Are Chirp dependent geocache's accepted?

HackAMen

The previous Chirp related post got me thinking.

If I create a cache where the user needs to access a Chirp to get the final co-ords deemed legal, are reviewers going to take issue with one if they have not seen it before?

I thought there was a guidance where external or third party tools / software is not allowed.

Thanks

Wil

If I create a cache where the user needs to access a Chirp to get the final co-ords deemed legal, are reviewers going to take issue with one if they have not seen it before?

I thought there was a guidance where external or third party tools / software is not allowed.

Thanks

Wil

Well since there is an attribute for beacons the answer is yes. I think the only issue is mentioning chirp I certain ways would be deemed commercial since it's usable on Garmin units. But the use of the chirp is allowed.

Edited by T.D.M.22

The Help Center has more information about Beacon Geocaches.

Sooooo, if I create a beacon where the player needs to use the information from the Chirp to work out the GZ, is that a mystery or a puzzle cache?

Mystery/Puzzle/Challenge caches all use the "?" so it doesn't matter what you call it...If the Chirp is required to solve/locate a cache (with no alternative method to solve) then you must use the "?" cache type.

Sooooo, if I create a beacon where the player needs to use the information from the Chirp to work out the GZ, is that a mystery or a puzzle cache?

"Mystery" and "Puzzle" are the same thing.

You might want to peruse the Guidelines and the Help Center articles a few times.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.18. Mystery/Puzzle

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277

Guidelines

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#mystery

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I think the only issue is mentioning chirp I certain ways would be deemed commercial since it's usable on Garmin units.

My Samsung Galaxy S5 is capable of receiving Chirp and I know there are other Android smartphones which also support Ant+. So it's not a Garmin-only thing anymore.

I think the only issue is mentioning chirp I certain ways would be deemed commercial since it's usable on Garmin units.

My Samsung Galaxy S5 is capable of receiving Chirp and I know there are other Android smartphones which also support Ant+. So it's not a Garmin-only thing anymore.

My Galaxy S4 supports Ant+ I think. I haven't the slightest idea how I would use the technology to "read" a chirp beacon. Will you enlighten this curious cacher?

According to this website, the S4 does support Ant+.

If your phone supports Ant+, you need these drivers. On my S5 they were pre-installed:

Ant Radio Service

ANT+ Plugin Service

These drivers run only when needed, so there's no extra battery drain or so.

The app needed for reading chirp is ANT+ Plugin Sampler.

Thanks! The first 2 apps you mentioned were preintalled on my s4 also. So when I get close to a chirp, I just open that last mentiomed app and it will receive the signal message?

Edited by St.Matthew

Thanks

Wil

The difference between a Chirp cache and some other cache that might require a third party tool/software is that a chirp cache doesn't require downloading a specific piece of software, perhaps something that might contain a trojan horse or something equally nefarious. There are several GPS receivers that can be used without downloading anything and other means for detecting a chirp. What GS is trying to prevent is the creation of a cache which requires downloading a specific piece of software that might contain a virus or requiring users to go to a specific web site that requires a login or has commercial solicitations.

"Mystery" and "Puzzle" are the same thing.

You might want to peruse the Guidelines and the Help Center articles a few times.

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.18. Mystery/Puzzle

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=277

Guidelines

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#mystery

B.

Nice one, thanks

So when I get close to a chirp, I just open that last mentiomed app and it will receive the signal message?

Yes. Open the app and select Geocache Utility (scroll down to find it, it's the 12th item from above). Then the app will search for chirps.

Super helpful. Thanks so much!

I had success using this method with my Galaxy S4.

I was expecting an audible notice but there was not. When I got near to the chirp a message came up that said something like "tims chirp" and a sort string of numbers. You need to tap that to get the page of info with coordinates and hint to appear. You will then need to manually load those coordinates.