Release Notes - December 2, 2014

<cynical>For Groundspeak it's more profitable that people buy new trackables when they get losts. It's in their interest the trackables get lost and are never found again.</cynical>

I don't think that is the case at all. Quite the contrary - if lots of people lose their trackables, the trackables side game dies. Groundspeak prospers only if the trackable side game is successful and people enjoy seeing their trackables travel far and wide.

Well now...this development explains to me why the friends to whom I recently introduced Geocaching are having so much trouble. I recently spent two weeks in Florida, going out on twelve of those days with relatives and/or muggle friends, most of whom are above 50 years old. Only about 20% of them had smartphones. Several were really excited about it, and I explained the various ways that they could participate. Last summer I started geocaching using ONLY the website, the non-premium login, and Google Earth (gasp! yep, we found the majority of our first 30 caches without any sort of GPSr OR phone), so I told them they could do that, too. Three of them became frustrated with the website and I couldn't figure out why; now I know.

I understand about the marketing aspects of "majority rule" and all that, but I was amazed at all the VERY active (and marketable) older population who have eschewed smartphones and love getting out in nature for new adventures.

I understand about the marketing aspects of "majority rule" and all that, but I was amazed at all the VERY active (and marketable) older population who have eschewed smartphones and love getting out in nature for new adventures.

+1

Whenever I sign up for some new "senior" benefit, I hear around the same lines, of an increasingly aging population, that's living longer.