TSA Problems

AKACRider

Anybody ever had issues with the TSA and their caching stuff? Im getting ready to fly with my entire caching pack, which ive always gole light, gps and stamp. Im just curious, being that ots got probably 15 bison tubes, 5 hollow bolts, a few tupperware containers, and all sorts of swag. Expeiriences, tips, stories, siggestions? Im open to it all, thanks in advance!

Why would it be a problem? Unless you have it on carry on I doubt they'll physically check it. I'm Canadian so I havent dealt with the TSA, but I have went through with an ammo can in my luggage (an international airport, so I'm assuming same levels of security) and they didn't blink twice.(what? I had something that needed to go in a strong, water proof container. I can't be the only one who's done it)

Your checked baggage is more tolerant- after all having a knife isn't a threat if you can't get to it.

I guess the question is why do you think it would be a problem? Then better advice can be given.

And why are you taking caches on a flight? If you plan on placing a cache away from home, don't bother. It's called a vacation cache, and it's not allowed as you won't be able to do maintenance on it. Sure you could get someone else to take care of it (if the reviewer will consider that) but then it wouldn't be your cache would it?

First off, just with the major crackdowns on the people by the tsa, i guess im just a bit concerned about them seeing all of those containers, all opaque, and thinking the worst or somthing else rediculous.

Second, I take the caches with me everywhere I take the bag for fixing up hides if I find one wrecked, thats just what I do, and theyve actuall saved my butt once where I tried to open an older conainer that was seized shut and busted it.I let the CO know and I was lucky enough to have an Identical container in my bag. Ever since, about half of my containers live in my pack.

I dont by any means replace every one, but if I liked it ind its really bad, or god forbid I break another.

Well if they do find it, and they ask you, tell them it's for geocaching.

Replacing logs is one thing (and I personally wouldn't do that unless I know the CO) or even offering/fixing a cache with the permission of the CO but this is neither.

And it's still not your job to replace a cache. If the CO wants it replaced, they'll get it done, and get it done the way they want it done. What happens if someone is lazy and leaves a throwdown without even looking for the cache. Then you leave a throwdown (that's what you're doing, no matter how you try to justify it) then someone else does. Then next month there's 5 different caches, while the original is still there.

Or if the "broken cache" really isn't the cache- same thing as above. Or what if th CO has had issues and says "next time I'll just archive it"? Or the CO is gone, and people keep "helping" by replacing the cache. The point is to just let things happen. If it's going to die, let it die. If it's going to be replaced let the owner make that decision.

And if you replace the cache (let's call it ABC cache) you and the next finders really aren't finding ABC cache hidden by the CO

But you're still taking credit for the find. And worse, depriving others of the chance to find the cache they thought they where looking for. Oh and if you even mention replacing the cache in while logging a found it on one of my caches- and there are others who will do the same- it's the same as logging a found it while saying you didn't find it, or saying you didn't sign the logbook. And it will get deleted- because again you didn't find my cache.

I dont by any means replace every one, but if I liked it ind its really bad, or god forbid I break another.

Replacing logs is one thing (and I personally wouldn't do that unless I know the CO) or even offering/fixing a cache with the permission of the CO but this is neither.

And it's still not your job to replace a cache. If the CO wants it replaced, they'll get it done, and get it done the way they want it done. What happens if someone is lazy and leaves a throwdown without even looking for the cache. Then you leave a throwdown (that's what you're doing, no matter how you try to justify it) then someone else does. Then next month there's 5 different caches, while the original is still there.

Or if the "broken cache" really isn't the cache- same thing as above. Or what if th CO has had issues and says "next time I'll just archive it"? Or the CO is gone, and people keep "helping" by replacing the cache. The point is to just let things happen. If it's going to die, let it die. If it's going to be replaced let the owner make that decision.

And if you replace the cache (let's call it ABC cache) you and the next finders really aren't finding ABC cache hidden by the CO

But you're still taking credit for the find. And worse, depriving others of the chance to find the cache they thought they where looking for. Oh and if you even mention replacing the cache in while logging a found it on one of my caches- and there are others who will do the same- it's the same as logging a found it while saying you didn't find it, or saying you didn't sign the logbook. And it will get deleted- because again you didn't find my cache.

Yea. Im probbably worrying about it wayyy to much anyway, probably just need to pack it and forget about it til I touchdown.

