TSA Problems

AKACRider

I dont by any means replace every one, but if I liked it ind its really bad, or god forbid I break another.

Well if they do find it

Tell them to log it! :laughing:

Not the point. If I go looking for a ABC cache, that's what I want to find. Sure in the end it's just a piece of paper, but thousands of people visit the Louvre to see Mona Lisa, but nobody comes to my house to see the picture of it that I probted from my computer.

I dont by any means replace every one, but if I liked it ind its really bad, or god forbid I break another.

Well if they do find it

Not the point. If I go looking for a ABC cache, that's what I want to find. Sure in the end it's just a piece of paper, but thousands of people visit the Louvre to see Mona Lisa, but nobody comes to my house to see the picture of it that I probted from my computer.

Huh? Wasn't your comment about the TSA finding the cache containers in his/her bag at the airport? :blink:

AKACRider, are you old enough to be playing here without adult supervision? :unsure:

Yes, plenty.unless old enough to drive isnt old enough for you.

No, my point was that I wanted to make sure that you are not a child first because it seems that you just want attention. :anicute:

Can you not just mail your geocaching supplys that you will need to your vacation destination? How about just packing some extra logs in bags if you want to maintain some caches that you find. You can always buy a good ammo can at a sporting goods or a surplus store. Maybe post in the local forums and find another cacher in the area, or attend an event while you are there, or even host one of your own. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Well if they do find it

Huh? Wasn't your comment about the TSA finding the cache containers in his/her bag at the airport? :blink:

This thread has had two distinct themes. One is about issues one may have bringing in cache containers through a security checkpoint at an airport. The other is about what one does with those containers upon reaching their final destination. Technically, the second theme has gone off topic from what the OP originally asked, but the OP has engaged in both discussions and hasn't complained about their thread getting hijacked.

This thread has had two distinct themes. One is about issues one may have bringing in cache containers through a security checkpoint at an airport. The other is about what one does with those containers upon reaching their final destination. Technically, the second theme has gone off topic from what the OP originally asked, but the OP has engaged in both discussions and hasn't complained about their thread getting hijacked.

Yes I understand that. I was responding to a comment from right back near the start, but the person who I quoted didn't even remember their own comment and just assumed I was in off-topic land too...

AKACRider, are you old enough to be playing here without adult supervision? :unsure:

No, my point was that I wanted to make sure that you are not a child first because it seems that you just want attention. :anicute:

Can you not just mail your geocaching supplys that you will need to your vacation destination? How about just packing some extra logs in bags if you want to maintain some caches that you find. You can always buy a good ammo can at a sporting goods or a surplus store. Maybe post in the local forums and find another cacher in the area, or attend an event while you are there, or even host one of your own. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Its not that Im LOOKING for it, but when some people start going out of context, and bringing up irrelevant things, It tends to look that way.

But anyhow, thanks for the response MVPH I may just forget the helping othersxout aspect of things while im on vacation, after all, thats what vacation is right? ?

Yes I understand that. I was responding to a comment from right back near the start, but the person who I quoted didn't even remember their own comment and just assumed I was in off-topic land too...

It was a mistake to enguage on both, I sort of let my pride get the best of me and got type happy. Oh well lesson learned, thanks for the response. ☺

Its not that Im LOOKING for it, but when some people start going out of context, and bringing up irrelevant things, It tends to look that way.

But anyhow, thanks for the response MVPH I may just forget the helping othersxout aspect of things while im on vacation, after all, thats what vacation is right? ?

I normally would not replace a log for someone, but if I were vacationing in a resort area it's common to add a dry log to one that is full.

If I wanted to own a cache someplace that I vacation, I would just create a earthcache.

But word up on coming to these forums discussing placing vacation caches and throw downs, it's like painting a target on yourself. :anibad:

Enjoy your vacation in the lower 48. B)

I normally would not replace a log for someone, but if I were vacationing in a resort area it's common to add a dry log to one that is full.

If I wanted to own a cache someplace that I vacation, I would just create a earthcache.

