A brand new Eclectic Penguin Geocoin

Eclectic Penguin

The Eclectic Penguin Geocoin is back – bigger bolder than ever!

ep2artworkb.jpg

Some of you who have been on this forum for over 5 years may remember my original signature Geocoin, The Eclectic Penguin. He was originally intended as a run of 250 Geocoins but demand vastly outshone my expectations and there are now the best part of 1000 of them out there either in the wild or (mostly I suspect) in collections.

Well, production had to stop for various reasons around 2010 when personal circumstances made it difficult to continue to make more of these, despite the demand for more different varieties of the same Geocoin. But let's face it, there's only so much you can do my changing colors and metal types so I decided to let the fella rest a bit and come back at a later date.

I've been through a number of life changing experiences since then – probably the biggest being that three years ago, work took me from my native Wales, United Kingdom, to the Republic of Ireland, for a 6 month contract. I loved it so much there that... well, I'm still here 3 years later!

And so, I find myself able to think about another production run of my signature Geocoin The Eclectic Penguin, with the thought of making this a 3 year celebration of the Ireland/Wales connection. But alas, I find that the mint only keep their dies for 3 years and *sob* 'he's a gonner.

To misquote Monty Python:

''E's passed on! This penguin is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!!”

I think you get the idea – the original Geocoin can no longer be made without... well resurrection. With that in mind, here's what I hope to do *very* soon indeed.

Since I'm having to re-design from scratch, I'm able to make changes to the design.

Firstly, the good news – the front of the Geocoin is going to stay exactly the same as the original. He's the same signature Geocoin that I created many moons ago and as such will also have the same Groundspeak icon and name – however there are also important major differences.

In order to celebrate my three years in Ireland, the side with the serial number is gong to change (the first time an actual design has changed in any of the E.P. releases). As you can see from the diagram, this side will have a crossed pair of flags – one Irish and one Welsh to celebrate the three years in Ireland.

Secondly size. This is going to be a bigger Geocoin all-round! The original was 1.5 inches tall. This one is 2 inches tall with all the re-scaling required for that to take place – roughly 33% bigger than the original.

There will be two metals minted – gold and nickel. Both will have glow in the dark bellies and eyes as with previous releases. To add to the Irish/Welsh mix, Gold will have a red bow tie (from the Red Dragon of the Welsh flag) and Nickel will have an orange bow tie (from the Irish flag) The eyes are emerald green and the belly white (from both flags).

Cost... well a tricky one. I'm currently aiming for £8.50 Sterling / €10 Euro. Cost in USD will be dependent on the exchange rate at the time but at the moment it would be roughly$13-$13.50. Postage will also depend on international rates – yet to be calculated but will be fairly representative of other international Geocoins. (UK residents note – I'll be posting from Ireland so European postage rates will apply).

I'm currently not taking any pre-orders as I need to set up online ordering facilities once again (the original system I used is by now unusable). What I'm asking is, if you *strongly* think you'll be interested in ordering this Geocoin, could you send email to:

waddle@eclectic-penguin.org.uk

Please include all of the following:

email address (please double check)

Caching Name

Real Name

Number and metal color of each Geocoin you'll require

Country of delivery

I will add your email address to a temporary private mailing list and will keep you informed of progress, including when you can order (or even possibly pre-order). This list will be deleted once the Geocoin is in production.

The order to mint is going to be made in the next couple of days and the response I get to the above email address in the next couple of days will directly affect how many I actually initially order.

There may be more in the future of course, but that's never guaranteed!

If you have any questions/comments … I welcome them below.

Secondly size. This is going to be a bigger Geocoin all-round! The original was 1.5 inches tall. This one is 2 inches tall with all the re-scaling required for that to take place – roughly 33% bigger than the original.

An Eclectic Penguin should properly be 20 feet high....with long green tentacles that sting people!

Thanks to all who showed interest in my latest Geocoin - the super sized Eclectic Penguin - a third bigger than the original and nearly twice the weight! I think most of the people who asked to be on the mailing list have now ordered.

Now that people on the mailing list have had a chance, if you missed out on getting hold of one through that method, there are still a small number left - however the number shown available are all that are left. I may make others but this is the last of the originally themed Geocoins.

If you'd like to see what they actually look like or buy (one or few) have a look at:

http://www.eclectic-penguin.org.uk/store

Attached is an image of two of the new Geocoins standing next to an original first generation Eclectic Penguin.

And to those asking if there are any Mark 1 Geocoins still available - I'm afraid not. I sold the last one a year and a half ago when one was discovered between the cushions in my car when I was cleaning it. I can't even make any more as the original dies have been destroyed by the mint.

ep04.jpg

Edited by Eclectic Penguin