Boiled Peanuts

briansnat

My brother just came back from NC with several cans of boiled peanuts. He said they were a southern delicacy. I tried them and thought they were deilcious.

So it got me to wondering about the other kinds of great regional foods out there. In NJ we have Taylor Ham, Texas weiners and Italian hot dogs. In New England, there are lobster rolls and in Maine's it's poutineurd

What is your favorite reginal food and by that I mean something you grew up with; can't do without and can't find outside your state or region..

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

Right on the money with Taylor ham/pork roll. Most people outside of NJ/Phili have never even heard of it.

Since I'm a junkfood junkie, I'll add White Castle for around here, and In-N-Out burgers for the Cali people that won't read this. Shoneys for breakfast anywhere BUT NJ it seems.

Also, as far as soda goes:

Mello Yello. For some #@$$@ reason coke thinks our area is too hip and upscale for Mello Yello, and instead offer us Surge.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Sub Sandwiches (NOT Subway or Blimpies) the ones made in places where they slice the meat & cheese to order and the place smells like Oil & Vineger.

White Rose Hamburgers (Highland Park,NJ)

Geno's Phillie Cheesesteaks in South Phillie

Take Care, Michael

Yes to Taylor pork roll!

A hoagie (no subs, no grinders, no Po' Boys), but a sloppy Philly hoagie is only found in this area.

Also, Philly pretzels are not the same anywhere else.

Pat's steaks.

Boardwalk pizza

Salt water taffy

Johnson’s Caramel Popcorn

There's also the Crab Mappatello, but it is only served at the Mad Batter in Cape May. Well worth the price of admission. icon_wink.gif

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

icon_wink.gif

quote:
BrianSnat: My brother just came back from NC with several cans of boiled peanuts. He said they were a southern delicacy. I tried them and thought they were deilcious
Yes along with chopped pork BBQ and sweet iced tea they are a way of life down here.

When I lived in Boston the debate was over who made the best lobster roll and fried clams.

Let me know when you run out of peanuts; I'll ship some more to you unless I come back to visit the family in Highland Park and do some cache hunting. In that case I'll just leave them around the Garden State as cache trinkets for you to find. icon_wink.gif

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes;

Nothing remains quite the same.

Through all of the islands and all of the highlands,

If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

quote:
Originally posted by Nascat:

White Rose Hamburgers (Highland Park,NJ)

OMG! If you never have, you MUST experience The White Rose System! This place is right out of that old SNL "cheeserburger, no coke, pepsi" skit!

I've spend WAY to many lunches, dinners, and 2am after the bar closed snacks in that dive! Sloppy, nasty cali-cheese w/cheesefries! LOVE EM!

Nascat, in Edison, you KNOW the only place to get a sub (not a hogie or a grinder) is Tastee Subs.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Scrapple is just down right nasty!

Taylor ham is wonderful.

So is our pizza. MMM NYC pizza.

Waffle house rules! My freinds always refer to it as awful house. I think its great. mmmm WAFFLES! Taco Maker is another gem. I only know of one in Wayne. Taco Bell cant touch it.

Mopar,

I've lived in Edison since 1978 and have never had a Tastee Sub, for some reason my Wife got a bad Sub there and put the place off limits to us, go figure, all I know is that place looks like Green Flag Pit Stops at a NASCAR Race, it's a madhouse at Lunchtime, Myself I go to Edison Sub Shop AKA Dr.Don's.

I have always had a place in my heart for the White Rose, I love the Guy's that cook there, they all look like they just got out of Prison, but the put the Fast in Fast Food.

Take Care, Michael

Maple Bars - All over out in the Great Northwest, since I moved to NY... never seen one. Think of glazed dougnut dough and coating in a rectangle shape about 2.5"-3" by 7"-8" and about an inch thick. Now pour the maple frosting over the entire top. I know, I know, they have maple coated doughnuts - it's just NOT the same.

On the other hand, since moving here I sure can't stomach a bagel anywhere else (that includes Jersey ;-)

dadgum hard to find a good fresh strong cup of NW style coffee out here also (though getting a little easier all the time). And don't even get me started on the first time I ordered coffee in a deli out here and when they asked "regular?" I replied "yes" thinking it was the same meaning as out West (good ole caffenated regular coffee) - yuuuuck!

Hmmmmm....ring baloney, chipped lunchmeat ham, marinara sauce on cheesesteaks, "Goods" brand potato chips, potato filling, dried corn...can't say i enjoy all these, but some of em are tastey!

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

Actually, it's ok to post in a regional forum as we are close enough to each other to actually stop by and try those things.

For WV, and speaking only for myself, it's got to be Gino's Pizza (local chain). I've heard so many people that have moved away say that it's the first thing they have to have when they come in to visit.