But word up on coming to these forums discussing placing vacation caches and throw downs, it's like painting a target on yourself. :anibad:

Enjoy your vacation in the lower 48. B)

Yea no doubt! Will do, i decided against the vacation cache a long time ago, evidently a few people think thats what I had the containers for, but thanks again.

It's interesting that you started a Vacation Cache discussion back in November where you found out vacation caches are not allowed.

Are you looking for a pseudo-vacation cache experience? You still get to plant containers but ultimately the responsibility of the cache is the original owners responsibility.

As a child cacher you want to be sure to make your parents aware of what you are taking with you so there are no surprises at the airport.

You seem to be stuck on the age aspect of things, yes i will respect my elders, however i will will not be looked down on. Every three months, I travel roughly a 9,000 mile trip on my own, parents now with me. Now Im not by any means saying this to be a rebelious or what have you, there is a reason for it, but im not going into that now, I cache on my own, my parents have their things they enjoy, so do I, i share a story every now and again, so do they. But I dont sit there and pack, "ok, i got this this, this. This, 3 pairs of jeans and a rock" The way Im raised, and the way my parents see it, im on my own in 2 years, so i need to be ready for that, and need to be able to be trusted. But not to be rude, but there is now way to change how it comes across, that was my first ever post, I didnt realize how aggresive some people were going to be, and I really dont aporichiate whatever means you used to find out my age, it is not in my GS profile. You notice, the people whose parents treated thim like they were 2 intil they were 18 and let them go are the ones who wind up in a mcdonalds hat? Gotta teach the real world, the best way to do that is the real world from what ive seen, so Im happy with how my parents and I are going about things.

Your trailname looked familiar so I looked back at at the above vacation cache discussion where you say you are 15 years old.

I'm not looking down on you. In fact, I think you are rather mature for a 15 year old and come across as a man perhaps in his 30s. So people respond to you as a man who travels on his own without the legal authority of guardians.

I think most people who use the forums assume they are talking to an adult and provide information for adults. Advice to 15 year olds will be different then advice to adults. Most of us assume people posting are adults because the forum guidelines say that you must be 18 years or older.

Your earlier vacation cache discussion said you intended to plant caches while on vacation - which you came to understand was against the guidelines and a bad idea. Now you say you intend to carry cache containers on your vacation. It worried me that you might be circumventing the guidelines (perhaps unintentionally - if I can't plant them, I can pseudo-plant them). But I see that you've changed your mind about replacing caches while on vacation. Enjoy your time finding caches and remember to use the NM and NA options where appropriate.

It's interesting that you started a Vacation Cache discussion back in November where you found out vacation caches are not allowed.

Are you looking for a pseudo-vacation cache experience? You still get to plant containers but ultimately the responsibility of the cache is the original owners responsibility.

As a child cacher you want to be sure to make your parents aware of what you are taking with you so there are no surprises at the airport.

You seem to be stuck on the age aspect of things, yes i will respect my elders, however i will will not be looked down on. Every three months, I travel roughly a 9,000 mile trip on my own, parents now with me. Now Im not by any means saying this to be a rebelious or what have you, there is a reason for it, but im not going into that now, I cache on my own, my parents have their things they enjoy, so do I, i share a story every now and again, so do they. But I dont sit there and pack, "ok, i got this this, this. This, 3 pairs of jeans and a rock" The way Im raised, and the way my parents see it, im on my own in 2 years, so i need to be ready for that, and need to be able to be trusted. But not to be rude, but there is now way to change how it comes across, that was my first ever post, I didnt realize how aggresive some people were going to be, and I really dont aporichiate whatever means you used to find out my age, it is not in my GS profile. You notice, the people whose parents treated thim like they were 2 intil they were 18 and let them go are the ones who wind up in a mcdonalds hat? Gotta teach the real world, the best way to do that is the real world from what ive seen, so Im happy with how my parents and I are going about things.

Your trailname looked familiar so I looked back at at the above vacation cache discussion where you say you are 15 years old.

I'm not looking down on you. In fact, I think you are rather mature for a 15 year old and come across as a man perhaps in his 30s. So people respond to you as a man who travels on his own without the legal authority of guardians.