Ok, Not trying to be disrespectful or what have you, but, i see where youre coming from, saying let things happen, and I agree to an extent, it it was not really significant to me or published within the last eh three or so years, let it go, its not for the long run. But if its uniqe, got lots of thought, or like 6 or 8 years old, i ain't gonna watch it get tossed because of a leaky box.

If theres throwdowns, thats not my fault. The handfull of containers Ive replaced I took up the old ones, ( really bad shape, beyond leaky, like will not hold contents kind of bad. Animals, branches vandals ect.) put contents in my new one, did not mension in log, emailed CO, let them know I had the container remains if they wanted it for some reason. Told them exactly how it was hidden, and sent pics to them.

If the owner is gone, helping it until its adopted or some other action is taken is better than geolitter. And my "rule" is if your name is on the log, its your find, and 99 precent of people I cache with say the same. So, just from my pov if I find your cache, destroyed by a squirrel for an example, your log, your swag still there, and I sign the log, and put your log, and your swag in a container that im giving to you, and put it back, camoed the same as you hid it, email and offer you your container remains, log my find, and its deleted, I will appeal that in a heartbeat. Especially if I know youre active in the gc community.

Again not to start a cache measuring contest, just putting it out there how I see these things.

Yea. Im probbably worrying about it wayyy to much anyway, probably just need to pack it and forget about it til I touchdown.

Ok, Not trying to be disrespectful or what have you, but, i see where youre coming from, saying let things happen, and I agree to an extent, it it was not really significant to me or published within the last eh three or so years, let it go, its not for the long run. But if its uniqe, got lots of thought, or like 6 or 8 years old, i ain't gonna watch it get tossed because of a leaky box.

If theres throwdowns, thats not my fault. The handfull of containers Ive replaced I took up the old ones, ( really bad shape, beyond leaky, like will not hold contents kind of bad. Animals, branches vandals ect.) put contents in my new one, did not mension in log, emailed CO, let them know I had the container remains if they wanted it for some reason. Told them exactly how it was hidden, and sent pics to them.

If the owner is gone, helping it until its adopted or some other action is taken is better than geolitter. And my "rule" is if your name is on the log, its your find, and 99 precent of people I cache with say the same. So, just from my pov if I find your cache, destroyed by a squirrel for an example, your log, your swag still there, and I sign the log, and put your log, and your swag in a container that im giving to you, and put it back, camoed the same as you hid it, email and offer you your container remains, log my find, and its deleted, I will appeal that in a heartbeat. Especially if I know youre active in the gc community.

Again not to start a cache measuring contest, just putting it out there how I see these things.

If the owner is gone, it won't be adopted...Adding more throwdowns = more geolitter.

But, hey...GC.com needs to adopt the rule that CO just throw out caches and finders take care of them. Might as well. You can't put in a DNF, as this will cause a cache to be TD/Archived. Can't post a note talking about the horrible condition of the cache or that the log is full: the CO will delete it or it will cause archival. Just make sure you repair and replace every bad cache and don't say anything about it in your log. If you don't find it, throw down a new container (who cares if you throw down a micro on a large sized cache) and claim you did. Might as well take our heads out of the sand and put all this down as the official rules, because that is how we are all supposed to be playing it. Sounds like fun! :ph34r:

If the owner is gone, it won't be adopted...Adding more throwdowns = more geolitter.

But, hey...GC.com needs to adopt the rule that CO just throw out caches and finders take care of them. Might as well. You can't put in a DNF, as this will cause a cache to be TD/Archived. Can't post a note talking about the horrible condition of the cache or that the log is full: the CO will delete it or it will cause archival. Just make sure you repair and replace every bad cache and don't say anything about it in your log. If you don't find it, throw down a new container (who cares if you throw down a micro on a large sized cache) and claim you did. Might as well take our heads out of the sand and put all this down as the official rules, because that is how we are all supposed to be playing it. Sounds like fun! :ph34r:

1.Im not putting out throwdowns, its a REPLACEMENT, REPLACEMENT, REPLACEMENT. just want to be sure every one sees that word.