Tried the boiled peanuts in Florida, and really didn't care for them. Should have seen me trying to peel them afterwards.

This ain't exactly regional, but Harolds New York Style Deli is something you probably can't get in NY. You're talking about sandwiches a few posts above, and you've never lived until you've tried to eat an entire Harold's sandwich in one sitting.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

This ain't exactly regional, but Harolds New York Style Deli is something you probably can't get in NY. You're talking about sandwiches a few posts above, and you've never lived until you've tried to eat an entire Harold's sandwich in one sitting.

----------

_Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him._

OMG! Another of my favorites!

Harold used to run the Carnagie Deli in NYC, so maye you can get stuff like that there.

Middleswarth BBQ Potato Chips!!!!! A barrel of these and a six pack of beer and you have a party! Also, Keilbasa, Scrapple, and Old Forge Style Pizza. Old Forge is near Scranton PA and is called the pizza capital of the world. There are said to be more pizza places per capita then anywhere else, and everyone has their favorite that they swear by. Don't try to get them to go to another place.

I have heard of boiled peanuts but I have never tried them. Also, I don't get Pork Roll. All the local stores have a box in the lunchmeat section that looks to be 30 years old. I tried it once cold and was not impressed. Is there another way to eat it? Up in New England McDonalds sold lobster rolls last year, but probably only to tourists, I am sure no locals would ever order a lobster roll at Mickey D's!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

...and in Maine's it's poutineurd

Brian, what is poutineurd? I lived in Maine for a year and never heard of it. I did, however, try Moxie. Kind of a strange flavor for soda.

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

quote:
Originally posted by Team Geo-Remdation:

Also, I don't get Pork Roll. All the local stores have a box in the lunchmeat section that looks to be 30 years old. I tried it once cold and was not impressed. Is there another way to eat it?

Oh yea, gotta be hot. Fried.

Few slices with egg and cheese on a bagel or hard roll is a great breakfast. Grill a few slices while cooking your cheeseburgers and toss them on there. Slice it thick, then in chunks, add it to an omelet.

The box stuff is a last resort anyway, sorta like buying hamburgers in a box.

quote:
Brian, what is poutineurd? I lived in Maine for a year and never heard of it. I did, however, try Moxie. Kind of a strange flavor for soda.

Poutine (that was a typo). When I was in northern Maine every restaurant served it. Even the McDonalds had it on the menu.

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues" -Abraham Lincoln

quote:
Also, I don't get Pork Roll. All the local stores have a box in the lunchmeat section that looks to be 30 years old. I tried it once cold and was not impressed.

Mopar had it right, it has to be cooked. I don't think I'd ever consider eating it uncooked. Is that even safe?

During the last winter Olympics, a NJ snowboarder, Danny Kass won a medal (gold or silver, I forget) in snowboarding.

Another snowboarder was being interviewed after the event and said Danny Kass is the 2nd best thing to come out of New Jersey. When the reporter asked what the 1st was, the guy responded "Taylor Ham dude! It's the best".

Mopar, how do you buy Taylor pork roll then? In the deli dept? Gee, since you are coming to NEPA (80% sure I believe) to camp we should set up a tasting. I can supply the eggs and bagels though I prefer an english muffin because the bagels suck here. I can also bring some Middleswarth potato chips for sampling. Can you tell I work in new item development for a supermarket's private label program?

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Absolutely! The place I used to get it from was on the boards. So, take all those ingredients and mix in the salt air/sand from the beach. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

OTOH, I certainly can understand why pork roll would not appeal to someone.

Fro.

Geocaching . . . hiking with a purpose

quote:

quote:

Poutine (that was a typo). When I was in northern Maine every restaurant served it. Even the McDonalds had it on the menu.

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

I found it on the 'net, what a great tool. Sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen but I never let that stop me from trying it. Here is a link poutine

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

I miss one thing especially from each place I've lived:

From my hometown of Rochester, NY: White hot dogs, or "porkers." Never seen 'em anyplace else.

From my college days at Bucknell University in Central PA: SCRAPPLE.

From law school in Durham, North Carolina: pig pickin' parties (barbequed pork the way God meant it to be).

Now I live in Pittsburgh and can't get any of these things. But we do have chip-chopped ham (in addition to Primanti Brothers sandwiches as mentioned above.... yummm). Funny, all of my favorites are pig-related products.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Some mornings, it just doesn't pay to chew through the leather straps. - Emo Phillips

quote:
From my college days at Bucknell University in Central PA: SCRAPPLE.

From law school in Durham, North Carolina: pig pickin' parties (barbequed pork the way God meant it to be).

Can't help ya with the white hot dogs, but I see scrapple in the stores around here (northern NJ) once in a while.