I think most people who use the forums assume they are talking to an adult and provide information for adults. Advice to 15 year olds will be different then advice to adults. Most of us assume people posting are adults because the forum guidelines say that you must be 18 years or older.

Your earlier vacation cache discussion said you intended to plant caches while on vacation - which you came to understand was against the guidelines and a bad idea. Now you say you intend to carry cache containers on your vacation. It worried me that you might be circumventing the guidelines (perhaps unintentionally - if I can't plant them, I can pseudo-plant them). But I see that you've changed your mind about replacing caches while on vacation. Enjoy your time finding caches and remember to use the NM and NA options where appropriate.

What I got from the guidelines is it was if you had a parent willing to be bound to the agreement and were over 13, but I could have read wrong, and I dont mind people knowing my age, however I dont like things "sugar coated". Anyhow, thanks for the response, and I apologize for any time a may have spoken out of line.

What I got from the guidelines is it was if you had a parent willing to be bound to the agreement and were over 13, but I could have read wrong, and I dont mind people knowing my age, however I dont like things "sugar coated". Anyhow, thanks for the response, and I apologize for any time a may have spoken out of line.

I think you're right on the age thing. I could have sworn it was 13 as well.

I think you're right on the age thing. I could have sworn it was 13 as well.

Lone.R referred (and even linked to) the Forum Guidelines, which says on the very first, "1. To post in the Groundspeak Discussion Forums, you must be 18 years or older, or under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian".

FYI, I got a nice email from AKACRider. Very respectful.

I personally like to know when I'm talking to an underage cacher before giving advice. In the forums I always assume, unless indicated otherwise, the participants are 18 or older. If they indicate that they are under 18 I do tend to assume that they are acting without parental supervision and breaking the guidelines, unless the child specifically says that their parents are supervising their discussions on the forums. I would feel more comfortable if there were some indication that that there's a parent who is watching, guiding and helping the young cacher. I think Groundspeak should make it clearer to our young cachers that when they sign up for an account and use the forums and website, they must have have parental supervision.

For starters, the registration page could be clearer.

Instead of:

I agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

It could say:

I am 18 years of age or older, and agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

With a separate link to a form for parents who wish to register a child account.

FYI, I got a nice email from AKACRider. Very respectful.

I personally like to know when I'm talking to an underage cacher before giving advice. In the forums I always assume, unless indicated otherwise, the participants are 18 or older. If they indicate that they are under 18 I do tend to assume that they are acting without parental supervision and breaking the guidelines, unless the child specifically says that their parents are supervising their discussions on the forums. I would feel more comfortable if there were some indication that that there's a parent who is watching, guiding and helping the young cacher. I think Groundspeak should make it clearer to our young cachers that when they sign up for an account and use the forums and website, they must have have parental supervision.

For starters, the registration page could be clearer.

Instead of:

I agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

It could say:

I am 18 years of age or older, and agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

With a separate link to a form for parents who wish to register a child account.

My Parents are more than aware of it all. And I do agree it was pretty wordy.

For me it wasn't the geocaching items but the GeoCoins. I one time (and some of you may have seen it) had a very large geocoin. That got a lot of attention when they xrayed it. And they questioned me about it. The other time is when I had a bag of geocoins. Of course seeing many coins together got their attention again. What are these? What value do they have? etc. In the end nothing bad happened just annoyance of being delayed.

When Papa EGTH and I fly with our caching bags, we take the batteries out of our Oregons and place the Oregons, all batteries, and our dismantled flashlights into a clear 1 quart zip bag to go in a bin on the belt so the items can be easily seen by the screener. We learned this lesson the hard way, when Papa EGTH got pulled aside and had his caching bag emptied out. The TSA person made the suggestion of putting the batteries, etc into a clear bag and we haven't had any problems since. We don't carry any cache containers with us, just some swag and replacement logs, along with a few TOTTs, such as an extendable magnet.

If the GPSr and batteries aren't an issue (if you use a smartphone, say) and it's the replacement containers, then my suggestion is to put that stuff into your checked bags instead of your carry on.