Account password confidentiality

Team Microdot

Account Registration. You must create an account and provide certain information about yourself in order to use many of the features of our services. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

How confidential do I need to keep my account password?

Can I share it with my family who cache with me?

Can I share it with my friends in case I want someone to perform a routine maintenance task for me on one of my caches?

Is there a line I mustn't cross in terms of sharing my account password?

What happens if my account password is compromised through no fault of my own?

Account Registration. You must create an account and provide certain information about yourself in order to use many of the features of our services. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account password.

Can I share it with my friends in case I want someone to perform a routine maintenance task for me on one of my caches?

Depends what the result is I suppose. If you're using your account merely as a Team account and everyone plays nicely on it, probably not an issue. On the other hand, if someone uses your account to harass other members (i.e. TOU violation), submit a bunch of bogus log entries around the world, etc., I suspect the outcome would not be so happy for you.

Bottom line, it probably only becomes an issue if Groundspeak gets involved, usually as a result of complaints from other Users.

Personally, I never share passwords with anyone.

If they cache, an account can be made for free. They can do their own logging, using their own account/password.

If they have done maintenance on a cache you own, they can post a note on the cache page, and you can trust that the maintenance was completed. You would post your own "owner maintenance" log.

As Touchstone said, if you give your password to someone who abuses the terms of use, then you would be responsible for their actions.

If they post on the forums, you would be responsible. It's your account. It's your password to keep confidential.

That would be the fault of a spammer or hacker, is what you're asking? Then Groundspeak would know of the issue, hopefully. Assuming a hack, then there would conceivably be more than one account affected.

I know folks who constantly change their password, as a security measure, I suppose.

It's the same as any other forum or site where a password is required. Never leave the site logged in, as others could then use your account to do whatever they want in your name.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

[On the other hand, if someone uses your account to harass other members (i.e. TOU violation), submit a bunch of bogus log entries around the world, etc., I suspect the outcome would not be so happy for you.

Penalties?

You don't want to find out. :ph34r:

Although I'm sure if you could show that someone else did something without your permission, you could appeal a suspension. etc., if you had some kind of proof.

[On the other hand, if someone uses your account to harass other members (i.e. TOU violation), submit a bunch of bogus log entries around the world, etc., I suspect the outcome would not be so happy for you.

Penalties?

Although I'm sure if you could show that someone else did something without your permission, you could appeal a suspension. etc., if you had some kind of proof.

How about if I'd given my password to someone and then they did something without my permission? :unsure:

Penalties?

How about if I'd given my password to someone and then they did something without my permission? :unsure:

I take it you are not Team Microdot. How did you get the password and what have you done w/ our cacher?

Penalties?

That's your responsibility, isn't it? That's why, in the history of the internet, we have been told to keep passwords confidential.

You can change the password to block anyone else from using your account again, as long as you keep the new one confidential.

What exactly has been done? If it's logging of caches, you can delete them.

Penalties? Groundspeak can deactivate and lock the account, if they want.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Penalties?

Have to do maintenance on your local powertrail. And you can't log them as found.

Penalties?

They change your password and dont tell you what it is.

Signal sends the transmission that makes your GPS count backwards. The closer you get to a cache the further away it shows you are. :laughing:

Nothing's been done - I'm just curious.

The TOU says that we're responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of our password and I'm curious to know what - if anything - would happen if we didn't - or if our passwords were compromised by one of the myriad malware applications prevalent on the WWW.

Say my PC was infected, my password compromised and my account used to send unsolicited email or post abusive logs - could I end up losing my geocaching account? :ph34r:

The TOU says that we're responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of our password and I'm curious to know what - if anything - would happen if we didn't - or if our passwords were compromised by one of the myriad malware applications prevalent on the WWW.

Say my PC was infected, my password compromised and my account used to send unsolicited email or post abusive logs - could I end up losing my geocaching account? :ph34r:

Yes you could.

Yes you could.

Seems rather harsh :unsure:

Penalties?

First you start out asking about giving your password to others, then you switch to talking about malware.

Because you're "curious".

Responding to the original theme of willingly giving your password to others was my initial response.

To me, changing the discussion to having your computer infected has nothing to do with willingly giving out your password.

Still...it's your responsibility. Your computer, your antivirus software, whatever....your responsibility, your problem.

B.

Penalties?

First you start out asking about giving your password to others, then you switch to talking about malware.

Because you're "curious".

Responding to the original theme of willingly giving your password to others was my initial response.

To me, changing the discussion to having your computer infected has nothing to do with willingly giving out your password.

Still...it's your responsibility. Your computer, your antivirus software, whatever....your responsibility, your problem.

B.

Not really a change of topic. The last sentence of post 1 is:

Things happen, and a member has every right to be curious. Nothing sinister there. If there's a strict interpretation, maybe even the Rockhounders will need two accounts. :o