I can give you my recipe for BBQ pork. But be advised it takes most of the day to make. I also have a "cheater version" that takes all day, but uses the oven and a concoction of liquid smoke, salt and brown sugar. Takes just as long, but you don't have to constantly check the temp, add coals and play with the vents all day long. And it has the added bonus of having your house smell like BBQ pit.

Bialeys. Outside of NYC, if you can even find 'em, the quality just drops.

Blueberry pancakes in Maine just taste better.

From my college days, strombolis and cheesesteaks but only in PA - anywhere else you'll find only pale imitations of the genuine articles

And, yes, there is nothing better than a greasy "Pork Roll Parmagian" to cure a hangover on Sunday morning on the Jersey Shore.

quote:
Originally posted by roasteroo:

Scrapple is just down right nasty!

I enjoyed this for some reason as a child. As an adult I agree sooo much with that sentiment dude. McNasty!

On a positive note, something I can't readily get around here are Krispy Kreme doughnuts. (yeah I know theres a handful of places near me, but they're not convenient, nor are they genuine, they are trucked in. NOT the same!)

Their coffee is the worst next to Cinnabums, but their doughtnuts are ooey gooey sinfully good. If they could make one store with dunkin doughnuts coffee & KK doughnuts... I'd weigh 300 lbs. icon_frown.gif

William

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
Originally posted by Team Geo-Remdation:

Also, I don't get Pork Roll. All the local stores have a box in the lunchmeat section that looks to be 30 years old.

That's a good sign! Jersey's Best.

Another great product of Trenton.

You're much better off picking up a box from a 7-11 or converted Kruzer's this way you can guarantee the aged authenticity of your Taylor Ham.

quote:

Few slices with egg and cheese on a bagel or hard roll is a great breakfast. Grill a few slices while cooking your cheeseburgers and toss them on there. Slice it thick, then in chunks, add it to an omelet.

I'll be sure to bring a couple boxes and loafs to the NJ Picnic at Cheesequake in two weeks. Taylor Ham Cheesburgers for dinner and PR, Egg & Cheese for breakfast, Sunday morning! icon_smile.gif

You wont need the hip-waders, with your added body fat you'll be able to float on out to Melvin's Cache! icon_biggrin.gif

For you north Jersey folks, White Rose System is kind-of like the White Manna.

Don't for get the Fat-Cat (and it's relatives) found only at the Rutgers' Greese Trucks, in New Brunswick.

Tastee's is good, both the Edison and South Brunsick stores, but, does anyone remember Greesy Tony's? (Extra Greese 25 cents)

But for me, it's gotta be Chicken Holiday! Any place that has a big banner out front proclaiming "We Fry Everything" gotta be good!

Oh yeah, how many of you Jersey-ites have made a steady diet out of the buttered roll and coffee combo for breakfast?

[This message was edited by Team Ekitt10 on May 03, 2003 at 10:37 AM.]

A standard for many in the New York City area is Katz's Deli on E.Houston St. in the lower east side. I can’t go more than a week or two without an overpowering yearning for one of their famous, old-fashioned, massive-portioned corned beef or pastrami on rye with brown-mustard sandwiches and a side of pickles. Anywhere else, they just don’t taste the same. Their hot-dogs are pretty good too.

On local eating: I spent 2 weeks in Philadelphia on an assignment. I found it interesting that many locals replace the morning donut with a soft pretzel. So, instead of coffee and donuts, it’s coffee and soft pretzels, mustard and all! It’s really good too! I don’t get the whole "mummers" thing though...

quote:
In and around Binghamton, NY you will find a special sandwich called a Spiedie. Haven't found anything like it anywhere else.

They originated in Binghampton, but I've eaten Spiedie's in Troy. But you're right, they are rarely seen outside Binghampton.

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by azog:

----------

_Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him._

OMG! Another of my favorites!

Harold used to run the Carnagie Deli in NYC, so maye you can get stuff like that there.

Harold's is INSANE. You can literally feed six people off of one sandwich. An eclair is as big as your arm! They must bake their cakes in 5 gallon buckets! There is a Harold's near my workplace...to feed an office of 10 we usally order two sandwiches and a slice of cake! It sound's like a joke but I'm not exaggerating!!!

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

I guess I have to get my taste buds checked. I never cared much for Gino's Pizza here in WV (like Mikedx), but then maybe that's because I'm an import. icon_smile.gif

Also, Rockdoctor mentioned Skyline Chili in Cincinnati. That's another one I didn't understand. I know chili's a big deal in Cincy, but what I got was runny and thin. I'm used to chili with some meat and some heat. Maybe it was my timing since we visited late in the day. Is that the way the chili's supposed to be? Also, why was it hard to just order a bowl of chili? Is it only supposed to go on hot dogs or something? I figured if the place had chili in the name, it'd be a good place to get a bowl of chili.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure we enjoyed the pizza in the Cincy/Dayton area--something that starts with a D. I don't remember the name. I know my family there likes it a lot. So much so that my uncle that moved to the DC area has it delivered there from Dayton.

