run. After using your boss' unit a bit, you may well find those others lacking...

If I had to choose from those three choices... I would dig just a wee bit deeper into my pocket and get the eTrex 20.

Edit to add: end-of-year sales can very well produce a similar price for a better unit. :)

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Of those three -- none of them.

If I had to choose from those three choices... I would dig just a wee bit deeper into my pocket and get the eTrex 20.

Edit to add: end-of-year sales can very well produce a similar price for a better unit. :)

I have an eTrex 20 and love it. I bought a refurbished unit for my girlfriend from Cabelas, so deals are out there.

After years of geocaching mostly with Google Maps and then with my Android phones, I finally bought an eXplorist 310. I was originally planning to get an eXplorist GC, but the eXplorist 310 was on sale for just a few more dollars that day.

I still do most of my geocaching with my phone though. I use my eXplorist mainly when I need more battery life or more durability than my phone offers.

Did some poking around, and found some good deals on the eTrex 20. That combined with a decent-sized memory card will probably work for me.

--edit--

My updated list of contenders:

• eTrex 20
  • eTrex 30
  • GPSMAP 62s

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, etc.

Howdy.....

I use the Garmin GPSMAP62s (most of the time)

I also use the Garmin Oregon 450...... Sometimes..

I also use (every now and again) a Garmin Vista HCX (old one...)

GARMIN works for me.... !

Edited by Foothills Drifter

Did some poking around, and found some good deals on the eTrex 20. That combined with a decent-sized memory card will probably work for me.

--edit--

• eTrex 20
  • eTrex 30
  • GPSMAP 62s

Any of those choices get a "thumbs up".

Thank you--much obliged.

Took the dog to a nearby dog park today and logged two more finds. They were downright easy compared to the ones we found on Christmas Day.

--edit--

• eTrex 20
  • eTrex 30
  • GPSMAP 62s

Thank you--much obliged.

Took the dog to a nearby dog park today and logged two more finds. They were downright easy compared to the ones we found on Christmas Day.

So wait, you ignored all of our recommendations and bought A DOG???

Sounds like it worked out ok, though; you found two!

--edit--

• eTrex 20
  • eTrex 30
  • GPSMAP 62s

Thank you--much obliged.

So wait, you ignored all of our recommendations and bought A DOG???

Sounds like it worked out ok, though; you found two!

Cat says, "No more dogs, human."

16117628166_578a612610_n.jpg