And it is not on overy single messed up cache I find, for the second or third time now, loosing track, it is only on caches of some value that I even bother with. If I hike 4 miles in, and its an ammo can thats been there since 2007, and its full of waterand rusted up, hasnt been found in 2 years, and brings me to a nice place, ill replace it with an Identical one, when I hike i have an ammo can usually.ill contact you about it as I log. However, I wont replace your cracked film can, in the walmart parking lot published last month. And as an FYI ive NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put a throwdown. If I cant find it, which is somewhat rare, because Ill search for hour s, ill dnf it. Thats all there is to it. And i have not once to see an Alaskan CO start splitting atoms, because I put my own time, money, and effort into their cache, as an act of kindness. Because, quite honestly, I travel a good bit, and if had a squirrel or god forbid a moose or somthing get at my cache while I was out of town, if Hi saw a log that soneone had replaced it for me, and offered me the old container, id be stoked, because I wouldnt have to think about it while I was out of town, when Im home, Ill ensure it wasnt a throwdown, tell them to toss the old container, and if I saw them at an event or somthing, I would most likely slip them a few bucks or a bite to eat or somthing for doing me a favor, not turn purple and get delete button happy. And the reason I dont mension it in the logs, is, I dint want to seem like im looking for recognition or what have you, I want the owner to know, JUST the owner.

1.Im not putting out throwdowns, its a REPLACEMENT, REPLACEMENT, REPLACEMENT. just want to be sure every one sees that word.

And it is not on overy single messed up cache I find, for the second or third time now, loosing track, it is only on caches of some value that I even bother with. If I hike 4 miles in, and its an ammo can thats been there since 2007, and its full of waterand rusted up, hasnt been found in 2 years, and brings me to a nice place, ill replace it with an Identical one, when I hike i have an ammo can usually.ill contact you about it as I log. However, I wont replace your cracked film can, in the walmart parking lot published last month. And as an FYI ive NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put a throwdown. If I cant find it, which is somewhat rare, because Ill search for hour s, ill dnf it. Thats all there is to it. And i have not once to see an Alaskan CO start splitting atoms, because I put my own time, money, and effort into their cache, as an act of kindness. Because, quite honestly, I travel a good bit, and if had a squirrel or god forbid a moose or somthing get at my cache while I was out of town, if Hi saw a log that soneone had replaced it for me, and offered me the old container, id be stoked, because I wouldnt have to think about it while I was out of town, when Im home, Ill ensure it wasnt a throwdown, tell them to toss the old container, and if I saw them at an event or somthing, I would most likely slip them a few bucks or a bite to eat or somthing for doing me a favor, not turn purple and get delete button happy. And the reason I dont mension it in the logs, is, I dint want to seem like im looking for recognition or what have you, I want the owner to know, JUST the owner.

Sorry, I didn't put the quoting in properly..Not implying you place throwdowns....mainly wanted to highlight the bolded parts. The main paragraph I wrote is just a general statement about the state of GC and not to be directed at you solely. However, I just don't agree with giving CO's of older caches(especially ones with CO' s that have long abandoned geocaching) a free pass on maintenance. And I continue to see some of the most experienced and longest active players "throwdown" caches all the time, I guess numbers are more important than CO responsibility.

As for the stuff you pack in your bag, can't see it being a problem...just make sure none of it has been in contact with explosives, gunpowder, or hazardous chemicals (in case they do a swab check).

Edited by Uncle Alaska

I've had my bag searched more often when I have my caching stuff - but it was no problem other than waiting for the search. I didn't have containers, but it was the amount of small electronic stuff - GPS, phone, battery charger, lots of batteries, flashlight - that sometimes catches their eye. I don't think they will be bothered by containers at all.

I've had my bag searched more often when I have my caching stuff - but it was no problem other than waiting for the search. I didn't have containers, but it was the amount of small electronic stuff - GPS, phone, battery charger, lots of batteries, flashlight - that sometimes catches their eye. I don't think they will be bothered by containers at all.

The batteries could be cause for greater scrutiny, especially if they're lithium Ion batteries.

When I travel I typically have a laptop, e-reader, phone, camera and often my GPS. I've rarely had my bag searched. TSA has a specific set of items which are allowed in carry on and checked luggage. Details can be found on their web site. If cache containers trigger extra scrutiny just explain what they are, let them do their job and you'll be on your way.

As someone who deals with the TSA on a regular basis I'll say that none of that should raise any flags.

There is no restriction on lithium batteries contained in your gps or other device by either the FAA or the TSA.

At worst, some over-zealous hack might ask you to turn on your gps to prove there's nothing harmful inside.

Don't sweat it and go have fun.

