Average and Find Waypoints

Rakid Olson

I read over the instructions on how to average waypoints several times, but I still do not understand it. I am unaware of how to first find the coordinates of the location that you are placing your cache on whatever device you are using, and how to average these coordinates. Would someone explain those things, and devices I could use to average waypoints, as if I was, i don't know, a fourteen year old?

I read over the instructions on how to average waypoints several times, but I still do not understand it. I am unaware of how to first find the coordinates of the location that you are placing your cache on whatever device you are using, and how to average these coordinates. Would someone explain those things, and devices I could use to average waypoints, as if I was, i don't know, a fourteen year old?

It's pretty tough to explain without knowing exactly what device you are using.

Can't even point you to a user manual.

What instructions did you read that you don't understand?

B.

Yeah ... it would be good to know what device you're using.... or which app. Basically you need a hand-held GPS unit, or an App in a GPS capable smart phone.

Most will have a function to "mark" a waypoint and it will save that somewhere in the device's memory. Some will "average" the numbers for you and save the averaged waypoint.

If there isn't a specific function to "average", you can do the same by "Marking" the spot several times over time ... some go so far as to say over days, but I usually do it over a few minutes.

Then go to where the waypoints are saved, write them down somewhere and average the last 3 digits of both N and W segments (keeping N and W separate) of all the waypoints you have marked, and use those as the last three digits of the waypoint as your cache site.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

Dig through your screens and owners manual, looking for references to waypoint averaging. Since I started in 2007, all of my gps devices have had a way yo do this (all Garmin).

The other method of taking several readings over time and averaging the readings is also very serviceable.

I like to use the device method because I don't trust my math and am forever losing my notes. The device method can take several minutes, but it has never failed me.

Cache Happy

I am using a Garmin Dakota 10 and it simply has a feature called "Waypoint averaging" where it simply creates a new waypoint and then averages that taking one coordinate mark every 1 second if I remember it right. I have used this a few times when placing caches and in most logs people mention that the coordinates are great :)

/Samuel