Greatest Caches of the Northeast

Team OUTSID4EVR

I think this would be a good place to recognize the truly great caches in the Northeast. I'm referring to caches that you remember long after you've done dozens of drive-ups. It would be cool to provide a link to the cache you mention, so we can all check it out. Let's show appreciation for those special caches (And hopefully encourage more).

I'll start by recognizing the Fair Hill Multicache. MAJELLIN and I were the last finders of this cache. If you have not tried it, go ahead! Each stage is well planned, and hidden in a creative way. You will do a decent amount of walking to complete the cache. If you're doing it for the numbers, there are some single caches located along the route that you could find as well. We really enjoyed our day at Fair Hill. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by OUTSID4EVR on March 06, 2003 at 01:49 PM.]

Thanks for starting this thread, OUTSIDE4EVR. I didn't want to intrude on the New Jersey thread, but felt like recognizing some very worthy caches. My nomination for the Northeast Hall of Fame is the Thousand Steps Cache, our 100th find, and coincidentally found by you as the next finder. It's a pleasure to be in the same logbook! This is a great "destination cache"... you won't be disappointed, even after driving several hours to get there.

For honorable mentions, see any cache hidden by Quest Master (yes, they are ALL that good) or any of the other geocaches featured on The Leprechauns' Top 10% Greatest Cache Hunts list.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

I was formerly employed by the Department of Redundancy Department, but I don't work there anymore.

Melvins Multiple Madness is my nominee. I can't think of a cache hunt that was more fun (maybe it was the company...nah!). Honorable mention goes to Windbeam's Windfall(mainly for the view) and The Splitrock Splendor simply because it's a challenging hunt in a beautiful area.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

One of yours is actually still one of my favorites and most memorable. Tuckahoe by Sea

This is the only one I've done via canoe to date and it was just a ton of fun. This was one of the earlier caches I did but it was one that made me realize just how hooked I was. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by OUTSID4EVR:

I think this would be a good place to recognize the truly great caches in the Northeast. I'm referring to caches that you remember long after you've done dozens of drive-ups. It would be cool to provide a link to the cache you mention, so we can all check it out. Let's show appreciation for those special caches (And hopefully encourage more).

I'll start by recognizing the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=9584. MAJELLIN and I were the last finders of this cache. If you have not tried it, go ahead! Each stage is well planned, and hidden in a creative way. You will do a decent amount of walking to complete the cache. If you're doing it for the numbers, there are some single caches located along the route that you could find as well. We really enjoyed our day at Fair Hill. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by OUTSID4EVR on March 06, 2003 at 01:49 PM.]

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

I agree with the Leprechauns that the 1000 Steps is a must do. Also, the Hook Challenge and the Brush Mountain caches were two of my favorites. Both of these get very few visitors, are in awsome places, take just about all day to complete, and every log has a great story.

Another one up for my honerable mention would be the Hawk-3 cache by Hawk-eye. I hiked it the first time, then drove my jeep across the mountain the second time...had a blast!

Whatever happened to Hawk-eye? He use to post quite often.

Salvelinus

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

I like the good hikes when it comes to caching (which isn't too often lately, unfortunately).

I still have good memories from the New York/New Jersey Multistate Multicache by Waterboy. Great hike, good views, uncrowded trail. It baffles me why this cache hasnt had more seekers. icon_confused.gif

My other favorite's are from BrianSnat's lot:

Pyramid Mountain Roaming Cache because you become both the seeker and hider. I like that concept. Not to mention a good hike, too.

Terrace Pond for great vistas, ponds..

Bottom of Lake Passaic III for its unpredictable terrain at times icon_biggrin.gif

One that immediately comes to mind is Cary Mountain, by Rich in NEPA. It involves a long and terrific hike, all stages are very well thought out (I would expect nothing less of Rich!) and the views are amazing. I had a beautiful day for my hike, and ran into a few surprises along the way (one of them, in fact, ran into me). The whole experience was a true pleasure. This spot soon became one of my absolute favorite places, and I've returned many times since. Thanks, R! icon_biggrin.gif

~Zhanna~

Salvelinus,

Hawk-eye is now working as the Tecnical Director for a China furniture company. I am afraid we won't be hearing much from him.

I don't know when I'll get out caching again. I am up to my neck with fish and work. It was -4 this morning and nothing wanted to work including my frozen toes.

Buzz

This is tough. We know our first three choices, but also know that they will never win a popularity contest. What are we looking for. We are looking for:

1. A good work out to get the cache. An option to return by a different route is desirable.

2. Nice scenery.

3. A well coordinated cache, showing that the creator put a good effort into making the cache.

4. Good possibility to see wildlife.

Our first three choice are good workouts with good scenery. All located in the northeast corner of the northeastern states. Or more precisely, in the Adirondacks. First is Leonid Cache by markus. Tied for second and third are GOODNOW MOUNTAIN CACHE by BobSr and Wanikaminplay Mountain Cache by Jethro. As far a popularity contests go these three rough cache will never win. Goodnow is the most popular with four finders. We are the only finders to date for the Wanikaminplay cache.