Personally, my favorite pizza is Pizza Pit Pizza from Madison, WI. Hopefully it's still as good as the last time I got it in Madison (not their Lake Mills location--that one wasn't anywhere near as good.) Also, my family loves Rocky Rococo's pizza in Wisconsin, but many will probably disagree with that one. It's sort of the Wonder Bread of pizzas.

For the Tri State Area

definately will have to be Roti. I like the chicken Roti with a lot of peppers. Not as tastefull outside the Tri State. Roti is a pita with a curry stuffing. It comes in Beef, oxtail and curry goat. All are awsome. And off course Jamaican Patty(same again, come in various stuffing) With Coco bread.

DOWN SOUTH

Will have to be the best Hott Wings PERIOD! From Calz in VA.(haven't had a chance to try the real deal from upstate Ny yet.)

And Pappa Johns pizza. When you just can't get a NY pizza. This in now availible in the NorthEast region.

Out of all these I am definately a hott wing freak.

quote:
Also, Rockdoctor mentioned Skyline Chili in Cincinnati. That's another one I didn't understand. I know chili's a big deal in Cincy, but what I got was runny and thin. I'm used to chili with some meat and some heat. Maybe it was my timing since we visited late in the day. Is that the way the chili's supposed to be?

Cincinatti (or Skyline) chili isn't chili to me. Real chili doesn't have cinnamon, chocolate, cloves or any of that crap in it. It's supposed to be chili, not a donut! Egads!

quote:

quote:
In and around Binghamton, NY you will find a special sandwich called a Spiedie. Haven't found anything like it anywhere else.

They originated in Binghampton, but I've eaten Spiedie's in Troy. But you're right, they are rarely seen outside Binghampton.

_"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues"_ -Abraham Lincoln

Mmmmm! Speidies! Chicken speides, beef spiedies, spiedy pizza (go to Nirchis! in Binghamton). My girlfriend is from the Binghamton area and she introduced me to speidies, now I cook 'em all the time. We can get "Salmidas State Fair Speidie Sauce" anywhere around here. Go to Spiedie.com and you can print a form to order the original spiedie sauce. (lemon garlicious -- also highly recommended)

New Yorker 1: "I've got a place in the hamptons"

New Yorker 2: "Oh yeah? Which hampton? South Hampton? Bridge Hampton? North Hampton?"

New Yorker 1: "Bing Hampton"

I've lived near Utica New York for the last couple years, and they certainly have some of their own unique foods.

Pizza: Typically, in the Utica Area, pizza is made with the sauce on top of the cheese, and usually in a square pan. If a particular pizzaria doen't make their pizza that way, you can usually find "upside down pizza" on the menu.

Tomato Pie: kinda like pizza without the mozzarella, a sprinkling of parmesian, and the crust is more of like a siciallian style crust.

Chicken Riggies: Rigatoni, with chicken, cherry peppers, red and green peppers, onions, olives (and more) with a light white sauce.

Greens: I'm sure greens are elsewhere in the world, but, never encountered them until living around Utica. Basically escarole, potatoes, breadcrumbs, and cheese.

Fish Fry: Big time Italian / Catholic population around here. So, anywhere around Utica on Friday, you get the traditional friday fish fry, smells like a huge fried fish everywhere. Growing up in WASPy New Hampshire, not so used to that.

New Hampshire, isn't the greatest food state in the world. My parents, who grew up in NJ, constantly complained about how bad all Pizza and Bread was in New Hampshire -- spoiled by the awesome pizzarias and bakeries of northern NJ. If I didn't hear "they must have better water in NJ" about 8 million times as a kid.

Here's a tip next time you're in new hampshire... If you want a Milk Shake -- ask for a Frappe. If you ask for a Frappe, you'll get a milk shake, but, if you ask for a milk shake, you'll just get cold milk. Don't ask me, ask the French.

You'll see poutine in NH as well. Definately not as prevalent as Maine or especially Canada. Poutine -- the most delicious way to get heart disease. I've seen the same thing, but, called "Disco Fries" at Greek Diners (and no cheese curds, just process cheese sauce, like cheese-whiz style) further downstate in New York.

Also, you know "sprinkles" those little colorful things you put on ice cream? We call those "jimmies". A "sprinkles vs. jimmies" debate can turn rather hot with a new hampshire native. There seem to be people who consider "the multi-colored topping to be 'sprinkles' and the chocolate topping to be 'jimmies'" There are some who consider all to be "sprinkles" and some who consider all to be "jimmies". Most New Hampshirites I know call them all jimmies.

Great, thanks guys for getting me started on a regional foods thread. I love the Northeast for the variety of food and accents you find, two of the most interesting things in the world to me :)