What is the best GPS for features listed below?

diosma1

The word best is relative. Do you have a budget restriction? What type of caching do you do (rural hiking or urban)? Is size a factor?

The Oregon series has all those and the touchscreen interface is great. Dakotas are just small Oregons and the Montana (my model and I am not sure I will ever buy another one) is a big Oregon.

I’d agree with Splashy that the Dakota 10 is a bad idea for limited memory and no way to add more.

Here’s Garmin’s comparison of etrex 20, etrex 30, and Dakota 20:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=87771&compareProduct=87774&compareProduct=30926

On battery life, eTrex line wins against all the other suggestions, and the eTrex 20 wins on lowest price for currently shipping models.

As OP said price was a factor, I’d skip Oregons and Montanas unless you found a really good deal on a used one.

Edited by user13371

The word best is relative. Do you have a budget restriction? What type of caching do you do (rural hiking or urban)? Is size a factor?

The Oregon series has all those and the touchscreen interface is great. Dakotas are just small Oregons and the Montana (my model and I am not sure I will ever buy another one) is a big Oregon.

Hi, thank you for all of your responses :). I mainly do urban geocaching, however I sometimes do rural hiking too.

An Oregon 450 or Dakota 20, used, in good condition, would be one of the best approaches to getting your needs met at a pretty low cost. Firmware reasonably solid on both, and if you like to enter field notes (a key element of the 'paperless' part), it's hard to beat a touchscreen for speed of entry. In both cases, you get a 3 axis compass which can be handy for figuring out where you're going when you're not moving.