Moose Statue, which category?

gpsblake

Can't find an exact category for this so I am asking for suggestions of which category I should try to put this one, or if none exist, perhaps foarming a new sub-group (Misc. Animal statues) to log this good animal statue of a moose.

Suggestions on where to post this please...

You might want to check the Big Book of Animals... Your Moose is most likely an elk.

Edited by jhuoni

lol, your right it's an Elk... I saw that category of Figurative Public Sculpture but wasn't sure about the "one particular animal" thing. Thanks.

"One particular animal" just excludes identifiable or named individuals like Flipper, Lassie, Donald Duck or the first dog in space.

http://www.Waymarking.com/waymarks/WMN279_Im_the_Boss_Elk_statue_Columbia_SC

No worries, it got declined by the group owner because the 2nd photo I took the sun completely blinded the statue (so I didn't submit it) and he's strict that it must be 2 photos with no exceptions, although this is 35 miles from my house, first time any waymark of mine ever got declined. Oh well.....

Edited by gpsblake

I think that it is normal that when a category requires 2 photos and we submit a waymark with only one, it is declined (that has happened to me). But when i see that a waymark has been approved with only one photo in a category that requires two because an exception, i expect that when i submit a waymark with only one photo in that category it is approved to, if that doesnt happen i think i am being discriminated.

The exception must become equal to everyone, so it becomes the rule.

FIGURATIVE -- Any sculpture based on a figure -- human or animal -- that is NOT identifiable as a particular individual. Some of the examples given are at least partially abstract, which was actually the original intent of the category although it soon enlarged to include totally realistic sculptures.

PHOTOS -- We shouldn't be upset if a waymark is declined because it doesn't meet the category requirements. My rule of thumb (I have a lot of thumbs) is to take more pictures than I think I'll need. It is like having a back up. I also usually post MORE than the minimum number of photos, especially in art categories. For a sculpture like this, for instance, I would submit two or three close-up photos from different angles and than one from a distance to give some perspective in its setting. I would also look for a signature, usually on the base, and take a close-up of it.

EXCEPTIONS -- So, if an exception were made, would that mean that the category officers now have to accept ALL waymarks with only one photo? That attitude is one reason why reviewers seem strict about their requirements. It seems clear to me that an exception is just that -- an exception. It is NOT a global change in category requirements. It is an exception, NOT the setting of a precedent. Sometimes a waymark that should have been declined gets approved. Then people complain when their noncompliant waymark is declined because such-and-such a waymark was previously approved.

As a reviewer, I try to maintain a balance between strictness and flexibility. Sometimes it seems that no matter which way I go, someone is going to be unhappy.

EXCEPTIONS -- So, if an exception were made, would that mean that the category officers now have to accept ALL waymarks with only one photo? That attitude is one reason why reviewers seem strict about their requirements. It seems clear to me that an exception is just that -- an exception. It is NOT a global change in category requirements. It is an exception, NOT the setting of a precedent. Sometimes a waymark that should have been declined gets approved. Then people complain when their noncompliant waymark is declined because such-and-such a waymark was previously approved.

This inconsistency is sometimes due to simple inconsistent reviewing. The Firehouses category is a classic example. You can find examples of Waymarks being approved with a city and state appended to the end of the title, but at least one of the officers will decline a Waymark if you do this. I really wish groups like that could get together and get on the same page.