If I hike 4 miles in, and its an ammo can thats been there since 2007, and its full of waterand rusted up, hasnt been found in 2 years, and brings me to a nice place, ill replace it with an Identical one, when I hike i have an ammo can usually

Hike 4 miles lugging an ammo can just in case? Wow!

Ammo can isnt just for them,,its for me, but if it was a significant hide, Id replace it, and an empty e0 cal in your baclpack, not bad at all.

My hat is off to you re your approach to assisting CO's in cache maint.,....I can assure you the VAST majority of CO's appreciate it. I also carry an assortment of containers and a sack full of logs in ziplocks.....there have been hundreds of caches I've assisted and have received many emails of thanks.

You won't get much support on this forum from folks who give a myriad of reasons but I suspect the underlying thing is they don't want to put forth the effort or be bothered in assisting other CO's ( you'd also be surprised that some of these have hidden few, if any, caches )

Keep up the good work.

My hat is off to you re your approach to assisting CO's in cache maint.,....I can assure you the VAST majority of CO's appreciate it. I also carry an assortment of containers and a sack full of logs in ziplocks.....there have been hundreds of caches I've assisted and have received many emails of thanks.

You won't get much support on this forum from folks who give a myriad of reasons but I suspect the underlying thing is they don't want to put forth the effort or be bothered in assisting other CO's ( you'd also be surprised that some of these have hidden few, if any, caches )

Keep up the good work.

Seriously...the circumstances would have to line up perfectly for me to allow anyone to replace my cache:

1 - The original container would have to be clearly documented as defective

2 - The replacement would have to be identical or I would have to be able to judge whether it was an improvement. For example, I would never accept a film canister in replacement for a waterproof matchstick container. It would also have to fit in the placement I intended...I would not compromise my cache for the sake of convenience.

Honestly, I could not properly judge it without being there to inspect the container and its placement. Call me anal retentive, but I honestly do NOT appreciate anything that does not follow or improve upon the original intent of the cache hide. Such a thing is hard to judge without being there...so in the vast majority of cases it should not even be considered. In those others, folks intending to replace my caches are in for some frustrating back-and-forth that they likely will not want to bother with. My best advice, don't try replacing a cache that the CO actually cares about. Sadly, a great many COs honestly don't care about their caches...stick with those and you'll be fine.

Edited by J Grouchy
the circumstances would have to line up perfectly for me to allow anyone to replace my cache:

2 - The replacement would have to be identical or I would have to be able to judge whether it was an improvement. For example, I would never accept a film canister in replacement for a waterproof matchstick container. It would also have to fit in the placement I intended...I would not compromise my cache for the sake of convenience.

Honestly, I could not properly judge it without being there to inspect the container and its placement. Call me anal retentive, but I honestly do NOT appreciate anything that does not follow or improve upon the original intent of the cache hide. Such a thing is hard to judge without being there...so in the vast majority of cases it should not even be considered. In those others, folks intending to replace my caches are in for some frustrating back-and-forth that they likely will not want to bother with. My best advice, don't try replacing a cache that the CO actually cares about. Sadly, a great many COs honestly don't care about their caches...stick with those and you'll be fine.

+1

Cachers "improve" my caches at times, creating more work for me.

I'd be very annoyed if someone unilaterally replaced a container (and especially if they have a habit of not saying so, in a cache log). I do not appreciate it, but I send a friendly reply anyway, which the recipient probably believes is a letter of glowing appreciation -- if you think I'll send a PM to a Cachers Little Helper that may be interpreted "I like my caches in bad shape", think again. I have to go to the cache site, remove the "improvement" and place a new container in its correct spot. The old container being gone, I have less information to assess what went wrong. It's great how they do it in Alaska. But I'll fix my own caches. Thanks.

Meanwhile, back at the Topic: I don't know how anybody has anything in a carry-on anymore. I have to take everything out of everything else, place it all individually in trays. I can't even wear a belt. There's no way I'd have a bison tube in my carry-on. If I'm on a trip (sometimes when I'm in TSA lines in an airport, I'm traveling, go figure), I don't have time for any extra hassles. If a number of weird military surplus cache containers are in checked baggage, who knows. Wild guess, they get rummaged through more frequently than luggage without.

Edited by kunarion

I don't know how anybody has anything in a carry-on anymore.

