Dog's Sniffing caches out!!!???

SunCrushNJ

I was talking w/ Moose_is_Loose yesturday ta the cache Bamboo Forest and he was telling me about the uprise in people who go out geocachin, bring there dogs so they will smell the scent of humans on the cache its self and find it or atleast the correct area. I'm sorry i'm all for bringing the dog, if I had one i would bring it out to for some excerise and fun, but using it to find geocaches now I'm begining to think it might be alittle on the cheating side. Anyone else with me on this???

I think it is ok, just one more tool to use. We bring my lab with us everytime we cache but she has never shown any inclination to help. She is too darn busy looking for squirrels and other living stuff. Maybe next time I will ask her for help, but I think she is also just too dumb!

PSUPAUL of

Team Geo-Remdation

I originally brought mine along to get his exercise too. Snickers would have been just as happy to continue up the main path sniffing out any new smells he can come across, but becuase I was already searching in the general area, I allow him to explore the general area. As a responsible owner, I keep track of his location and pick up after him.

I've mentioned he helped locate a cache location by discovering a path I otherwise didn't see, but he had gone past the cache just enough to cause me to look in that general direction and discovered an unnatural lay of some logs over the cache. Is that cheating? I don't think so.

That's like saying taking a dog with you to help flush or retrieve the game during hunting season is cheating. It isn't like he pointed at it and barked "Here it is!" He sniffed at it and continued on.

I could give another anecdote where he helped trailblaze a passable detour around large wind blown fallen trees over a mountain path. He just has an uncanny way of understanding the need and is more than happy to lead the way. It isn't that I wouldn't have found the way (or the cache), he just made it a little easier.

Cheers!

TL

I used to do that untill I made up some cards and gave the dog a stapler, now she affixes a scoobydooers were here card to the logs and then rehides the cache back where she found it, saves me the trouble of signing in.

scoobydooers

I can usually just whisper the coords in my Greyhound's ear and wait by the car until he arrives with the cache. Saves alot of wear and tear on my shoes and gives me more time to eat my lunch

quote:
used to do that untill I made up some cards and gave the dog a stapler, now she affixes a scoobydooers were here card to the logs and then rehides the cache back where she found it, saves me the trouble of signing in.

As long as these dogs don't sign caches the way they sign hydrants, I don't care if they help find them!

Published experts (1, 2) say with certainty that critical situations will arise which are totally unexpected.

I had a boxer I took caching with me. He is now living with my daughter's boyfriend. But sometimes I 'borrow' him for a few days because I miss him(I can't have pets over 65 lbs where I live, he's about 85 lbs). When I take him caching with me he usually finds the cache first but I have to pay attention to where he's sniffing otherwise I end up continuing to search long after he has moved on to other scents. So he's a good cache finder, I just wish he would give me some sign that he has found the cache before moving on to sniff else where, ya know!!!!!!! Geez icon_smile.gif

The harder you work,the harder it is to give up.

Vince Lombarde