Top ten, Northern, NJ?

The Frantic Cachers

Actually, its a good question and one dear to my heart because 90 percent of my finds are in northern NJ. I'm not one to travel far just to look for a cache. There was a thread that discussed the best caches in the northeast, but not one limited to northern NJ. I'm too lazy to provide the links, but here are my top 10 northern NJ caches in no particular order:

NY/NJ Multi State Multi Cache (great hike, beautiful area)

Windbeam's Windfall (outstanding views)

The Splitrock Splendor (challenging hunt..stage two is a bear, great hike)

Wanaque Overlook (Nice hike, fantastic view)

Sierra Bravo 05 - The Stone Living Room (interesting living room,nice view)

Spring 2002 Metro Area Picnic cache (another nice hike)

GC5 (tough to get to, but fun)

Balderdash (a great concept and a fun hunt)

The Cauldrons of Courage (another great Artful Dodger hide)

Roo2 (nice hike. Fun rock scramble)

Needful Things VII (interesting, forgotten historic spot)

Oops, that's 11. I can't choose 1 to remove, so I'll go with that.

Two NJ caches that would have made my list, but really aren't in northern NJ are Melvin's Multiple Madness and Wheretogo? Vertigo!.

Four that have great reps and I'm sure would be on my list if I had found them are Alluvial Material, The Giant Stairs, Aye Carrumba! and Graffiti Rock Ramble. They are all near the top of my to-do list

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 29, 2003 at 01:41 PM.]

Good question - the answer always changes. Here's some of my favorites (again, in no order and there's probably some I'm forgetting):

Graffiti Rock Ramble

Magoo's Mile

Goose Island

Passaic Hideaway

Terrace Pond

Smokey's Wallow

Alluvial Material

Cauldrons of Courage

Passaic River Ramble

Wierd NJ: Mansion in the Marshes (an easy virt but pretty cool when you see it)

Federal Hill (but you have to do the RR bridge crossing)

The Copper Mine Trilogy (CU-1/2/3)

Walk in the Park

Any Needful Things cache (even though I haven't found them all yet - I still like Skully's hiding style).

Night Vision was great too (but I guess is considered south/central Jersey?)

Of course, all my cache hides are Definitely Preferable to Most! icon_wink.gif

Edit: I was trying to find the link to the DPM discussion for anyone who didn't get the joke - but couldn't find it quicky...sorry!

WOW! I cant believe I have 51 finds, and 2 hides and one of my caches(ROO2), made the list of brians! I feel loved, but I did work on placing that one for A while. Look for ROO3 soon! Im in the middle of doing Ay Carumba but I would still suggest it. My top 3

NY/NJ Multi and associated caches in area

Terrace pond

GC5

quote:
Originally posted by roasteroo:

WOW! I cant believe I have 51 finds, and 2 hides and one of my caches(ROO2), made the list of brians! I feel loved, but I did work on placing that one for A while. Look for ROO3 soon! Im in the middle of doing Ay Carumba but I would still suggest it. My top 3

NY/NJ Multi and associated caches in area (COVERT002) These 2 were my second and third finds and got me hooked on the game)

Terrace pond and GC5

Windbeams waterfall

Reading Brian’s list I feel it is incomplete. There are two reasons:

1. No list of top North Jersey caches is complete without any caches by Brian. Our favorite of his active caches is Terrace Pond.

2. He ignored several good caches in the northwestern part of the state (near Delaware Water Gap). No list would be complete without Dreamcatcher. There are 24 account(s) watching this cache, a quick check does not show any other north Jersey cache that has more than 10 watching. Dreamcatcher and adjacent Sunfish Pond are particularly beautiful in foliage season.

Another good cache in northwest Jersey is The Love Shack and Beyond.

Please consider the three good ones that we have hid in northwest Jersey.

quote:
Waterboy With Wife (www)

Please consider the three good ones that we have hid in northwest Jersey.

Considered and placed at the top of my list. (at least the one that I went to)

Rutherford View

Terrace Pond

BOLP III

Balls

Chimney Rock 2003 (if you include the side trips to the hawk watch and the falls)

796.51 (Just for a change of pace)

quote:
That looks like a good cache Brian... I might have to attempt it this weekend if I get some time. There's a TB that needs to move too since it's been there over 2 months now.

Don't forget to get GC5 while you're up there (hehehehehe). Also, Team Magster has a nice cache that isn't too far away. Makes for a nice loop hike. Terrace Pond, Magster's Bearfort Mountain cache, then GC5 is a good route.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

I want to thank you guys for your quick responses. For Hart, I have tried Balderdash to no avail twice and I will attempt it again. The problem with that cache wasn't the actual stages of the cache but finding the cache itself. I will definately not be giving up considering 2 have found it since my last attempt. Back to the topic...I do plan on hitting as many as I can in all of your top 10 lists, the problem only being finding the time. Unfortunately my son is a bit to small to do most if not all and my wife is getting upset that I am caching without her. Since I rarely have a weekend off, its hard to find a babysitter during the week for both the little guy and our 9 yr old. Anyways I don't know how this babble was on topic, but I typed it and now I am going to post it so if you read this sorry. Hope to meet you guys on the trails sometime.

DPM.jpg

Yeah, we mostly gave you the tougher ones, but I see you had the time to do my Butler Reservoir cache. Congrads for being one of the few to complete that one!

Some of the ones on my list aren't long hikes. Windbeam's Windfall is a short, but very steep climb (by NJ standards). My Terrace Pond cache can be done in under 2 hours, even with kids. In fact they will have fun with the rock scrambles.

The Stone Living Room is another kid friendly cache.

OK, one of the resident Central Jersey cachers checking in:

Past and Present, in no order or relevance, Top 10 North Jersey Caches as found or attempted by Team Ekitt10.

