SWPA Geocaching Safety

Green Toad

I'm originally from Florida and have only lived in SWPA for two years. As such, I am not familiar with the hunting and wildlife safety concerns of the area. I had hoped to bring up my concerns at the Jennings Wing-Ding, but was unable to make the trip.

I know that I can find out when hunting season is in force, but I am unsure of how to find out where people hunt in the area.

Also, the wildlife in the area is vastly different from what I am used to. Where I am from, bears are rare of and any type of 'cat' is unheard of. I'm not in Florida anymore.

When I'm geocaching or hiking in the wilderness in SWPA, what kind of wildlife/hunting concerns should I be aware of? Are there certain areas that I should avoid during certain times of the year?

What kind of recommendations would you give to a recent transplant that is unfamiliar with the wilderness in the area?

-Stroh

-Technology...I have no idea what I would do without my GPSr, my TiVo, or my Computer with a broadband connection. I guess I would spend more time with my wife! icon_smile.gif

The advice is the same everywhere. Wear something in safety orange, if only a hat. Last year I purchased a orange vest for about $5 after coming around a bend after placing a cache and seeing a guy sitting there with a shotgun.

Also, if you hear gunshots in the area, go for another cache.

You can also shout "I am not a deer" every 30 seconds, but that may pi$$ off the hunters.

Finally, DO NOT wear a sude jacket and tie branches to your head and walk around in the woods. This is very important.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on September 08, 2003 at 04:59 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

The advice is the same everywhere. Wear You can also shout "I am not a deer" every 30 seconds, but that may **** off the hunters.

Also, DO NOT wear a sude jacket and tie branches to your head and walk around in the woods. This is very important.

I fell off my chair laughing. I'll be thinking about this for days!!! LOL - thank you Brian!!!