Because of the $25 per bag fee for checked luggage, I now try to fly only with carry-on. (It also saves time by skipping Baggage Claim.)

I have to take everything out of everything else, place it all individually in trays. I can't even wear a belt.

When I flew out of Minneapolis last month, they had signs posted saying NOT to take off your shoes or belt and not to remove anything from your luggage. Nice.

No security problems for me, but I only travel with cache-finding stuff, nothing for hiding. (Ask me sometime for my opinion on vacation caches, I dare you.)

GPS, phone, tablet, e-reader, camera, chargers... My "personal item" looks light but isn't. And I've never had to explode the contents for show-and-tell. But that little corkscrew in the bottom of the duffle bag, in Mexico they had to dig that out...

Because of the $25 per bag fee for checked luggage, I now try to fly only with carry-on. (It also saves time by skipping Baggage Claim.)

What I meant was, how do manage to have nothing confiscated that is inside such a bag, or at least not get held up while you entertain the TSA. There's a ban on retractable pens today. This handkerchief is too big. You didn't pour these into 1-ounce containers and sort them into individual 1-quart ziplock bags which then get placed into 1-gallon ziplock bags. I marvel how people routinely get away with things without a care. I can't.

When I flew out of Minneapolis last month, they had signs posted saying NOT to take off your shoes or belt and not to remove anything from your luggage. Nice.

Sweet! I usually arrive on a Special Harassment Day, where some agent is on the PA saying "Empty and invert all clothing pockets. Stand on your head and whistle 'God Save The Queen', place all coins made of metal or money made of paper into the 'recycling' bins provided." And they're mumbling it. Weird, that guy removed his underpants, is he crazy?... wait, everybody is. 'Excuse me, did that you say to remove all...? OKAY! Just asking.'"

Edited by kunarion

There is no restriction on lithium batteries contained in your gps or other device by either the FAA or the TSA.

The TSA prohibits loose lithium batteries in checked baggage. I had no idea about this particular restriction until I flew into Minneapolis last month. I noticed security signs in both Calgary and Minneapolis airports now mention these batteries.

Yeah, you have to keep them in your carry-on. That way when they start smoldering, it won't be in the cargo hold. It'll be under the seat in front of you warming your feet.

Edited by JASTA 11

The TSA prohibits loose lithium batteries in checked baggage. I had no idea about this particular restriction until I flew into Minneapolis last month. I noticed security signs in both Calgary and Minneapolis airports now mention these batteries.

Yeah, you have to keep them in your carry-on. That way when they start smoldering, it won't be in the cargo hold. It'll be under the seat in front of you warming your feet.

Have you seen the video?!?!

Have not had any problems with any of my caching stuff. I know I can't bring my swiss army knife (sadly) or my trekking poles in my carry on stuff but everything else I have brought whether on purpose or on accident (like cache containers in my backpack as they were already in there and I forgot to take them out) had no problems. Fake pinecones. Bison tubes. Fake rocks. Geocoins. Loose AAA or AA batteries. GPS devices. Etc etc.

Just don't replace a cache without the permission of the owner. Getting into the replacement game, especially away from your home location (while on vacation, or long time outside for the winter or whatever), isn't a good idea.

All you need for your trip outside for caching is your GPS, loaded PQs, a pen/pencil, and some spare rite-in-the-rain sheets just in case you need to add your name to a wet/missing logbook.

Use the Needs Maintenance, Note, and Needs Archived logs instead of traveling elsewhere ready to replace someone else's cache when you're not familiar with them, the area, and the caches. Each community is different, but the constant is the proper use of the logging tools (NM, Note, DNF, NA, Found it, etc) we have at our disposal. Use those tools when on vacation, not new containers and logbooks.

My hat is off to you re your approach to assisting CO's in cache maint.,....I can assure you the VAST majority of CO's appreciate it.

I bet the vast majority of COs who have let their cache become junk, could care less if it's replaced because they stopped playing the game. And those that are still active but let their cache become junk probably think 'whatever'.

But yes, there are a few COs with too much on their plate (placed dozens perhaps 100s of caches) who do appreciate not having to replace a cache and it frees up time to go out and plant some more.

My hat is off to you re your approach to assisting CO's in cache maint.,....I can assure you the VAST majority of CO's appreciate it.

I bet the vast majority of COs who have let their cache become junk, could care less if it's replaced because they stopped playing the game. And those that are still active but let their cache become junk probably think 'whatever'.

