Making a Wherigo

Lightning20

Welcome to Wherigo. Your iPhone will be able to play cartridges, but not your eTrex.

For building cartridges on a Mac, you can use either Wherigo\\kit or Earwigo as both are web-based cartridge builders. For testing you can use the Webwigo emulator. The links to these are in my signature line.

To start with, you'll need an idea. Don't start building a cartridge without thinking your idea out fully or you'll have to rework a lot of things if your idea changes. Visualize playing your cartridge before you start making it.

Once you have an idea, you can choose a builder. For beginners, I recommend my Kit builder because it has an extremely low learning curve as it only lets you build certain types of basic cartridges. If you can right-click on a map, you can build a cartridge with Kit, so have confidence. Kit also uses the Webwigo emulator so you can see what your cartridge looks like as you're building it. Eventually, you'll want to create more complex cartridges, which is when you'll graduate from Kit to a full-featured builder (Earwigo, in your case) and tackle the learning curve.

Also, you'll need to know the difference between a GWZ and GWC file. A GWZ is a zip file that contains the cartridge script (it's readable in a text editor) and all images in your cartridge. A GWC is a compiled cartridge, playable in a Wherigo player app. Just think of the last letter, zip and cartridge, to keep them straight.

When you need help, please feel free to ask in the forum. There are several people here that like to help out, including myself. It's a nice place to be!

Welcome to Wherigo. Your iPhone will be able to play cartridges, but not your eTrex.

For building cartridges on a Mac, you can use either Wherigo\\kit or Earwigo as both are web-based cartridge builders. For testing you can use the Webwigo emulator. The links to these are in my signature line.

To start with, you'll need an idea. Don't start building a cartridge without thinking your idea out fully or you'll have to rework a lot of things if your idea changes. Visualize playing your cartridge before you start making it.

Once you have an idea, you can choose a builder. For beginners, I recommend my Kit builder because it has an extremely low learning curve as it only lets you build certain types of basic cartridges. If you can right-click on a map, you can build a cartridge with Kit, so have confidence. Kit also uses the Webwigo emulator so you can see what your cartridge looks like as you're building it. Eventually, you'll want to create more complex cartridges, which is when you'll graduate from Kit to a full-featured builder (Earwigo, in your case) and tackle the learning curve.

Also, you'll need to know the difference between a GWZ and GWC file. A GWZ is a zip file that contains the cartridge script (it's readable in a text editor) and all images in your cartridge. A GWC is a compiled cartridge, playable in a Wherigo player app. Just think of the last letter, zip and cartridge, to keep them straight.

When you need help, please feel free to ask in the forum. There are several people here that like to help out, including myself. It's a nice place to be!

thanks

I'm going to assume you're familiar with the Wherigo player UI on the left side of the screen.

You start inside the first zone, so it should say "Here" for the distance. Drag the marker on the map out of the zone and it'll show a distance to the zone. In order to be compatible with all players, Kit uses proximity to a zone to trigger events rather than the zone entry event. Because of this, you might have to wiggle the marker around the edge of a zone to trigger events. I thought, though, I forced Kit to use OnEnter when playing in the emulator and OnProximity when building the cartridge for your use on the Wherigo site.

In that case, limit the number of characters in the text boxes, remove odd characters like braces, and remove HTML.

The only thing stopping me from creating and distributing a Greasemonkey script to fix that page is that I don't know how many people have Greasemonkey installed.

Thanks for helping me there.

I have another problem now.

In my new cartridge I have a key item. The item is transferred, after catching a thief, to the player.

There are two zones after that. In the next zone you need to answer a characters question. The character box shows that the key item is in the characters and when you click on that box no character icons come up and the emulator kind of freezes up not allowing you to go back so you have to restart. Also in the perious zone when you acquire the key if you click on the items it does the same thing. What is going on.

This is happening on the webwigo emulator with the cartridge I created on earwigo.

Any ideas.

I can send you the cartridge file if you want to see it.

I can check it out later this evening. The key is supposed to be in the player's inventory. If you allow the key to be used with the character, however, it would make sense the key's command shows up with the character (that way the player can select to use the item with the character). I would first look to see if you have some sort of OnClick event with the item.

When/if you send me the file, please make sure to package it as a GWZ so I have all the graphics as well.

I can check it out later this evening. The key is supposed to be in the player's inventory. If you allow the key to be used with the character, however, it would make sense the key's command shows up with the character (that way the player can select to use the item with the character). I would first look to see if you have some sort of OnClick event with the item.

When/if you send me the file, please make sure to package it as a GWZ so I have all the graphics as well.

I couldnt send you an email from my account so I will just link it to here. I will delete it from the forum so people dont get my Wherigo,so respond when you have a copy and I can delete it. i solved the problem with key being in characters but when I click on the characters it still does the same thing, the characters are Barry the Pelican and Roger Rattlesnake. When emulating the cartridge remember to look around at all characters and items to see if there are commands.

Respond if you know how to fix it or have any ideas to make it better.

My link

Sorry, but did you send me the cartridge or will your link work? I can work on it Tuesday morning.

I finally climbed out of the depths of Wherigo on Monday and made a cartridge (a real one, not one for testing). It's part of my Signature Tribute series, which means it's for someone, took a lot of time, involved props, and was expensive to create.

Sorry, but did you send me the cartridge or will your link work? I can work on it Tuesday morning.

I finally climbed out of the depths of Wherigo on Monday and made a cartridge (a real one, not one for testing). It's part of my Signature Tribute series, which means it's for someone, took a lot of time, involved props, and was expensive to create.

I think both could work, I don't know if the link is exactly right, I would like to put it on whereto.com, not active though, so I can test in the real world. i can share it to you via email if the other links don't work

Another problem I am having is that when I try to compile the cartridge it gives me this message:

Oops!

The compilation Web service at Wherigo.com returned an error:

soap:Server

Server was unable to process request. ---> Could not find file 'E:\webtempfiles\e55fa4f7-29fe-4bfe-9710-c117e4e9b423'.

What do I do?