Newbie in need of help

peasemold

I've recently started caching, bought an Oregon 450. I set up a PQ and loaded it to the GPS, but I find there's massive duplication of entries.

Is there aqny way I can weed out the duplicates?

Is there any chance that the GPS was preloaded with caches or loaded caches into it manually? A PQ shouldn't give duplicate entries.

I've only loaded one PQ, and did it using EasyGPS. The PQ contained 500 caches . . . .

Can you sort by Name/Distance?

I think you can sort by GC code as well, that is really the unique identifier that the computer (yes the GPS is a computer) should be looking for.

Your PQ shouldn't have duplicates in it, and I think EasyGPS can sort them out as well as the GPS being able to sort out duplicates.

I know nothing about Garmin, but this doesn't make much sense. Any chance they only look like duplicates but are actually different caches whose names all start with the same text?

And there's the answer.

I've just looked through and discovered that the one I'd really noticed is a series that contains - at last count - 96 caches.

Thanks for your help, folks - don't you just hate newbies? :rolleyes:

I know nothing about Garmin, but this doesn't make much sense. Any chance they only look like duplicates but are actually different caches whose names all start with the same text?

And there's the answer.

I've just looked through and discovered that the one I'd really noticed is a series that contains - at last count - 96 caches.

Glad we were able to find the issue.

Actually you were willing to answer questions so we don't mind.

And there's the answer.

Those kinds of caches are treacherous, where you arrive in an area and all of the cache names are the same, as cropped off by the GPS screen. The good news is if you're using special loading software, you might be able to adjust the cache names in advance of sending it to the GPSr, for readability.