But yes, there are a few COs with too much on their plate (placed dozens perhaps 100s of caches) who do appreciate not having to replace a cache and it frees up time to go out and plant some more.

Or, they welcome the maintenance by others because they have come to expect it as "how the game is played around here..."

Not all carriers have a checked bag fee and pretty much every international flight doesn't have one with the possible exception of a U.S domestic carrier or two. I usually try to fly only with a carry-on but if I'm traveling for more than a week or so, especially if I'm going to visit more than one place it's often difficult to do. There are a couple of advantages of flying only with carry on luggage.

Since carriers started charging for checked luggage, most people will try to travel with just a carry-on bag, which tends to fill up the available overhead compartments. I have, on more than a few occasions had an airline announce at the gate that because the flight is full, they'll tag my bag at the gate and can pick it up at my final destination (without a checked baggage fee).

The other advantage of not checking baggage is that, if you want to change flights (e.g. get on stand by for an earlier flight) you typically won't be able to do so if you have checked baggage. TSA really doesn't want passengers and luggage to be traveling on separate flights.

I have to take everything out of everything else, place it all individually in trays. I can't even wear a belt.

Many, if not most U.S. airports now have TSA-Precheck which allows you to go through security without removing your shoes or belt or removing your laptop. I've always seen it as a separate security line and have never seen an airport where *nobody* was required to take off their shoes and removed laptops/liquids from their carry on.

There is some sort of algorithm used that will mark your boarding pass with TSA-Precheck and I suspect has something to do with how often someone flies. I got it for several trips in a row awhile back but didn't when I traveled with my family on the same reservation. At Syracuse airport, the TSA agent that checked boarding passes and identification seemed to randomly point travelers ot the TSA-Precheck or regular security line and I've been directed to the pre-check line a couple of times even though my boarding pass wasn't marked with "TSA-Precheck". The is also a mechanism for pre-registering for TSA-Precheck, which, apparently increases but does not guarantee that you'll be selected for the pre-check line and one can also obtain a "known traveler number" which basically registers you with TSA-Precheck and increases the odds that you'll get to go through the special line.

For situations like the OP describes I would tend to take the cautious route. There might be lots of people that have not had any problems traveling with GPS gear, but all it takes is one over zealous TSA agent to decide all that electronic gear is suspicious and not allow you to go through the security checkpoint with it. If you're lucky, you might have time to go back to the check in counter and pay $25 to check the bag, but you could also have to make the decision whether you want to leave your equipment hundreds, if not thousands of miles from home with only a possibility that you might get it back.

The GeocacheAlaska! Forums for your home state have an active thread on the topic of cache replacement here.

Regarding TSA...I keep all my geocaching items in a small fanny pack that fits inside my lapttop backpack. I place the pack in a bin all by itself so if all the cables, batteries, electronics, geocoins, and pathtags look suspicious on the x-ray, the TSA representative knows exactly where to look. I'm never certain what catches their interest...most of the time, the pack goes straight through without problem. However, last week in the Netherlands, I had to explain the geocoins I was taking as gifts to European cachers. Fortunately, one of the guards (TSA is American) had heard about geocaching via Facebook, gave the first guard an explaination in Dutch, and I was quickly on my way.

The two occasions I have had "real" issues with TSA both happened in Fairbanks, Alaska. The first involved a small box-end wrench with a TB tag on it. The wrench fit their definition of a "tool" and I was given the choice of mailing the tool home to myself, or checking it, or surrendering it. The gift shop right outside Security conveniently had padded mailers and stamps which I purchased.

The second incident involved a dud bullet signature item I picked up from a cache. The bullet created all sorts of consternation until they realized it had no powder in it.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

It's interesting that you started a Vacation Cache discussion back in November where you found out vacation caches are not allowed.

Are you looking for a pseudo-vacation cache experience? You still get to plant containers but ultimately the responsibility of the cache is the original owners responsibility.

As a child cacher you want to be sure to make your parents aware of what you are taking with you so there are no surprises at the airport.

the circumstances would have to line up perfectly for me to allow anyone to replace my cache:

+1

I'd be very annoyed if someone unilaterally replaced a container (and especially if they have a habit of not saying so, in a cache log).

+2

None of the replacement caches placed for my caches without first consulting with me have been "correct." Without fail, the original container was right where it was supposed to be and I removed the replacement container to recycle somewhere else if the container was worth recycling.