For areas closer to home for most of our more active forum members we will pick two Rich in NEPA caches for the best. The primary reason we pick Rich’s is the effort he puts into them. His caches are loaded with his homemade gifts. We rarely recall what gifts we pick up at caches, except for Rich’s caches. Our favorite cache south of the Adirondacks is Cary Mountain followed closely by Seven Tubs. Cary Mt is the better workout, but seven tubs is the more beautiful area.

The cache that we found to be the best workout in Harriman Park is Herbert Mine cache by Lara Croft. Our favorite in Harriman is pm|_ by c_n|njA, which unfortunately is unavailable at present, but we hope the cache ninja will correct that.

Other good ones are:

The Love Shack and Beyond by renegadejane

Covert-002 by CovertGPS

(CoFR) Sticks and Stones by Manimal, Mystique & Monty

Pyramid Mtn. Roaming Cache by BrianSnat

Pocono Mountain Geocache by Timberland

The SplitRock Splendor ! by The Artful Dodger and SomethingAboutMary was found by Waterboy Without Wife. It should be mentioned among the great caches, even without the wife’s okay.

Two new creators of caches that should be recognized for outstanding jobs are "Juanbob n Sparky" and "deadhorsepoint". Juanbob’s Foul Rift is located on privately owned property, open to the public. It is a well organized cache in a beautiful area. Deadhorsepoint created two strenuous caches, Pingyp and Ramapo Torne in beautiful Harriman Park.

The NY/NJ Geocaching Picnic Cache is also a great hike, with outstanding views nearby. I was looking through

my logs and can't believe I forgot this one.

Cachedog make a great placement and Artful Dodger did a fantastic job on the page. The contents were supplied by the attendees at last summer's picnic, so this is still probably full of great stuff.

A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big enough to take it all away. -Barry Goldwater

My nominee:

Natural Pavement by Whm3

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=19155

I packed up the family and took a trip up to the Ringing Rock Park in Bucks County PA. to visit this park & cache. It is the home of the famous Ringing Rocks that make different musical tones when they are struck with hammers or other metal instruments. After enjoying the rocks for a while we continued deeper into the park for the cache. We were happy to find one of the most beautiful public accessible waterfalls and a well hidden cache nearby. Overall the park was a great family pleaser and the clever cache placement near the falls makes it my favorite cache so far. icon_smile.gif

Njski...

If anyone has the occasion to come to Massachusetts, I would highly recommend The Depot by Chooch.

It's the longest hike I've taken so far for a cache, roughly 3/10 of a mile. The trail cuts off through the woods and you do have to do a little bit of scrabbling over large rocks, etc. The trail is marked by road signs in Icelandic and small birdhouses.

The end of the trail leads to a large area the cache-master has created, including a working model railroad trestle and small village scenes. Any description I might give can't do it justice.

If you get up this way, enjoy it. You won't be disappointed.

quote:
Originally posted by Zoraima:

If anyone has the occasion to come to Massachusetts, I would highly recommend http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12766.

I concur! This is a great cache in a very nice area. The rock scrambles are very cool in this area, and the Depot is worth the detour if you happen to be anywhere south-west of Boston!

For some reason Myst comes to mind when I think of that cache.

If you ever happen to be in the Northern Virginia area, I would have to put a plug in for Cannon Fire this cache gives a significant mental challange. If you happen to make the same mistake that we made, you might even learn a little civil war history. icon_wink.gif

I just visited the Uniontown, PA, area over the weekend, and though I only did two caches there, Sand Quarry blew away pretty much every other cache I've seen. If this isn't one of the best caches in the northeast, then I need to move up there to see what I'm missing.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

I made a big decision a little while ago.

I don't remember what it was, which prob'ly goes to show

That many times a simple choice can prove to be essential

Even though it often might appear inconsequential. -- Bill Watterson

We would like to add two caches we found recently to the list of great caches of the areas.

The first one is Hochste GebirgscRegion Der Berks Grafschaft by Schneeberg Wasserman. It is a nice hike on the Appalachian with a significant bushwhack. Mr. Wasserman puts a lot of work into his caches. You will find a beautifully hand painted ammo can loaded with the best of goodies.

A week ago we would never have thought we would consider a virtual for this honored list. (As of a week ago we had never found a virtual.) GPS Guy with his Aircrash 3 has changed that. This is a beautiful, long hike to an interesting location high in the Catskills.

quote:
A week ago we would never have thought we would consider a virtual for this honored list. (As of a week ago we had never found a virtual.) GPS Guy with his Aircrash 3 has changed that. This is a beautiful, long hike to an interesting location high in the Catskills.

I must agree with Waterboy. Aircrash 3 was one of the best cache hunts I ever experienced, virtual or real. The funny thing is that normally we'd be looking for an ammo box, or Rubbermaid container at the end of the hike. In this case it was an entire Cessna (or similar plane) and it still took 5 of us a good bit of time to find the sucker. The hike there was fantastic and the search was very challenging and that's what this sport is all about, isn't it?

Strangely enough, this cache was posted some 10 months ago and had gone unfound. The day before we bagged it, another group of geocachers found it. Go figure!

Simply put, this is what a virtual cache should be. Find it and you'll really earn your geocaching "wings".