Suspicious Description

DzyMsLizzy

Hello, all!

I am brand new, and the list of rules and regulations are pretty extensive, somewhat confusing, and mind-blowing! A tough learning curve, to be sure, for this "old dog."

However, I was reading through the list of beginner-level caches for my area, and found one I suspect of having been placed without proper permission, for the description/clue read (paraphrased here): Be careful here, the levee patrol is onto this cache, so be sure you leave it where it was so they don't muggle it.

That, to me, seems a tacit admission that the cache was placed somewhere without permission, or why would that be a concern?

I suspect, and if I were a gambling sort, I'd lay money on the idea that a great many, if not a significant majority of caches are placed without regard to this rule. I just don't see public officials happily dancing to the tune of umpteen requests for permission all over their cities and towns, on top of all their other responsibilities.

Thanks for any insight/advice.

Edited by DzyMsLizzy

While permissions is required for all caches, there are some people who subscribe by the frisbee rule; That is if you don't need to ask permission to at frisbee (or soccer, or whatever) then why should geocaching be any different?

You also have to remember even if there is permission some places may have a lot of employees- even with permission from one person there could be others who do not know for whatever reason.

And there are also bad pee out there- the security guard who knows you have permission may think you're up to no good.

A parks department official told me that I could hide geocaches in the parks he managed, but that the parks department would accept no responsibility for the geocaches or their contents, even if park employees found and disposed of them.

That's an example of adequate permission, where you still don't want to attract undue attention to the cache's location.

That, to me, seems a tacit admission that the cache was placed somewhere without permission, or why would that be a concern?
Sometimes a park / land manager will give permission for caches ... but another group or individual (volunteer, people doing trail maintenance / clean up, etc.) will take it upon themselves to remove caches. No clue about the cache mentioned by the OP ... but I have seen this situation locally. Park gives permission for caches ... but volunteers doing trail maintenance will remove said caches (if they find them) ...

I just don't see public officials happily dancing to the tune of umpteen requests for permission all over their cities and towns, on top of all their other responsibilities.

There are a lot of areas where those in charge have a Geocache policy in place. You don't always have to ask before placing a cache, as long as your cache meets their policy.

Many places are aware of geocaching, but have no specific policy. As long as there is no problems cause by the cache they really don't care. (the Frisbee rule?)

Every one of my caches have permission under these circumstances.

If you can find a local geocaching club, or maybe meet some people who have been in the game for a while, you can find out what your local city, county, parks, etc. have for policy.

I just don't see public officials happily dancing to the tune of umpteen requests for permission all over their cities and towns, on top of all their other responsibilities.

This doesn't go to your main question, but you'd be surprised. Some park systems and some municipalities have a written geocaching policy and even a form to apply for/register the cache. Most places are free. A good idea, really, because every now and then there's a bomb scare caused by a geocache. If the town has a list of cache locations, that might prevent panic when a concerned citizen reports bizarre behavior.

Hello, all!

I am brand new, and the list of rules and regulations are pretty extensive, somewhat confusing, and mind-blowing! A tough learning curve, to be sure, for this "old dog."

However, I was reading through the list of beginner-level caches for my area, and found one I suspect of having been placed without proper permission, for the description/clue read (paraphrased here): Be careful here, the levee patrol is onto this cache, so be sure you leave it where it was so they don't muggle it.

I suspect, and if I were a gambling sort, I'd lay money on the idea that a great many, if not a significant majority of caches are placed without regard to this rule. I just don't see public officials happily dancing to the tune of umpteen requests for permission all over their cities and towns, on top of all their other responsibilities.

Thanks for any insight/advice.

The Levee patrol. Sounds like a Homeland security issue there. Utility control devices, water works power distribution and a whole host of systems have been put on alert.

Here in the Minneapolis, MN area some caches were put on signs along a public road. Seems like no problem huh? Very big problem resulted, right in front of Minneapolis Water supply.

All caches had to be pulled along that road about two miles worth. Suspicious activity would result in arrest.

If the area is open to the public and does not have a geocache policy, then permission is considered adequate. However it sounds like the levee patrol may not want the cache there, indicating a geocache policy, so your instincts may be correct.

That pretty much summarizes the previously mentioned "Frisbee rule", which many of us old-timers subscribe to. And I totally agree with 4WF's first sentence.

By the way, and I'm half joking, half serious here, just about every cache pages where the cache owner feels compelled to write something along the lines of "watch for muggles" is pretty much an admission of the cache being placed without permission. :)

If the area is open to the public and does not have a geocache policy, then permission is considered adequate. However it sounds like the levee patrol may not want the cache there, indicating a geocache policy, so your instincts may be correct.

That pretty much summarizes the previously mentioned "Frisbee rule", which many of us old-timers subscribe to. And I totally agree with 4WF's first sentence.

By the way, and I'm half joking, half serious here, just about every cache pages where the cache owner feels compelled to write something along the lines of "watch for muggles" is pretty much an admission of the cache being placed without permission. :)

I could see that if it's "watch for security or employees", but if it's just generic non cachers, then I don't agree with that. You can have a cache in a park and say, "watch out for non cachers" and still have permission.

I'm not sure if I agree with that statement. There are a lot of places where there is a great deal of non-cacher traffic, "muggles," and even with permission, (including your cited "fribsee rule"), where that could be a problem with the cache remaining undisturbed, so I would not think a "muggles" warning would indicate lack of permission on its own. It was only because the post in my original question specifically stated, "levee patrol is aware of the cache, so be careful/discreet" that caught my attention.

I thank each and every one of your for your thoughtful and detailed answers.

I could see that if it's "watch for security or employees", but if it's just generic non cachers, then I don't agree with that. You can have a cache in a park and say, "watch out for non cachers" and still have permission.

Yes, watch out for muggles means that non cachers may disturb it, not the property managers. Also there are plenty of places that frisbee may not be welcome, but geocaches are, like some parking lots. My opinion is if there is a building present with employees on the property, then they ought to know about it, whether it's a nature center or a coffee shop. If nobody is working there then it should be fine wherever the public can go.

I think the point that this makes is that obtaining permission might only have a small impact on whether the cache will cause any future issues. Someone can obtain permission to place a cache in a public location, but typically that means that only a small number of non-geocachers will be aware of it's existence. The fact that permission was granted will probably not be shared with future employees and is certainly not shared with anyone in the general public. I suspect that almost every bomb scare that turns out to be a geocache is due to someone from the general public noticing "suspicious behavior" and calling the police to report it.

I had a cache placed in a State Park that was all for geocaching. As long as you follow their rules (which many don't realize are not always the same as Geocaching's rules). A State police stopped a cacher while searching for my cache and told them caches were not allowed in State Parks. When the cacher told me I contacted the State Parks and the manager of that particular park. They told me the State Police has no jurisdiction over those activities in their parks. But FYI you would have to find out which parks whether State, County, Regional or City parks allow them and which don't.