Edited by Ladybug Kids
all it takes is one over zealous TSA agent to decide all that electronic gear is suspicious and not allow you to go through the security checkpoint with it.

Does that actually happen in real life? Is it even legal? (They answer to some laws, don't they?)

I thought you just had to be prepared to turn the gadgets on, to prove they work.

Edited by Viajero Perdido
all it takes is one over zealous TSA agent to decide all that electronic gear is suspicious and not allow you to go through the security checkpoint with it.

Does that actually happen in real life? Is it even legal? (They answer to some laws, don't they?)

I thought you just had to be prepared to turn the gadgets on, to prove they work.

I can't speak for the TSA but I can for Canadian Border guards. The usual thing that happens is someone decides it's a prohibited item and confiscates it. Now you could fight for it, and spend lots of time, and money, maybe even large legal fees. In the case of airport's even risk missing flights and whatever you're going to- holidays with the family, or perhaps a wedding. Fighting for it is no guarantee you'll get it back. And even if you do, you may end up spending more money than it would have cost you to buy it in the first place.

In the end, you may get it back, but is it worth the trouble?

Again this isn't the TSA is was border guards, but the same rules apply, same things will happen.

Not all carriers have a checked bag fee and pretty much every international flight doesn't have one with the possible exception of a U.S domestic carrier or two.

For international flights between Calgary and Minneapolis, all the carriers I looked at (Delta, United, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Air Canada) charged at least $25 for the first checked bag. (Fees for the second checked bag could run as high as $75.) I'm sure there are some airlines that still don't charge fees, but I'm guessing their number is decreasing.

My point was while people might say, I've one through a few airports in one state or I know someone at TSA and have never had a problem might be well intentioned, I'm still going to exercise caution and try to get an "official" answer.

I traveled just after the "be prepared to turn on your gadgets" and recall reading a few stories of smart phones with dead batteries getting confiscated. On the trip that I took I knew I would be going through security in Syracuse, San Antonio, San Jose, Costa RIca, and Atlanta. I wanted to bring along a small footprint computer for demonstrations in Austin and in Costa Rica but the thing is that small computer (smaller than most laptops) did not run off a battery so I sent an email message through the contact form on the tsa.gov web site to see if I could get an official answer. I was basically told that the policy was "optional", that I shouldn't expect a consistent practice, and was recommended that I ship it via mail. I decided to leave it at home and as it turned out I, I ended up getting TSA-Precheck on every flight except the one from Costa Rica to Atlanta. I've been several trips since and I've never been asked to turn on any of my gadgets...but that doesn't mean that I won't be asked the next time I fly.

It's the inconsistency that is the most bothersome. About a month ago I flew from Syracuse, to JFK, to Dubai and then to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia with the same locations on the return trip. After I got to Ethiopia I took a 1 hour domestic flight to/from a small town north of Addis. On those two short flights I had a lighter confiscated, but it wasn't an issue on any of the other flights.

Not all carriers have a checked bag fee and pretty much every international flight doesn't have one with the possible exception of a U.S domestic carrier or two.

For international flights between Calgary and Minneapolis, all the carriers I looked at (Delta, United, American Airlines, Alaska Airlines, Air Canada) charged at least $25 for the first checked bag. (Fees for the second checked bag could run as high as $75.) I'm sure there are some airlines that still don't charge fees, but I'm guessing their number is decreasing.

The only international flight I've taken in the last 10 years where I had to pay a baggage free was a flight from Costa Rica to Atlanta (on Delta). For the 20+ other countries where I've traveled (usually not on a U.S. airline) I've never had to pay a fee.

BTW, is anyone else happy about the policy change between the U.S. and Cuba and the potential for travel between the two countries? Granted, GPS receivers are still illegal in Cuba but that hasn't prevented the placement of over 80 geocaches there.

Why should a CO be responsible for the upkeep of their cache? That is the job of the finder now... We all need to carry a bag full of new log sheets, plastic baggies, spare containers and parts. God forbid the CO has to respond to a NM log. :ph34r:

Good one Uncle ... now I have to clean the nose goobers off my lap top screen. LOL

How much do you carry on? Serious, people dont like those guys that try to carry on everything. I see this happen far too often. ANNOYING!

Here is the list of the most annoying things that people do on the plane.

