6056 Virtual logs on USA Geocoins on 11/28/14

Cascadepkr

This user has logged a discovery on over 6000 USA coins. How is this allowed? I received an email on a coin my daughter sent out many years ago that has been missing or "stolen" for 9 years.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?tx=974c6f0f-48fd-40bb-9e36-e4ef301d946f&uid=7715b8c5-bbbb-4b57-bf14-251b134758d2

On another note...I decided to check my other USA coins that have not be activated and found one that was activated by another cacher....again I have the coin in the original package along with the activation code?? How can this happen? It looks like they have activated 10 USA geocoins in a matter of a couple of days.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?tx=974c6f0f-48fd-40bb-9e36-e4ef301d946f&o=1&uid=3fa2955e-beeb-4c67-a3af-791621cdcf03

This is my coin that was activated http://coord.info/TBM9RV

Confuzzed

Older USA geocoins were simply numeric codes. And they are all in sequence. So they can just try 10000, 10001, 10002, etc and log as many as they want. Activations happen from duplicate tracking codes at the factory typically. However, again, in this case, they just pick a number, enter it into the retrieve code system from Groundspeak, and they can activate it having the numeric code and activation code.

Report this user to Groundspeak and they will take action.

TMA

Thank you all for the replies.

Do I need to send a picture of the coin that was activated to show the number on the coin?

On another note....If I were to obtain the activation code for the coins I want to keep but not activate at this time, will it keep someone from activated it by mistake or on purpose?

I delete all logs on all of my USA geocoins that are discovers without proof that the coin was actually seen. I had one that someone indicated was actually found. It was supposed to be handed over to me at GCF Vegas but never was. dry.gif So I deleted the log indicating that it had been found too. If I am privately sent a picture of the coin, time/date stamped with a current date, showing the tracking number, I will accept the log. Until then, no dice.

CF30

Trebbi isn't the only one. I had another log on my coin from Pubert2012 on 6/17/2014 (also from Germany). Of course my knickers are not in a twist, but I was wondering how the coin which is sitting in my desk draw and hasn't been out in over 4 years is suddenly getting discovered. Thanks for the info in this thread for pointing out how.

Ok I think I will try this again.

On another note...I decided to check my other USA coins that have not be activated and found one that was activated by another cacher....again I have the coin in the original package along with the activation code sitting in front of me right now. It looks like they have activated 10 USA geocoins in a matter of a couple of days.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/search.aspx?tx=974c6f0f-48fd-40bb-9e36-e4ef301d946f&o=1&uid=3fa2955e-beeb-4c67-a3af-791621cdcf03

"My" coin which should not be activated yet, is by said person above. My coin---> http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBM9RV

Do I need to send a picture of the coin that was activated (by mistake or on purpose) to show the number on the coin to prove I still have said coin?

And my last question from post #6

If I were to obtain the activation code for the coins I want to keep but not activate at this time, will it keep someone from activated it by mistake or on purpose?

On another note...I decided to check my other USA coins that have not be activated and found one that was activated by another cacher....again I have the coin in the original package along with the activation code sitting in front of me right now. It looks like they have activated 10 USA geocoins in a matter of a couple of days.

"My" coin which should not be activated yet, is by said person above. My coin---> http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TBM9RV

Do I need to send a picture of the coin that was activated (by mistake or on purpose) to show the number on the coin to prove I still have said coin?

If I were to obtain the activation code for the coins I want to keep but not activate at this time, will it keep someone from activated it by mistake or on purpose?

Link for reference:

Contacting Groundspeak

Sounds like it's a Groundspeak issue at this point. Under Request Details, I would probably choose #5 Trackables, and give as many details as you can. If they need picture proof, they'll tell you.

I think it's time for two features:

1) a "register, but not activate" function - if you own a coin you can register that you own the coin without activating it (using your tracking plus your activation code). This means you have to register your unactivated coins, but there's no way anyone else can activate your coin.