1. Security NJ aka You Are the Cache (North NJ)

2 & 3. Wildcat Ridge - Hawk Watch

followed by Graffiti Rock Ramble (You gotta do these together!)

4. Wheretogo?Vertigo! It's not exactly north of the official-unofficial border between North and South Jersey, the Raritan River, ... nor is it South of the river, but that's another story. icon_wink.gif

5. Steeps over Greenbrook, great rock face and a very nice hike, especially when put together with the nearby Reservation cache. (BTW, this was no find for me, but I'll still recommend it.)

6. The Copper Mine Series, three for the price of one, although cache one is probably the best of them all, it's another good set of caches to plan your day around.

7. Manunka Chunk Tunnels abandoned train tunnels built in the 1800's. Plus it's only a few miles from Hot Dog Johnny's!!! icon_smile.gif

8. The Giant's Stairs, the Palisades Rock! Go there, NOW! Lot's of nice caches in the area.

9. Stone Living Room, Weird NJ at it best. A must find. Do the letterbox in ther area while your there too.

10. Picture This, probably a little more Central and West Jersey, but another interesting adventure.

Ghost of the past: The White Manna icon_wink.gif

Don't forget to check these threads too:

Favorite, Toughest, Most Interesting Caches Greatest Caches of the Northeast & Your favorite cache placed in the Northeast.

Oh yeah, another Central Jersey type of cache, but don't forget Magoo's Memories of Merit, whenever someone mentions the best cache in NJ, the caches on this list always seem to get plugged. (Sorry for the indirect shameless plug icon_smile.gif)

I am not from new Jersey, but I have cherry picked those that meet my preferences and are close to New York, which would be a tough hike, a wild place and a good view. My list would be :

Aye Caramba!

New York/New Jersey Multi-State Multi-Cache

Smokey's Wallow

Middle'aNowhere

Giant Stairs

Spring 2002 NY NJ Geocachers Picnic Cache

GC5

Covert-002

Wanaque Overlook

Windbeams Windfall

Here goes, now I have a few under my belt:

In no particular order:

Ground Zero by Kber an interesting offset cache.

Melvin's Multiple Madness by Marty621 it just plain sick.

Night Sweats by Hartclimbs fun in the dark.

Cauldrons of Courage by The Artful Dodger great themed cache, I choose poorly.

Wyanokie Highpointby BrianSnat and Skigirl43 great climb to a panoramic view.

Edisons Dark Hole Cache by Treequest if you like crawling in the dark.

Secaucus Panorama by Marty621 quintissential sopranos New Jersey.

Passaic Hidaway by The Artful Dodger (assist to BrianSnat) walk thru a floodplain.

A Walk in the Park by BrianSnat easy walk in an interesting swamp.

Go Copper Mining (CU1) By John Lambert, all three are in interesting spots.

Favorite event:

Murder Mystery: Tourne Asunder

:unsure:

Four that have great reps and I'm sure would be on my list if I had found them are Alluvial Material, The Giant Stairs, Aye Carrumba! and Graffiti Rock Ramble. They are all near the top of my to-do list

I've found these since I made the above post a year and a half ago and they definitely belong on my top 10 list. Can't imagine which ones I'd take off to keep it at 10 though.

I had to give this some thought. I'm still a neophyte, with only 307 finds (and a number of them are not in North Jersey). Interesting, challenging, or otherwise just great fun:

Secaucus Panorama

Balderdash

Sierra Brave-05-Stone Living Room

"Steeps Over Greenbrook"

GC5

Valley View Lookout

The Science Prodject

No Hints Bridges The Gap Definitely preferred this one to Dreamcatcher.

Smokey's Wallow

Terrace Pond Of course, this was my first cache, and it's just off the trail that I maintain. :blink:

Then there's the one I have to go back to find: Alluvial Material

We won't talk about the only one I've ever completely given up on: Five Star New York. But that's not in North Jersey. :unsure:

Edited by Harry Dolphin

I only have a little over 200+ finds… So this is my top 10 list...

ALCATRAZ by trail hound (GCMTZ4)

Longwood's Humbled Giant by treequest (GCMVTX)

No Hints Bridges the Gap by Waterboy With Wife (GCB7A1)

Dreamcatcher by RAT Team 6 (GC5F8)

Helispot by Waterboy with Wife (www) (GC276E

Maneater by BrianSnat & Skigirl43 (GCMYE7)

Old Glory Jr. - NJ Style by Skully & Mulder et al. (GCGN18)

Longwood's Humbled Giant by treequest (GCMVTX)

Valley View Lookout by BASM (GCH1FF)

Boulderdash! by BrianSnat (GCMPV4)

Alluvial Material by Team Epitome (GC2039)

And how I can forget about,"TRL's Pain In The Cache Series". All 10 of theese caches are fun.

I've only found a few so far, but my top ten out of those would be:

1: Edison's Dark Rock Cache

2: Evil Little Man, Deep in the Woods

3: Terrace Pond North

4: Fluffy Pink Bunnies

5: Cauldrons of Courage

6: Three Block Falls

7: Terrace Pond South

8: Edison's Grand View

9: 1481 A Passaic County High Point

10: Shave and a Haircut (first one I did. good only for sentimental reasons)

I've gotta put in my personal endorsement for 'Edisons Dark Rock Cache'. I did it today (see log for details and pics!) and it was awesome. Even if you go the wrong way at first and come out frustrated, as I did, you can see your error quickly and you just get to spend some extra time underground. And while you're there, you can pick up the (relatively easy) earthcache by taking your picture with the Edison monument and hunting for magnetic rocks as you walk among the ruins of the mining area.