The carry on baggage offenders is the top 7 on the list.

If feel if you can afford to fly, you can afford to check in your baggage. I am not talking about people that pack light... I am talking about people that are trying to save money by taking everything with them via carry on.

It's interesting that you started a Vacation Cache discussion back in November where you found out vacation caches are not allowed.

Are you looking for a pseudo-vacation cache experience? You still get to plant containers but ultimately the responsibility of the cache is the original owners responsibility.

As a child cacher you want to be sure to make your parents aware of what you are taking with you so there are no surprises at the airport.

I'm still trying to figure out why that other thread was locked without comment. TPTB are truly a secret society.

As I read the tea leaves, the door slammed shut a half hour after the "two cache monte coordinate switcheroo maintenance plan" was mentioned. I'm sure that creative NJ cacher was just joking.... ;)

How much do you carry on? Serious, people dont like those guys that try to carry on everything. I see this happen far too often. ANNOYING!

I carry on a bag that meets the airline's weight and dimension requirements for carry-ons. I'm a light packer, so that usually can accommodate a week-long visit. I get annoyed by those who carry on more than rules allow, but not by those who follow the rules.

I'm still trying to figure out why that other thread was locked without comment. TPTB are truly a secret society.

As I read the tea leaves, the door slammed shut a half hour after the "two cache monte coordinate switcheroo maintenance plan" was mentioned. I'm sure that creative NJ cacher was just joking.... ;)

There was a comment. The OP requested it to be locked. :blink:

Oh and don't tell anyone, but near most of my hides are 2 more full containers 100 feet away.. :P

You seem to be stuck on the age aspect of things, yes i will respect my elders, however i will will not be looked down on. Every three months, I travel roughly a 9,000 mile trip on my own, parents now with me. Now Im not by any means saying this to be a rebelious or what have you, there is a reason for it, but im not going into that now, I cache on my own, my parents have their things they enjoy, so do I, i share a story every now and again, so do they. But I dont sit there and pack, "ok, i got this this, this. This, 3 pairs of jeans and a rock" The way Im raised, and the way my parents see it, im on my own in 2 years, so i need to be ready for that, and need to be able to be trusted. But not to be rude, but there is now way to change how it comes across, that was my first ever post, I didnt realize how aggresive some people were going to be, and I really dont aporichiate whatever means you used to find out my age, it is not in my GS profile. You notice, the people whose parents treated thim like they were 2 intil they were 18 and let them go are the ones who wind up in a mcdonalds hat? Gotta teach the real world, the best way to do that is the real world from what ive seen, so Im happy with how my parents and I are going about things.

+1

I'd be very annoyed if someone unilaterally replaced a container (and especially if they have a habit of not saying so, in a cache log).

+2

None of the replacement caches placed for my caches without first consulting with me have been "correct." Without fail, the original container was right where it was supposed to be and I removed the replacement container to recycle somewhere else if the container was worth recycling.

Speaking of GCA, i sent you am email reguarding membership a few days ago.

Oh and don't tell anyone, but near most of my hides are 2 more full containers 100 feet away.. :P

Yes Ill be honest, i requested it to be locked, just as I may do this one in a day or two, I asked a question, to people with more expierience than me, I had like 30 finds, maybe, and got mu butt jumped by some people that seemed irritated. As I explained how Groundspeak had no rules on exact miles as long as it could be maintained,people were getting more angry, I was getting a bit defensive. wont lie, I wont hide my faults I had it locked so It didnt stray further, and so I didnt feel tempted to say somthing that I would regret.

Edited by AKACRider

Yes Ill be honest, i requested it to be locked, just as I may do this one in a day or two, I asked a question, to people with more expierience than me, I had like 30 finds, maybe, and got mu butt jumped by some people that seemed irritated. As I explained how Groundspeak had no rules on exact miles as long as it could be maintained,people were getting more angry, I was getting a bit defensive. wont lie, I wont hide my faults I had it locked so It didnt stray further, and so I didnt feel tempted to say somthing that I would regret.

You did the smart thing. Your maintenance plans sound fine to me as well, as long as you are repairing something you found, not blindly replacing. Geocachers are everywhere, and quite a few work for TSA from what I've heard. If a few suspect you might be leaving throwdowns, or hiding vacation caches under a sock puppet name, you just may miss your flight. Otherwise you should be fine! :D