Sad News

It is with a Sad Heart that I have been asked to pass on the news, that one of the very first Geocachers in the UK John Stead has Passed Away, following a long battle with Illness

I and my family meet John way back in 2003 and he was a fantastic friend to many within the Geocaching Community.

He was a Gentleman's Gentleman, who had a heart o solid Gold.

The thoughts of my family and myself, go out to Johns Family and Friends, he will leave a huge hole within the Geocaching Community.

Dave

We can only echo Dave's words.

When we started caching (thanks to John's granddaughter who was one of Mrs BLB's Cub Scouts), John was our Guardian Angel, spotting our double logs, advising on technicalities and guiding us through our early placements. He took us under his wing in his gentle and generous way.

We often quote his advice as a mantra for Cache placements - "Quality over Quantity".

John will be much missed and our heartfelt thoughts and condolences go to his family.

God bless.

Lis and Mike

Sad news indeed... I first met John at one of the very early cache 'Events' in 2003. If I remember correctly, it was at the 'Turks Head' in Alston, Cumbria. Our paths crossed on a number of subesequent occasions and there was always time for a chat and a 'catch-up'. He was one of the few 'true gentleman' and I'm sure he will be sadly missed. My thoughts and condolences to those he left behind.

My father-in-law sadly passed away on Saturday 6th December 2014, whilst my wife and mother-in-law were by his side. He was diagnosed with a brain tumour and passed away peacefully. He was an inspiration to me and many others, a devoted husband, father and terrific grandpa to my children. We miss him and will continue to do so. He was loved by us all.

So sorry to hear this. I recall doing two caches in his name - "Isn't that nice! [borders]" (GCGA81) in Gretna and at the time, had taken over "Round Turn & Two Half Hitches" (GC6DAE) at the top of the Hardknot Pass. Looking at his profile, I see I've found another couple of his: "Long Meg [Cumbria]" (GCD6C2) and "Brig o'Doon [Ayr]" (GCG614). I have thoroughly enjoyed finding all of these and although my interaction with John was minimal, it was always friendly, and he usually added a little bit of education in his responses regarding the virtuals.

Rest in Peace.

I am really sad to hear this, I knew John through many mail exchanges over the years although I never had the opportunity to meet in person. He was a genuinely nice person who was always helpful and a real gentleman. My condolences to his family, he was held in high regard by even those who had the briefest of acquaintances with him.