Replacing one hide with another

humspuds

A cache of ours was recently displaced after the city rebuilt the kiosk where it was hidden. The old hiding spot was eliminated, so to replace it, we've had to change the container and style of hide completely. We came up with something kind of fun, and we're considering archiving the old cache and immediately submitting a new report. Is there a risk, though, that we could lose our site? How soon after archiving a cache can a new one appear at the same location? We could just keep the old listing, but we'd like to give local cachers a new cache for Christmas. :)

I've done that once or twice. Your new cache would have nothing to do with your old cache. Make it a new cache. Hide the new cache. Archive the old cache, and submit the page for the new cache. Extremely minimal chance that anyone would have a new cache in that location ready to go. (I do miss the old one on a 250' staircase down the cliff. But they closed the staircase!)

Though slim, theoretically someone could be "camped" out at the location with an Unpublished Listing, waiting for you to Archive your current Listing. Just to reduce the risk of frustration, I'd probably contact the local Reviewer just to make sure your idea would work.

+1 Yeah like this guy says. I usually ask my reviewer just to be sure.

Though slim, theoretically someone could be "camped" out at the location with an Unpublished Listing, waiting for you to Archive your current Listing. Just to reduce the risk of frustration, I'd probably contact the local Reviewer just to make sure your idea would work.

+1 Yeah like this guy says. I usually ask my reviewer just to be sure.

Ask your Reviewer...

You could submit the new listing, explain the situation, and ask the reviewer to archive the 'old' cache?

A little off topic, but I'm glad you plan on archiving and listing a new cache.

There are a few caches I've found the CO has had to move it, change the type of container and the hide, but left it as the original on the cache page. (one cache was moved 1500 ft., down a different trail, and is still the same cache number.)

When that happens on a local cache, I will usually go find the new one. But am a little disappointed I cannot log it as it really is a new experience.

A little off topic, but I'm glad you plan on archiving and listing a new cache.

There are a few caches I've found the CO has had to move it, change the type of container and the hide, but left it as the original on the cache page. (one cache was moved 1500 ft., down a different trail, and is still the same cache number.)

When that happens on a local cache, I will usually go find the new one. But am a little disappointed I cannot log it as it really is a new experience.

Ditto. My listing shows that I logged the same cache twice. What really happened is a cache was placed, I found it, it disappeared, was archived, I placed the final stage of a multi about 300 feet away, then several months later a new cache (micro instead of ammocan, placed in a different location about 30 feet away) was placed by the same CO, who then convinced a reviewer to unarchive the old one. Can you tell I was irritated by the entire thing? :mad: In my mind, if you change the container AND the hide location it is a new cache!

I also agree with the multiple comments that the best way to assure a new cache placement will be approved is to communicate with the reviewer beforehand. I have found that the reviewers really are a CO's best ally in most cases.

I've done the same thing. My original traditional cache in a tree was muggled. So I made it a multi cache. For this I also needed a new listing, since it's not possible to turn a traditional into a multi. Stage 1 is in the very same tree, and gives you the coordinates for the final which is now in a more protected spot.

Another cacher had given me the advice that I could write to the reviewer and ask him to archive the old cache at the same time that he'd publish the new one. I wrote that in the reviewer note when submitting the new cache listing. The reviewer said I'd have to archive the old one myself which I did, and then he published the new one.

So the easiest way would be to place the new cache, write the complete listing, the archive the old one and submit the new listing immediately afterwards. If anyone tries to submit a cache at the same coordinates after the archival your new cache will be the first one to have been submitted. So the reviewer will have to publish yours.

I also have a similar situation.. the original cache was placed under a different login name. It was a group 'game' setup and maintained by multiple people. I wanted to keep the location & the container but under my name and without the 'game' associated with it.

I emailed my reviewer and explained the situation..... He mentioned to 'create your cache page' first. This will HOLD the position for when you're ready. Archive the original one.

I just archived the old one and haven't had a chance to refresh the container or log - The holidays are always busy.

As soon as I get out there to refresh the container & log - I'll submit the new page for review.

Ultimately...the new cache is the same container & location and will be names 'Deja Vu' LOL

Edited by Lieblweb

So the easiest way would be to place the new cache, write the complete listing, the archive the old one and submit the new listing immediately afterwards. If anyone tries to submit a cache at the same coordinates after the archival your new cache will be the first one to have been submitted. So the reviewer will have to publish yours.

Just a point of clarification. The rule of thumb for reviewers seems to give priority to the lowest GC Code that occupies a location rather than which cache is submitted first.

If a cache gets archived and you submit your new cache listing three minutes later, the reviewer will check to see if the location of your cache conflicts with any other existing caches or any pre-publication caches. Suppose I had noticed that the cache in question had been missing and likely would be archived soon. Two weeks ago, I had created a cache page with a location very close to that spot. But I haven't yet submitted my cache for publication. In our area, the reviewer likely would contact me first to see if I was still working on my pre-publication cache and, if not, ask if I was willing to give up the location to someone else (i.e., you) who wanted to put a cache nearby.

That said, I suspect the owner of the to-be-archived cache probably has an even greater claim to the location than I do. If that owner contacted the reviewer and asked if they could replace the archived cache with a new one, I'd assume they would be allowed to do so, even though your and my cache listings had lower GC Codes than their new listing.