Caching offline with a tablet - issues with map/navigation

RTechS

I've loaded a PQ of 1000 caches, and I can view them and navigate as long as I'm on wifi. This Android tablet (Acer Iconia 8 / A1-840-131U) has wifi/GPS/Glonass but no LTE.

So, I am attempting to load maps for offline caching. I can create a map of the area I want, save and view it, but when I try to navigate turn by turn, I keep getting "needs an internet connection."

So far I've tried Google and Locus free.

From what I have read/heard on Geocaching podcast (Darrell) the offline functionality is supposed to give navigation as well. Anyone have any experience with this, or any suggestions?

Thanks! :)

Interesting. In my experience, the only way I can navigate is if I:

1. have a data signal or

2. am using my dedicated GPS

Sorry to say, I'm at a loss with turn-by-turn navigation. I know that you can still follow an arrow when "offline", because you're using a GPS. I know you can see a dot moving on a map when offline and you've saved maps for offline use.

As for turn-by-turn, I think you need to have a data signal to do that, or have different mapping/routing software to make it possible.

I would think that you would have to be connected in order to get the information. You do not have the program and all the data files on your tablet to create that information. Essentially what you do when you use a mapping program is you contact that web site and ask it to send you the information which it does pretty much instantaneously. Basically it's a fancy version of calling a business and asking them for directions to their business from the location you give them on the phone but you have to have a phone in order to do that. Turn by turn downloaded before going off line might work but that's not any different than printing out the turn by turn instructions you get from Google maps. And if there is no connection the tablet doesn't know where you are short of having its own GPS unit capabilities separate from wifi/cell phone connections. Unless I don't know what I'm talking about and my wife tells me that's often the case. I don't use a tablet or smart phone so I may well not know what I'm talking about.

Got it working guys!

I started thinking about this more & realized I could use my smartphone as a mobile hotspot! Enabled Bluetooth, paired the devices, set up the passwords/etc., and now my tablet is performing exactly as I wanted by using the smartphone LTE internet connection. Even better actually, as now I have real-time data and don't need o even bother with the offline mapping.

Sure, I still need to carry the smartphone with me since it must be close to the tablet for the connection to remain active, but I can clip it on my belt or tuck it away in the geo-bag for safekeeping. A small hassle, but one I can live with to have the luxury of an 8" tablet screen!

Got it working guys!

I started thinking about this more & realized I could use my smartphone as a mobile hotspot! Enabled Bluetooth, paired the devices, set up the passwords/etc., and now my tablet is performing exactly as I wanted by using the smartphone LTE internet connection. Even better actually, as now I have real-time data and don't need o even bother with the offline mapping.

Sure, I still need to carry the smartphone with me since it must be close to the tablet for the connection to remain active, but I can clip it on my belt or tuck it away in the geo-bag for safekeeping. A small hassle, but one I can live with to have the luxury of an 8" tablet screen!

Glad you got it working, though personally I'd be careful about geocaching with a tablet if there was a chance of rain or I might be required to navigate terrain more difficult that a nearly flat pathway.

The behavior that you saw before pairing your phone with your laptop still has me curious. In order to even see the initial map it's going to need some type of data connection (if you had looked at maps of the area when you had a wifi connection the image tiles might be in the cache,.,(a different kind of cache) or perhaps the app has a base layer map at just one zoom level. However, once you try to navigate, the system is going to make real time request to load additional mapping tiles and routing data.

Got it working guys!

Glad you got it working, though personally I'd be careful about geocaching with a tablet if there was a chance of rain or I might be required to navigate terrain more difficult that a nearly flat pathway.

The behavior that you saw before pairing your phone with your laptop still has me curious. In order to even see the initial map it's going to need some type of data connection (if you had looked at maps of the area when you had a wifi connection the image tiles might be in the cache,.,(a different kind of cache) or perhaps the app has a base layer map at just one zoom level. However, once you try to navigate, the system is going to make real time request to load additional mapping tiles and routing data.

I actually feel more comfortable caching w/ a $100 tablet than with a $500 GPS unit, as far as damage goes, although I do understand your point. In regards to this;

I was assuming it would navigate/update direction/routing from the on-board GPS radio, just like a handheld/other GPS unit would. Am I wrong about this? I may be, since I have very little experience with a standalone GPS unit.