Container out in the open

beetsprouts

I happened to check on one of my caches today, and as I approached GZ, there was the container, right out in the open in a very high muggle area. It's a LPC, but a recent finder hadn't put it back underneath. The container is novelty-shaped, and would definitely catch the eye of passerby. But there it was! I'm sure it would have gone missing very soon if I hadn't gone there today. Really surprised it wasn't taken. Estimating by the last several log entries, it must have been exposed for at least 35 hours.

Recently I went for a cache. I found it laying out exposed on the ground between two small fallen trees. Clearly visible, no attempt to hide. I was shocked but even more so when I saw who had done that. Previous cacher was only about an hour ahead of me and was a well-known, high-numbers local cacher. I hid "better than found" for sure. Often we assume newbies are doing things like that but...you'd be surprised. I sure was. Never would have expected that from such an experienced cacher. But maybe she had a lot on her mind and left in a rush or something? :(

I saw one out in the open in the woods. There were multiple possible correct hiding spots. I chose one and placed it there, offering in my log to tell the CO the details. No reply, so I guess all is well. :yikes:

I chose a medium difficulty tree cache, expecting a good climb from the rating and photos. No - it had "migrated" down to 6 feet up from the ground. I climbed and placed it where it belonged (35 feet up) and told the story in the log.

Recently I went for a cache. I found it laying out exposed on the ground between two small fallen trees. Clearly visible, no attempt to hide. I was shocked but even more so when I saw who had done that. Previous cacher was only about an hour ahead of me and was a well-known, high-numbers local cacher. I hid "better than found" for sure. Often we assume newbies are doing things like that but...you'd be surprised. I sure was. Never would have expected that from such an experienced cacher. But maybe she had a lot on her mind and left in a rush or something? :(

I would say that more numbers cachers do this than new cachers. Cache be darned, getting the smiley as quick as possible is the most important thing for some cachers. :(

I had a cache that was placed between to sides of a Welcome to sign. It was hanging by a small hook. No one could see it. The neighboring business who had a great view of the cache site and cachers trying to find it, and even helped cachers find it. Then one day a storm came through and blew off one side of the sign. A cacher told me they could see my cache from the street. I almost didn't believe it until we drove by it one day. Sure enough it was still hanging in plain view. It stayed that way for a long time. When finally it disappeared I moved the location to (yuck) a lampstand.

Edited by jellis

When the previous finder mentions hornets, wasps, bees, snakes, etc you can pretty much assume the container is laying out in the open with all of its contents scattered.

Odd, most times we hear of bees (which include wasps and hornets) they're usually on guard rail or lpc hides, with the container intact.

When the previous finder mentions hornets, wasps, bees, snakes, etc you can pretty much assume the container is laying out in the open with all of its contents scattered.

Odd, most times we hear of bees (which include wasps and hornets) they're usually on guard rail or lpc hides, with the container intact.

In Maryland hornets tend to live near the ground in dead wood. Three times this year we were at GZ and one of us must have stepped on a hive/nest. They all attack at once and there isn't much you can do but run. I at least wait until they calm down before going back to finish the cache. Other cachers keep on running...

I feel bad for my son. He is only 5 years old and has been stung by at least 9 hornets this year. Better hornets than ticks though...

In Maryland hornets tend to live near the ground in dead wood. Three times this year we were at GZ and one of us must have stepped on a hive/nest. They all attack at once and there isn't much you can do but run. I at least wait until they calm down before going back to finish the cache. Other cachers keep on running...

I feel bad for my son. He is only 5 years old and has been stung by at least 9 hornets this year. Better hornets than ticks though...

Okay, now that you explained further, it makes sense.

Folks scoot and leave the cache in whatever condition the "attack" occurred.

We have yellow jackets (wasps) that nest in the ground, sometimes at/near dead wood.

But have never heard of caches left in disarray due to 'em.

Could be a cacher not replacing it properly.

Could be moved by an animal. (OK, LPC, not that likely!)

Could be 'someone' who has found the app, and isn't really caching...

We have a few numbers cachers locally who are not noted for hiding cache back the proper way.

Which leads to the second problem: Bear chew toys!

Please put the rock back in front of the cache!