(should as well help with the problems about twice-used tracking codes)

2) a "not loggable" function - mark your collection as such and only "write note" logs are allowed for all coins in your collection. Nobody drops and retrieves a big collection in/from an event anymore anyway.

2a) If you want somebody to discover your complete collection ("in your collection"), there should be an option to generate a one-time code that you may give out to the willing discoverer. That person enters it and writes one log entry for all your coins, the system puts it in as logs for all coins and you get only ONE email about it.

(this way no typo leads to coins that are owned by someone else and never logged before...as it happens a lot nowadays)

Even easier: the coin owner picks a user name (after an event or whenever you meet that person) and that user automatically gets the discover-score for all your coins.

The current system seems to be misused a lot and people can't control anymore what happens with their codes. That has to stop.

I think those two suggestion could be able to fix some problems.

Edited by JoergWausW

1) a "register, but not activate" function - if you own a coin you can register that you own the coin without activating it (using your tracking plus your activation code). This means you have to register your unactivated coins, but there's no way anyone else can activate your coin. (should as well help with the problems about twice-used tracking codes)

It could cause many problems when such a registered coin gets traded.

2) a "not loggable" function - mark your collection as such and only "write note" logs are allowed for all coins in your collection. Nobody drops and retrieves a big collection in/from an event anymore anyway.

Yes, temporary locking logs by the owner is a welcome feature!

2a) If you want somebody to discover your complete collection ("in your collection"), there should be an option to generate a one-time code that you may give out to the willing discoverer.

A few external sites has that utlity.

I was just starting thinking....

It could cause many problems when such a registered coin gets traded.

there already is an adoption option - could be inherited.

A few external sites has that utlity.

I'd prefer a gc.com-feature, if I don't have to delete tons of identical mails that way. Plus: external tools may collect your entered codes and don't prevent you from logging wrong ones (of course, can only happen if a coin owner enters a wrong code into that external site)

Could this have something to do with the new project-gc functionality of discovering trackables? If it's just increasing numbers of tracking codes you can generate a massive list within seconds in excel and copy/paste it into their form.

I don't see the good in this feature - because it's so easy to produce big amounts of virtual logs (including wrong ones because of typos/guesses). Should be removed by project-gc as soon as there's an easier way to log an owner's collection to prevent misuse that is obviously happening a lot.

OK, I have some theories for you, but they're just that. :P

This 1962Penney from California activated your old USA Geocoins last month? Coinciding closely date wise with this clown armchair logging 6,000+ USA Geocoins? I smell early Geocoins and their apparently consecutive tracking numbers being discussed on one of those tracking number trading Facebook groups.

I doubt every USA Geocoin had the same activation code, are yours all different? USAgeocoins.com is not, and never has been, a very complicated website. It still looks like it was made with notepad in 1998. :ph34r: Perhaps they have the activation codes stored on their website, and were easily hacked. :o

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Nice reply from Pnov when I emailed them a link to this thread hoping they'd join in on the conversation:

All my problem today logs are deleted. Plus 600 more honest for the last half year.

You're finally happy?

Have a nice day

Ironically, their email ended up in my spam folder and I almost missed it :anibad:

Tell him, "Yes, yes I am. Let that be a lesson to not pull that kind of nonsense again!"

It seems like a couple of times a year somebody gets the bright idea to brute force coin codes (usually the USA ones and those that start with "PC..." I just delete them without comment. The one time the person complained it turned out they had written down a code wrong at an event.

I've received multiple logs on some of my long lost USA coins as well. Just received a batch of false logs from someone called s.m.c. today. Looks like this is going to be an ongoing issue so today, i went ahead and used the gc.com feature, "mark them as missing". Is this enough to keep them from being logged in the future? If not, will it at least stop these emails from showing up in my mailbox?

Marking a trackable "missing" does not affect the ability of anyone to enter a discover log or a grab log.

I figured this action was similar to archiving a cache and that people could still log. I was hoping at least that it would stop the "discovered" emails from coming in but i'm sure that's not the case either. Is there any way to stop those emails?

Oh, i have an idea,,, Keystone, you wanna adopt some long lost geocoins? :P